Back to the Basics (UPDATED CF03, DC22 & DF14) - Reformed Flashaholic

Guest dgyahn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mackrox

THANK YOU. I been having issues with custom roms.. freezing, flat out super slow and laggy, having to rotate it to get it to update the screen. Now if we can get all these tweaks put into the D22 rom that'd be awesome!

Guest peperonikiller

I guess it is personal preference, but for a person like me with big fingers, WinMo 6.5 is SO Much easier to use, that and i just cook my own roms so i can customize it to my hearts content.

Guest xcapone
Tried to go back to CF03 basic but when I got done flashing I now have the align screen loop and cannot figure out how to get beyond it.

Any Help?

I noticed a similar issue. I hard reset-ed and it performed fine. hard reset if i remember correctly, is pin hole, hold talk and end key till it asks you yes or no, and then talk key again to select yes to hard reset. Keep in mind you should back up anything important.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nmayer79
I've updated Post #1 to reflect how to get internet tethering working through your Omnia Wi-Fi connection.

great thread!! these are some cabs/ fixes i havent really seen anywhere else, bravo

Guest chopperthedog

I was feeling bogged down as well. Was never a flashaholic I just constantly f*cked with my device. And realized that my device is not a whoopie cushion, shot gun, magic 8 ball, percussion instrument, piano, and a titty jiggle thing. It's supposed to be a PHONE with some cool features! And never mind every UI/SIP that was installed and removed trying to find the right combo. But I went straight from CC20 to DC22 using an Acer netbook with 7 starter and the UMDL. The only issue I had flashing was the screen height would not allow full veiw of the UMDL so I had plug the netbook into my toshiba 37". So after starting from scratch all registry edits still apply the net 3.5 is key but when I received my first call I was reminded of one edit left out.

Stupid increasing ring. HKCU\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Ring\AttenuationCategory change to "1" Now loud on first ring.

And the in-call volume with DC22 does not need to be changed it's nice and loud from the get go. Also I can't speak for the cabs I just did all registry edits with resco.

Things I notice with DC22.

1. I.E. is still a slow piece of crap but scrolling is nice now. I prefer Ucweb 7 anyway.

2. Taking a photo and hitting send mms within the camera returns no errors. even with pic at 2560 x 1920.

3. Cell triangulation within Google maps is sweet (VZW was only a few years behind on this one).

4. GPS lock within 30 seconds in iGO and Google maps without Gps gate or any other app.

Things I notice with just cleaning and rebuilding

1. Touch pal doesn't just disappear while I'm typing.

2. WAD2 doesn't freeze when I receive a text/email/mms. been 4 days and wad2 has not froze yet. (knock knock)

3. Everything has pep to it with no delay.

4. No errors on soft-reset (something could not be started because a critical bla bla bla).

5. When I hit button to wake the device up. It does.

6. Screen is much clearer.

7. Battery life. I am at 70% after a normal day of calls, surfing, and texting with weather panel and active sync doing their thing every 30 minutes. Before cleaning WP/AS were set for every hour and after a normal day I would have been at 40% or it would be beeping.

So now I have a phone with.

WAD2 and no other lock screens WAD has a fine one, Touchpal, SMSChat, iconsoftphonex, Youtube app, Midomi, UCweb7, Gmaps, iGO, Core player, s2p, Rotation Service, Touch Responce and a couple non flash games uno, yahtzee, teeter. And everyone is happy.

I see no need for Flash or Java. I could care less if it says "no service" in s2p. And for some reason I also don't need to use SIP change anymore it just stays on touch pal now. Also I am done with boot and shutdown screens and any other goofy sh!t.

I added a blank alarm2.wav I also forgot how that loud "BLUNK" made me jump every time when I was not expecting it.

Just copy to windows and replace. Alarm2.wav

That is my story. Clean livin'.

good day.

Edited by chopperthedog

Guest andrew.mazlim

Can't agree more with this topic... but, since someone flash a new 6.5.x build (especially "JN Foundation" roms), the visuals are... REMARKABLE!!!!!!

I can't go back to SOOOO POOR graphics/visuals, like 6.1s'...

