Back to the Basics (UPDATED CF03, DC22 & DF14) - Reformed Flashaholic

Guest dgyahn

Guest dgyahn
You should have cabbed the registry settings. Woulda been easy to install/uninstall.

Most registry edits are now CABed and ready to install. Install these to your "Main Memory".

Guest peperonikiller
I haven't, but you're a 6.5 guy. I'm a 6.1 guy.

JJ

since i started using 6.5 i cant go back, ive tried and i just cant do it lol

Guest Fa310tx
since i started using 6.5 i cant go back, ive tried and i just cant do it lol

I'm the exact opposite. I view 6.5 like Windows 95. I really want to like it. I installed it nearly a dozen times, thinking that I would like it "this time". Every time I went back to 6.1 and 3.11, respectively. When Windows 98 came out, I switched without looking back. When 98SE came out, I switched. When Nt4 came out, I switched. When 2k came out, I switched. I hated ME. I didn't like Xp, but was forced into using it when programs started requiring Sp2. I still don't use Sp3. I hate Vista and I don't care for Win7, much.

I will say that I like 6.5.x more than vanilla 6.5, but still not as much as 6.1.

JJ

Guest rfarrah
I'm the exact opposite. I view 6.5 like Windows 95. I really want to like it. I installed it nearly a dozen times, thinking that I would like it "this time". Every time I went back to 6.1 and 3.11, respectively. When Windows 98 came out, I switched without looking back. When 98SE came out, I switched. When Nt4 came out, I switched. When 2k came out, I switched. I hated ME. I didn't like Xp, but was forced into using it when programs started requiring Sp2. I still don't use Sp3. I hate Vista and I don't care for Win7, much.

I will say that I like 6.5.x more than vanilla 6.5, but still not as much as 6.1.

JJ

I hate to say this, but you REALLY need to get more comfortable with CHANGE. :(

Guest Fa310tx
I hate to say this, but you REALLY need to get more comfortable with CHANGE. :(

Well, at least I know the OP is with me!!!

Old's-cool...

I like Quickmenu. In a world becoming ever-more like apple products, it keeps my windows phone staunchly where it should be. 6.5 just doesn't play nice with it.

But, in the words of Monty Python, "Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who. This is supposed to be a happy occasion."

Let's not, un-necessarily jump onto page 3.

JJ

Guest SuzukiDan

Just want to give an update, I tried this 'back to the basics' routine and it worked decent, better than OEM but .. sorry its still the crappy OEM OS. Slow, laggy, annoying.

So I followed the advice of some posters here, and tried Liorytes 28223 build with various supporting apps such as S2U2, smarlock, Opera, google maps etc and I gotta say, it blows my mind how much better this is. I also downloaded the M2D all in one cab and that is pretty slick too! Touch response , scrolling are both AMAZING in comparison. Menus make more sense. I can actually watch youtube vids with internet explorer / media player.

And the best part is , its STABLE! I've only had a few bugs which have been resolved. I had the phone choke up on me 2-3 times but thats no different than the OEM rom was. Battery life has been at least as good as OEM ROM.

So moral of the story is, if you are like me and afraid to flash, then try this basic setup but it will never perform like this 28223 rom.. this is my first time flashing so I cant say how good other roms are in comparison, maybe they are bad enough that people would prefer the stable OEM rom.

Edited by SuzukiDan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tailgunner05

is there a way to uninstall or disable opera 9.5 from the original rom? id love to stop flashing but the one thing i hate bout the cf03 is that on the widget today screen, the internet button goes to 9.5 even if u have 10.3 installed

Guest dgyahn
is there a way to uninstall or disable opera 9.5 from the original rom? id love to stop flashing but the one thing i hate bout the cf03 is that on the widget today screen, the internet button goes to 9.5 even if u have 10.3 installed

You need a registry editor to do this. There is one attached to Post #1 but here it is again.

Open your registry editor and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Shell/Rai

Highlight the :DEFBROWSER item

Key 0=Opera Browser

Key 1="the path to your Opera Browser .exe file"

Exit your registry editor and you should be good to go.

I would test it before you delete the original Opera files.

regedit.Mrln_ARM.cab

Edited by dgyahn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pacmantravis

How did you get it set up like in the 3rd screenshot? The one where the clock is on the top and it has an orange/yellow background?

Guest dgyahn
How did you get it set up like in the 3rd screenshot? The one where the clock is on the top and it has an orange/yellow background?

You select this from your settings menu. Go to Start/Settings/Home/Items. Check the Samsung Today box and exit. You can change some of the shortcuts by a long press on the icon and selecting edit.

Edited by dgyahn

Guest pacmantravis
You select this from your settings menu. Go to Start/Settings/Home/Items. Check the Samsung Today box and exit. You can change some of the shortcuts by a long press on the icon and selecting edit.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maneddi

"With that being said I decided to flash back the stock Verizon 6.1 CF03 ROM and just add the registry edits and programs I need and use. I no longer have any problems with anything I use my phone for. No dropped calls, no problems with SMS or MMS, internet tethering works, Wi-Fi works, GPS works, long battery life, it's fast and most importantly, EVERYTHING JUST PLAIN WORKS!!!"

i couldn't agree more. i just recently discovered flashing and i would rather have the stock rom with just a couple of minor mods for my preferences. i flashed back to the stock rom last nite but it is the new cf22 rom. can you confirm if the cabs and reg edits you have are valid for this rom before i try them and brick my phone?

Guest sbpetro

Tried to go back to CF03 basic but when I got done flashing I now have the align screen loop and cannot figure out how to get beyond it.

Any Help?

Guest tractor101
Tried to go back to CF03 basic but when I got done flashing I now have the align screen loop and cannot figure out how to get beyond it.

Any Help?

First poke and hold untill the target gets to the next stop, repeat. If that don't work, try drawing little circles intead of pocking the target.

You could also make a blank text file called "welcome.not" and stick it in the storage card; that will bypass the initial cal. The only problem, your calibration could be way-off and you would have to know how to do it by reg edit.

Guest dgyahn

Any Help?

Try flashing the ROM again. Make sure you are using the official Verizon ROM update file. Do not use UMDL to flash back to your original ROM. The link to the original Verizon update file is in Post #40.

Guest dgyahn
"With that being said I decided to flash back the stock Verizon 6.1 CF03 ROM and just add the registry edits and programs I need and use. I no longer have any problems with anything I use my phone for. No dropped calls, no problems with SMS or MMS, internet tethering works, Wi-Fi works, GPS works, long battery life, it's fast and most importantly, EVERYTHING JUST PLAIN WORKS!!!"

i couldn't agree more. i just recently discovered flashing and i would rather have the stock rom with just a couple of minor mods for my preferences. i flashed back to the stock rom last nite but it is the new cf22 rom. can you confirm if the cabs and reg edits you have are valid for this rom before i try them and brick my phone?

I haven't tried any of these with the new DC22 ROM. I don't believe that they would brick your phone though. The reg edits and cabs all worked on the previous 2 versions of the ROM. I would try the registry edit cabs one at a time to see if you run into problems. If so you could always reflash the stock rom using the official updater and start again.

Guest maneddi

in response to post #41 i have the same problem. i have opera 10 installed but the globe in the touch wiz points to opera 9. you said

"Open your registry editor and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Shell/Rai

Highlight the :DEFBROWSER item

Key 0=Opera Browser

Key 1="the path to your Opera Browser .exe file"

Exit your registry editor and you should be good to go."

i did this and key 1 had the path to opera 10... i'm lost... ;) can you be more specific on what to do to get the touch wiz globe to point to opera 10?