New U8230 ROM on HuaweiDevice.com - analysis

Guest PaulOBrien

Update: now available as a rooted update zip. Nandroid backup before applying - download. Interested to hear your thoughts!

As brought to my attention by robot1000... there's a new U8230 ROM on HuaweiDevice.com, dated 2010-02-01 and named U8230V100R001C00B250.

I've downloaded it, i'm extracting now and i'll report back my findings as I go! :)

P

Guest meinnit
As brought to my attention by robot1000... there's a new U8230 ROM on HuaweiDevice.com, dated 2010-02-01 and named U8230V100R001C00B250.

I've downloaded it, i'm extracting now and i'll report back my findings as I go! :)

P

Oooh thats exciting! Does this mean bug fixes?

Boo, cupcake! New tho... will flash it and see if it's COMPLETELY Generic. It might make a good new MCR base if so...

P

# begin build properties

# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh

ro.build.id=CRB17

ro.build.display.id=U8230V100R001C00B250

ro.build.version.incremental=20100117.010538

ro.build.version.sdk=3

ro.build.version.release=1.5

ro.build.date=Sun Jan 17 01:06:59 CST 2010

ro.build.date.utc=1263661619

ro.build.type=user

ro.build.user=huawei

ro.build.host=localhost.localdomain

ro.build.tags=ota-rel-keys,release-keys

ro.product.model=U8230

ro.product.brand=generic

ro.product.name=U8230

ro.product.device=U8230

ro.product.board=

ro.product.manufacturer=HUAWEI

ro.product.locale.language=en

ro.product.locale.region=US

ro.product.ANU=huawei-technology

ro.product.HW_DATE=2009-07-03

ro.board.platform=

# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device

ro.build.product=U8230

# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint

ro.build.description=U8230-user 1.5 CRB17 20100117.010538 ota-rel-keys,release-keys

ro.build.fingerprint=generic/U8230/U8230/U8230:1.5/CRB17/20100117.010538:user/ota-rel-keys,release-keys

wifi.interface=eth0

ro.com.android.dateformat=dd-MM-yyyy

# end build properties

#

# system.prop for U8230

#

rild.libpath=/system/lib/libril-qc-1.so

rild.libargs=-d /dev/smd0

persist.rild.nitz_plmn=

persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_0=

persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_1=

persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_2=

persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_3=

persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_0=

persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_1=

persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_2=

persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_3=

#<BK4D03549 wangqing 20090814 begin

persist.cust.tel.adapt=1

persist.cust.tel.eons=1

#<BK4D03549 wangqing 20090814 end

DEVICE_PROVISIONED=1

use_csp_plmn=0

#<BK4D05771 wuyanming 2009-10-29 begin

#OPERATOR=MOBICOM

#<BK4D05860 fangwei 2009-11-03 begin

#OPERATOR=CHT

#<BK4D05860 fangwei 2009-11-03 end

#<BK4D06428 xiayeliang 2009-11-26 begin

#OPERATOR=WIND

#<BK4D06428 xiayeliang 2009-11-26 end

#OPERATOR=BYTEL

#OPERATOR=TELIA

#OPERATOR=VDF_SPANISH

#<BK4D05771 wuyanming 2009-10-29 end

#<BK4D05367 dengyong 20091013 begin for setting default volume to the max index.

#OPERATOR=TMN

#BK4D05367 dengyong 20091013 begin for setting default volume to the max index.>

#<BK4D07147 xiajinsong 20091215 begin

#OPERATOR=M1_SG

#BK4D07147 xiajinsong 20091215 end>

#<BK4D07360 fangwei 20091215 begin

#OPERATOR=Sunrise_SWI

#BK4D07360 fangwei 20091215 end>

#

# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES

#

ro.url.legal=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/phone-legal.html

ro.url.legal.android_privacy=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/privacy.html

ro.com.google.locationfeatures=1

ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED

ro.config.notification_sound=F1_New_SMS.ogg

ro.config.ringtone=BirdLoop.ogg

ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-huawei

ro.config.sync=yes

net.bt.name=Android

dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

New TouchPal languages for generic TouchPal!

- English

- French

- Portuguese

- German

- CHINESE

- Spanish

Also appears to have Block Breaker and Servo Search, which weirdly weren't in the Bouygues generic ROM.

Updated DocToGo and RoadSync it seems.

P

Well, first of all i'm trying to hack up an update zip for my own use to see what the changes are and have a mooch around. I need to check the phone etc. works because there may well be AMSS (phone ROM) changes that we can't apply on our U8220s (Pulses).

If it all looks good and is generic, I might release the current 1.8 Beta as the last in the current 'pink or vanilla' style, and start building MCR 1.9 based purely on the Vanilla ROM. Maybe. We'll see. :)

P

Guest McSpoon

Huawei have also added something called "modemPre.apk". Dunno what it is, but it is automatically granted with permissions to do anything and everything, from read your emails to access stats, wifi, camera, google accounts, etc. Does anybody have any ideas as to what it's for?

**Puts on a tin-foil hat** It might be best to remove it if you're a Chinese human rights activist that doesn't want the state-sponsored Huawei to have access to your Gmail account. :) LOL Just kidding.

Huawei have also added something called "modemPre.apk". Dunno what it is, but it is automatically granted with permissions to do anything and everything, from read your emails to access stats, wifi, camera, google accounts, etc. Does anybody have any ideas as to what it's for?

**Puts on a tin-foil hat** It might be best to remove it if you're a Chinese human rights activist that doesn't want the state-sponsored Huawei to have access to your Gmail account. B) LOL Just kidding.

Yeah, saw that, will look for anything obvious once i've got it booting. :)

P

I wonder if the U8230 has more ROM... my standard build image created from this update seems to be bigger than will fit into the Pulse!

P

According to some sites, it has the same rom as U8220, although they could be wrong :)

Guest McSpoon
According to some sites, it has the same rom as U8220, although they could be wrong B)

Yep I'm sure it has the same.

It seems this ROM has been filled to the max with extra localisation support :)

Edited by McSpoon

Boo, cupcake!

I was hoping so much for some new confectionery!

All good news though by the sound of it - to know that they're still actively developing it makes me more confident that it will see 2.x at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Do the new localisations indicate possible releases in new territories? If so, great news!

Guest McSpoon

Yep I encountered the same, although it worked after the 3rd or 4th bootloop. But had no space left.

And it looks like they've recently updated the T-Mobile UK Pulse CD-ROM too.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/down...B004_TMO_UK.zip

(I haven't bothered to download it, so I've no idea whats new. It's probably just the same old rubbish).

Guest McSpoon
Would you mind sharing some scripts needed to play with this, ie build scripts etc

There is a Perl script to unpack the UPDATA.APP file in this thread. It should give you the 'boot.img' file and 'system.img'. You can then use fastboot to flash those images to your device. As always, make a nandroid backup first.

But there isn't anything exciting in this ROM. It's the same old cupcake as before. :)