Genie Widget For 1.5

Guest deeone

The app seems to be UK based?

I live the the US, and the weather widget is displaying the weather of my location correctly, but all the "top stories" are UK's top stories and the news sources are mainly UK sources.... Is there anyway to change the news sources to the US or any other countries?

Guest iLoveAndroid
The app seems to be UK based?

I live the the US, and the weather widget is displaying the weather of my location correctly, but all the "top stories" are UK's top stories and the news sources are mainly UK sources.... Is there anyway to change the news sources to the US or any other countries?

I live in the US and it shows my current weather and US stories

I live in the US and it shows my current weather and US stories

I found out that it has to do with locale setting. I am using Modaco 3.1, which does not have Enlish (US), and I chose the nearest locale English (UK) and thus I am getting all UK related news. If I select English (Russia)... it doesn't give me Russian news, it gives me US news! Weird! How do I install English (US) locale onto my phone? Although I am able to get US news with English (Russian), I don't want to confuse other apps that read the locale of my phone.

EDIT: Problem solved! "More Locale 2" on the market does the job.

Edited by khtse

It almost works on my Galaxy.

After many tests, I've noticed some odd behaviour :

The app launch correctly until I set a custom location (or enable wireless/gps positioning). If I do so, the app force close at launch.

After setting the location, both weather et news widgets work correctly, even if the app force close.

Hope it could be usefull for devs :-).

This is great :D Love it :D

I think the "low quality" background has to do with Android 1.5 only supporting 65000 colors I believe.

2.x supports 256k or even 16.7m I believe. Something like that :lol:

Question though, I am from Holland and always have my gadgets on English as translations are really awful often. But when I am on English (Netherlands) the news and weather widget shows the UK news. Only when I switch my locale to Dutch (Netherlands) I get the Dutch news.

Is it possible to force this and switch my phone language back to English?

I know when you keep the widget and change the language back to English it stays Dutch, but after a reboot it doesn't remember this.

How would you update the app

You can't right now, because is an unofficial porting of a 2.1 application. I don't know if there is really an update because atrackdog sometime goes mad and gives false positives. If someone find an update for this app quicker then me, please let me know so i will update the app in the first post too :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Higgsy

Anyone having issues with genie widget today - I can't get it to display UK news - Its displaying US news, It was ok yesterday. My Locale is correct en/GB and I have even tried morelocale2 and still same. Uninstalled and reinstalled and same. Funny thing is if you go into the settings it shows UK is selected and US isnt even in the list!

Guest bigviv
Anyone having issues with genie widget today - I can't get it to display UK news - Its displaying US news, It was ok yesterday. My Locale is correct en/GB and I have even tried morelocale2 and still same. Uninstalled and reinstalled and same. Funny thing is if you go into the settings it shows UK is selected and US isnt even in the list!

same here, quite annoying

anyone figured out how to resolve this US only issue?

Guest Higgsy

G

same here, quite annoying

anyone figured out how to resolve this US only issue?

Mate i have tried everything, wipes, fresh flashes of roms. I have decided its a google back end issue and am no longer using at the moment, pissed of really i used it alot, us news is of no use to me whatsoever

Guest bigviv
G

Mate i have tried everything, wipes, fresh flashes of roms. I have decided its a google back end issue and am no longer using at the moment, pissed of really i used it alot, us news is of no use to me whatsoever

yup, great little widget - shame they have this issue

Guest Dan Mullen

I've got exactly the same problem - I'm wondering if it's anything to do with Swype? I noticed that Swype's English is English (US). Probably not...

Edited by Dan Mullen

Guest bigviv
I've got exactly the same problem - I'm wondering if it's anything to do with Swype? I noticed that Swype's English is English (US). Probably not...

seems to work ok now, sorted! :)

• 1 month later...