How to encode video for hero

Guest jay8ee

Just read this blog over at Smor.tv and it has some good info on how to use Handbrake, which is free video encoding software, to encode high quality x.h264 video for the Hero and Eris. I just tried it myself and thought I would share my results using the exact settings provided in the blog.

Screen captures come direct from device using the Dalvik debug monitor;

post-604460-1266442174_thumb.jpg

post-604460-1266442181_thumb.jpg

post-604460-1266442188_thumb.jpg

The full Family Guy episode takes up about 80MB on the sd card. Looks + sounds amazing. If anything the sound is out of sync by the tiniest fraction, but only noticeable because I am fussy like that.

Guest nscxp2005

I would like to suggest a application that makes fantastic videos at a small size.

It is an app called IpodMe.

IpodMe

I encoded a 700mb dvdrip down to 186mb, fantastic picture and audio

I hope people like this.

All the best

NSCXP2005

Guest Dr Hotdog

That's a coincidence, I read the exact same blog as the OP yesterday and followed the suggested settings there for my first attempt at using Handbrake to transcode a DVD for playback on my Hero. Worked like a charm, and I couldn't really fault the audio or picture quality. Using the settings from the link apart from audio dynamic range compression a 2 hour movie (The Big LebowskiI) resulted in a 430 MB file. I'm going to experiment with settings though, I think it may be possible to increase the compression ratio a little without compromising playback.

I looked at the IpodMe link, but it seems to be Windows only. As I use Linux I'll be sticking to Handbrake, it's multiplatform.

Guest nscxp2005

Dr Hotdog,

I know that the developer of IpodME is making a Mac version, I will try and contact him to find out if he will consider making a Linux version, I use Linux myself and I hope he does port it.

NSCXP2005

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nscxp2005

pelomeke,

Do you know how to get Double Twist to work with the HTC Hero and convert videos?

I have tried to drop a AVI file on the program but it wont encode it.

Please can you advise me.

NSCXP2005

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Jacob Emily
Is there any free software to rip a DVD to my computer, which i can then use handbrake to get it onto my phone?

well, u can use this all-in-one DVD tool which can rip and convert your DVDs to your phone directly. I have used it to rip my avatar DVD to my phone. The quality is great. And it is very easy to use for newbies like me. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jacob Emily

Guest mifran
well, u can use this all-in-one DVD tool which can rip and convert your DVDs to your phone directly. I have used it to rip my avatar DVD to my phone. The quality is great. And it is very easy to use for newbies like me. :(

I use winff it does all movies and has an android setting and can also be used to convert audio formats to mp3

mifran

• 1 month later...
Guest baakeandy

video to android htc

video-converter.gif

Aunsoft Video Converter helps you convert between various formats. It is the must-have conversion tool for video lovers, and enables you to enjoy movies on computer, to further edit video for creation, to present video on HDTV, and to publish video online in web-friendly format. You can control your video and music on popular portable devices including iPad, Nexus One, HTC Hero, Zune, iPod, PSP, Apple TV, iPhone anytime anywhere.

Aunsoft Video Converter supports a lot of video and audio formats. It can convert TiVo to MPEG for you, making it easy for you to burn the output MPEG file to DVD with burning software. Then you can enjoy recorded TV shows anytime you want. It converts MKV, MTS, M2TS, TOD, MOD, TS, FLV, MXF to MP4, WMV for you to play different videos on portable devices like iPad, iPhone 4, Zune, PSP, XboX 360, Apple TV, WD TV, Nexus One, HTC Android Phones, HTC Legend, Archos, Sansa. And it can even let you convert the popular Flip Video and Flip HD video from Flip Mino, Flip Ultra, Flip MinoHD, Flip Ultra HD, Flip SlideHD pocket camcorders with high quality.

With this powerful converter, you can also convert videos for video editing software like Adobe Premiere, Windows Movie Maker, Sony Vegas, and upload video to YouTube and MySpace to share videos.

Guest Jacob Emily

Why shall we choose this video converter

The following details attracted us:

Transcode videos like TiVo, M2TS, MOD, VOB, AVI, WMV, MKV, Flash videos etc for portable devices like iPad, iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, Android etc.

Faster conversion speed, saving you at least half time to convert a same file.

Better output video quality without any audio and video sync issues

Edited by Jacob Emily

• 3 years later...