And I don't using my OMNIA sooooo much, I don't "playing" with it toooo much, I don't watching videos/listening music or making video calls. I'm just a simple regular phone user; sms & calls.

So, I think I "can" stay in 6.5.x roms. Especially about "JN Foundation" roms, I found them SOOO stable, as far as the MOST beautiful in the net!

Cheers.

Guest bearhntr
Hi All,

I’ll probably get a lot of flak for this but I’m going to post it anyway.

First off I would say how much I enjoy this forum. Kudos to all the chefs and members. There are an incredible amount of talented people who are on this forum and I have learned a great deal and have been a confirmed flash-aholic for some time.

I wanted to share with you my personal observation.

dgyahn,

This is an absolutely GREAT POST. I am rapidly reaching the point you have reached - albeit, I think I am going to flash up to the DC22 ROM from Samsung/Verizon.

I love that you posted all the CABs, but it would have been much more effective if you put them as ONE .zipped download (MHO). :-)

I have book marked this page - as I may be in the canoe with you soon.

*BH*

Guest bearhntr
Can't agree more with this topic... but, since someone flash a new 6.5.x build (especially "JN Foundation" roms), the visuals are... REMARKABLE!!!!!!

I can't go back to SOOOO POOR graphics/visuals, like 6.1s'...

And I don't using my OMNIA sooooo much, I don't "playing" with it toooo much, I don't watching videos/listening music or making video calls. I'm just a simple regular phone user; sms & calls.

So, I think I "can" stay in 6.5.x roms. Especially about "JN Foundation" roms, I found them SOOO stable, as far as the MOST beautiful in the net!

Cheers.

So where are these JN Foundation ROMs that you are talking about, and are they i900 or i910 ROMs?

Thanks,

*BH*

Guest chopperthedog
So where are these JN Foundation ROMs that you are talking about, and are they i900 or i910 ROMs?

Thanks,

*BH*

Not for the i910. His version of stable might be jaded.

good day.

Guest Maver

Hey, I decided to do the same, flashed back to the DC22, And i'm not really enjoying it.

For the past few days I haven't really had a problem, but I've still been frustrated.

The main thing for me is GPS, i can never seem it to work that quick, even with the stock rom but thats probably a me issue.

The problems I have

1. There's very little room to install much, even when you goto mystorage you know it still loads files in device memory

2. While i do enjoy the speed, i don't enjoy the having no ram, trying to run garman and a music player one will always quit

3. It's really buggy, I keep having google and garman and every other program shuts down with some kind of an errror that it asks me to send to microsoft

4. Not touch friendly at all

5. no threaded email

6. No new bing support, so i can't get turn by turn

What i do like

I like the easy to access task manager

I like the media manager

I love the volume control how can i get this in 6.5.x?

IT's awesome to have google voice search working now

It's also great to have ayege infinity working properly

I do like the touch button being more responsive

So i'm still not sure how i feel about it, i feel like i might be going back to a 6.5.3

you guys talk about it being faster but i guess i don't notice it because i've always been using bare roms with 6.5

I would love added battery life, but i feel like the cost of that is too high, i did get a extended battery so i guess it doesn't bother me as much as others.

I guess i would stick with it if I could get

bing to work,

if it didn't use up all the memory with all this stuff

Then i probably wouldn't mind all the non finger friendliness of it.

Does anyone know of a 6.1 rom? and how to get bing to install on the 6.1? I can get it to work after, but now when i install it says unsupported resoultion where in 6.5 it installs just fine.

Thanks for the help guys

Guest cac2us
Hey, I decided to do the same, flashed back to the DC22, And i'm not really enjoying it.

For the past few days I haven't really had a problem, but I've still been frustrated.

The main thing for me is GPS, i can never seem it to work that quick, even with the stock rom but thats probably a me issue.

The problems I have

1. There's very little room to install much, even when you goto mystorage you know it still loads files in device memory

2. While i do enjoy the speed, i don't enjoy the having no ram, trying to run garman and a music player one will always quit

3. It's really buggy, I keep having google and garman and every other program shuts down with some kind of an errror that it asks me to send to microsoft

4. Not touch friendly at all

5. no threaded email

6. No new bing support, so i can't get turn by turn

What i do like

I like the easy to access task manager

I like the media manager

I love the volume control how can i get this in 6.5.x?

