Google Map Cell Tower Triangulation fails beyond v.3.2.1

Guest arirang

Guest arirang

3.2.1 is the last version where My Location using cell tower-triangulation function works, though GPS works on all versions. it's a great function when i don't need an exact fix [<1KM]. i'm certain it's something that has been added/subtracted from 3.2.1. as a baseline, i have Google Search Today plug-in with My Location enabled, and it works regardless of which GM version is installed.

other GPS-based apps installed are GPSWeatherRadar, GeoTerrestrial GPSToday, while Google Search is the only cell tower-triangulation app installed.

if a higher/recent version [ie-4.0] is working on yours, pls share whose ROM you're using and/or comments, suggestions, confirmations.

thanks in advance.

Guest paxtonland
3.2.1 is the last version where My Location using cell tower-triangulation function works, though GPS works on all versions. it's a great function when i don't need an exact fix [<1KM]. i'm certain it's something that has been added/subtracted from 3.2.1. as a baseline, i have Google Search Today plug-in with My Location enabled, and it works regardless of which GM version is installed.

other GPS-based apps installed are GPSWeatherRadar, GeoTerrestrial GPSToday, while Google Search is the only cell tower-triangulation app installed.

if a higher/recent version [ie-4.0] is working on yours, pls share whose ROM you're using and/or comments, suggestions, confirmations.

thanks in advance.

No problems here at all. Am currently on Lioryte's 23529 and running googlemaps 4.0.

Guest arirang
No problems here at all. Am currently on Lioryte's 23529 and running googlemaps 4.0.

just to confirm...you're able to get a My Location fix based on cell-tower triangulation? only v3.2.1's triangulation works on mine, while GPS works fine on all versions.

Edited by arirang

Guest thedoomster

I am using Google Maps 4.00 on my I910 with Lioryte Base 23529 ROM. It starts up and almost instantly finds my location within 2000 meters, no matter where I am. It seems to be fairly accurate so far. It doesn't say I'm in the Middle East when I'm in California.

Guest arirang
I am using Google Maps 4.00 on my I910 with Lioryte Base 23529 ROM. It starts up and almost instantly finds my location within 2000 meters, no matter where I am. It seems to be fairly accurate so far. It doesn't say I'm in the Middle East when I'm in California.

some reason, in my geo-area, 3.2.1 triangulates but not higher versions. from my research, it's largely based on google's database of towers. maybe it's not registering in my area? i tried a map reset, and phone location reset [*228].

i've duplicated on both 282xx and 235xx branch.

Edited by arirang

Guest paxtonland
just to confirm...you're able to get a My Location fix based on cell-tower triangulation?

Yep. Pretty quickly too. Not sure about how quick compared to the older versions. But, no problems at all.

Have you done *228 > 2 to update towers (just a thought)?

Guest arirang
Just added Google 4.0 to Storms MD2 with NilSE theme addon.

HOLY CRAP Batman It qiuck ;) :D

:( :D

is cellular-triangulation working on your install? did you have a different version before installing 4.0? any add'l steps taken before the install? delete app-related folders or files, etc?

Guest SilverPony2001
is cellular-triangulation working on your install? did you have a different version before installing 4.0? any add'l steps taken before the install? delete app-related folders or files, etc?

Works fine for me. Put me at 2500 meters right away. Google Maps 4.0 and Lioryte 28223.

Guest arirang
Works fine for me. Put me at 2500 meters right away. Google Maps 4.0 and Lioryte 28223.

where did you install? Device? My Storage? i always installed on Device

Guest corpisa

thanks in advance.

huh.. I thought it was my phone but you are right, I have the same problem I guess since the version you are pointing out !! GPS fix does work with no problem and search locates things I want where I am not where my locations is showing but not sure if after gps lock or not.

believed me I´m no were near this place ;)

using version 4 downloaded today.

EDIT: obviously I can only search local places after gps is fixed in current location if I hit My Location trying to get cell tower triangulation only none of my searches work :D

post-209926-1265834802_thumb.png

Edited by corpisa

Guest event121

thanks in advance.

All version of GM have done aGPS in under a second when loaded. GPS works as well.

Most current setup:

Lioryte 23102

Install process:

VZNavigator

QuickGPS

GM (any version, currently with 4.0 and using Buzz)

GPS Weather Radar

All installed to MY STORAGE except QuickGPS to device

typically run QuickGPS first for kicks

run VZNavigator once to complete setup and do a find me (only once, rarely use, and have never had a case where running this first makes any difference, but it's always installed)

Conversely, I can not get Bing GPS to work for the life of me.