IT's awesome to have google voice search working now

It's also great to have ayege infinity working properly

I do like the touch button being more responsive

So i'm still not sure how i feel about it, i feel like i might be going back to a 6.5.3

you guys talk about it being faster but i guess i don't notice it because i've always been using bare roms with 6.5

I would love added battery life, but i feel like the cost of that is too high, i did get a extended battery so i guess it doesn't bother me as much as others.

I guess i would stick with it if I could get

bing to work,

if it didn't use up all the memory with all this stuff

Then i probably wouldn't mind all the non finger friendliness of it.

Does anyone know of a 6.1 rom? and how to get bing to install on the 6.1? I can get it to work after, but now when i install it says unsupported resoultion where in 6.5 it installs just fine.

Thanks for the help guys

I cooked a DC22_21507 (6.1) ROM.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/12702333/dc2d4535/sharing.html

Check out the other ROMs. You might like DC22_21904

Edited by cac2us

Guest fsb2cool2care
Hi All,

I wanted to share with you my personal observation.

After flashing WM6.1, 6.5 and 6.5.x ROMs I came to the realization that I would never find the "PERFECT" set-up for my Omnia. I've used Storm's, WereMike's, Wozer's, Lyorite's, Blazingwolf's, et all roms. I've used Titanium, M2D, Flotanium, SPB Mobile Shell, Winterface, WAD and others.

Hi dgyahn, I agree with most of your sentiments. WM 6.5 wasn't much-- if any-- of an improvement to me. Flotanium, Titanium, Shmotanium.

I just flashed the new verizon DC22 update. I have a few questions for you. I'd really appreciate it if you could take the time to answer.

Enable Filesystem Cache: Why is this advantageous?

Increase FileSystem Cache: Why is this advantageous?

I recommend you add to your list FdcSoft's Task Manager.

What did you not like about SPB mobile shell? It's the slickest, smoothest, sweetest app that I've seen for WM. I just don't like the price. Too bad someone hasn't figured out where it keeps track of the number of days for the trial period. :rolleyes:

Guest Fa310tx

I hadn't found any stability issues with the official dc22 rom. The space issue will always be there with the factory rom.

That's really the main reason I keep cooking. I stick with 6.1/m2d2. Plus, I don't have to install any programs, settings, and stuff. Also, none of the omnia m2d2 cabs that I've tried have weather on my today tab. Cooking in works just fine. The only thing that I have to do after an install is run a .reg that doesn't work in the cook.

JJ

Edit...

Scratch the .reg thing. For some reason, the .reg doesn't work on dc22. I'm not sure if it's the new rom or my switch from vistang's visual kitchen to oskitchen. I haven't been able to get vibration with ezinput (that's what the .reg was for), since dc22.

JJ

Edited by Fa310tx

Guest xcapone
I hadn't found any stability issues with the official dc22 rom. The space issue will always be there with the factory rom.

That's really the main reason I keep cooking. I stick with 6.1/m2d2. Plus, I don't have to install any programs, settings, and stuff. Also, none of the omnia m2d2 cabs that I've tried have weather on my today tab. Cooking in works just fine. The only thing that I have to do after an install is run a .reg that doesn't work in the cook.

JJ

why do you prefer 6.1?

Guest Fa310tx
why do you prefer 6.1?

The biggest reason is software incompatibility. Because of the new start menu system, quickmenu doesn't work properly. Also, with the new start button at the bottom, quickmenu still runs from the top. Pocket e-Sword (bible program) doesn't have a close option when the close button is at the bottom. Plus, the new finger-friendly sizing screws up the program buttons so that you can't access all of them in portrait (they just barely fit in landscape). There's also inconsistency in the setting screens. Some have soft-edged tabs at the bottom, some have top arrows, and some have 6.1 style block tabs.

If more programs come out with 6.5 versions, maybe I'll switch. Right now, though, I endure 6.5. I use 6.1. Plus, there are very few things that I've seen 6.5 have advantage with. There's no real attraction to the update, for me.