Still on my first Omnia. Over a year old. Began flashing after CF03 came out and have flashed only to CF03 roms (mostly 6.5 ones).

Agps & Gps

It worked on my last Gmap B4 4.0

I just installed on device I usally install on My Memory.

Buzz works great... ;)

:D :(

I don't know if this is related or not, but for the last while (not sure how long, probably just with latest builds) I get the following error whenever I try to run Google Maps:

Network Unavailable.

This application requires a data connection. Please contact your carrier.

(Error: parse version error 15393)

I can then choose to Retry or Exit. Retry goes back to the Google Maps loading page and then after 5-10 seconds I get the error again. Needless to say I working have a data connection that I use for email/web/etc. I haven't tried the older Google Maps yet.

I don't know if this is related, but it prevents me from checking if AGPS works ;).

Guest nate.mcbride

i've had no problems, was using it today for both cell tower triangulation and gps. found me within 2400m right away. i'm using one of Lioryte's roms.. forget which. Installed on my storage.

Guest arirang
i've had no problems, was using it today for both cell tower triangulation and gps. found me within 2400m right away. i'm using one of Lioryte's roms.. forget which. Installed on my storage.

i dont know why 3.2.x works and 4.0 doesn't--i've reinstalled them a half-dozen times, and the results are the same. it can't be for lack of towers because google search today plug-in also uses agps and it runs regardless of whether 4.0 is installed. i suspect a malformed packet is somewhere in the mix. yet based on responses here, it's working elsewhere. if it's a local issue, then 3.2 is the only way to go. truth be told, our omnia doesnt have the hottest gps chip, so agps is a great fallback even if it means holding back on a higher rev.

in the meantime, i'll be lurking for answers and give it another go when i flash again. that's something i'd like to see, someone with the issue, then resolved after a flash with their existing or a different rom, or simply re-installed onto My Storage--i always install gps-related SW on the Device.

Edited by arirang

Guest Grouper

Strange, I'm using the same build from Lioryte. You have Verizon, yes? Did you install to My Storage?

EDIT: I just did a hard reset with Lioryte's build 23529 and installed Google Maps 4.0.0 to My Storage (as a few people here say they did) and it still doesn't work.

Edited by Grouper

Arirang

"in the meantime, i'll be lurking for answers and give it another go when i flash again. that's something i'd like to see, someone with the issue, then resolved after a flash with their existing or a different rom, or simply re-installed onto My Storage--i always install gps-related SW on the Device. "

Hey Arirang...

I added myGmap 4.0 from a cab I got at Omniarom in the app area...

Maybe if you try a uninstall add grap the cab there it might help ;)

:D :(

I remembered reading this....???? From Waremike

QUOTE(The Eleven @ Jan 2 2010, 16:15) *

Is there any way to add the Ti Radar to Ti Weather? I use GPS Weather Radar Pro with Radar Merge and I really miss it. Thanks.

There is a conflict between the HTCSensorSDK.dll that Titanium Radar uses and the new Google Maps, I'm still looking for a compatible version of this dll.

Edited by kdkinc

Just installed 4.0 and have no problems, cell tower triangulation appeared in seconds. didn't uninstall the old GM before and installed to device. i'm using waremikes nurom.

I have been using blazingwolf Night v1.4, 23016 Neo Titanium for around 8 months now and have no issues with this version... the only problem is that if I use any google map higher than 3.2 and press to relocate my location it closes by it self....

I would like to know if someone know how to fix this,...

thanks in advance...

Guest arirang

i've flashed to V28223 [lior's], clean install of GM 4.0 and AGPS issue persists--location is temporarily unavailable. i duplicated it on this pristine image--only other app was geoterrestrial today screen, and google search today plugin. the former was to 'prime' the GPS chip, the latter to confirm AGPS info was available. the AGPS information is out there and the phone is receiving it since google search today plugin's AGPS shows an accurate zipcode. but for some reason 4.0 cant use that same AGPS info and at the very least locate within a zipcode radius.

hope i saved someone a flash or troubleshooting step.

Guest Grouper
Just installed 4.0 and have no problems, cell tower triangulation appeared in seconds. didn't uninstall the old GM before and installed to device. i'm using waremikes nurom.

Could you please tell us which version of GM you had installed before hand? Did you install to device memory or my storage? Did you run Google Maps before updating? What build of his ROM are you using? What carrier you are on, etc, etc.

Edited by Grouper

• 2 weeks later...