JJ

Guest dgyahn
Hi dgyahn, I agree with most of your sentiments. WM 6.5 wasn't much-- if any-- of an improvement to me. Flotanium, Titanium, Shmotanium.

I just flashed the new verizon DC22 update. I have a few questions for you. I'd really appreciate it if you could take the time to answer.

Enable Filesystem Cache: Why is this advantageous?

Increase FileSystem Cache: Why is this advantageous?

I recommend you add to your list FdcSoft's Task Manager.

What did you not like about SPB mobile shell? It's the slickest, smoothest, sweetest app that I've seen for WM. I just don't like the price. Too bad someone hasn't figured out where it keeps track of the number of days for the trial period. :(

Enabling and then increasing the FileSystem Cache is used to increase the overall performance of your device.

It's not that I dislike SPB Mobile Shell. It's a great program. The price is a concern but if you need to have multiple Today screens this is a great way to go. For those of us that don't need to have 10 different screens to flip through using the basic Today screens available with the stock ROM should be enough and the Omnia provides 3 (Samsung Today, Samsung Today 2, and the basic widget page).

• 3 months later...
Guest bleezardo
The biggest reason is software incompatibility. Because of the new start menu system, quickmenu doesn't work properly. Also, with the new start button at the bottom, quickmenu still runs from the top. Pocket e-Sword (bible program) doesn't have a close option when the close button is at the bottom. Plus, the new finger-friendly sizing screws up the program buttons so that you can't access all of them in portrait (they just barely fit in landscape). There's also inconsistency in the setting screens. Some have soft-edged tabs at the bottom, some have top arrows, and some have 6.1 style block tabs.

If more programs come out with 6.5 versions, maybe I'll switch. Right now, though, I endure 6.5. I use 6.1. Plus, there are very few things that I've seen 6.5 have advantage with. There's no real attraction to the update, for me.

JJ

I'm with you about sticking w/ 6.1. Have tried a few 6.5 customs and they were ok, but I really can't stand 6.5. It just annoys me. Don't like the menus or anything. but that's just me. Like i tell my wife, 'i know. I'm the freak.."

More importantly, I downloaded the df14 update and now there is no option for pictures to be shown on my emails. Only the option to "tap to scroll right". Any suggestions from anyone? thanks!

I'm with you about sticking w/ 6.1. Have tried a few 6.5 customs and they were ok, but I really can't stand 6.5. It just annoys me. Don't like the menus or anything. but that's just me. Like i tell my wife, 'i know. I'm the freak.."

More importantly, I downloaded the df14 update and now there is no option for pictures to be shown on my emails. Only the option to "tap to scroll right". Any suggestions from anyone? thanks!

I haven't run across that. My email shows both the "tap to scroll right" and "tap to show pictures". The only thing I can think of is you may have to reflash the DF14. After flashing do a hard reset to remove any previous junk that may still be hanging around.

Guest bleezardo
I haven't run across that. My email shows both the "tap to scroll right" and "tap to show pictures". The only thing I can think of is you may have to reflash the DF14. After flashing do a hard reset to remove any previous junk that may still be hanging around.

Hey, good news! suddenly the download pictures thingy showed up! woohoo! thank you for your suggestion. was planning on following it. now i don't have to. I can just go back to lurking. :P

Edited by bleezardo

Guest Stealth Pope

Hi,

I don't know if it is just my phone or if others have experienced this. I have tried to install the bulk of the programs to MY STORAGE, they seem to install ok and run one time, But after I close them, the shortcut change to a "standard" blank icon, and the application will not run after that. Has anyone else seen this?

Hi,

I don't know if it is just my phone or if others have experienced this. I have tried to install the bulk of the programs to MY STORAGE, they seem to install ok and run one time, But after I close them, the shortcut change to a "standard" blank icon, and the application will not run after that. Has anyone else seen this?

I have only experienced your problem when using a custom WM 6.5 or higher ROM. I am running the stock Verizon Omnia ROM and have almost all programs installed to "My Storage". Everything is running perfectly with all icons showing correctly.