Considering a i5700 Spica for my wife

Guest ClausG76

Guest ClausG76

My wife want's a cheap touchscreen device.

I was thinking about purchasing a HTC tatoo, but then i discovered the Samsung i 5700 Spica.

800 mhz processor, oled and the pricetag looks good. But i have somethings i need to know.

Does it have native european language keyboard support and if not, can i install and use htcime (from sense)

Is it a clean android (vanilla) os, or can i make that way.

I know it can be rooted

Thanks

Edited by ClausG76

Guest natalie1981_cutie

I'm a bit new to android, so if you mean by native vanilla OS, if it doesn't have any skins then yes, it's native android. I have some screenshots here: http://www.cellphone-reviews.co.uk/2010/02...pica-i5700.html As far as I can remember, I don't think there was any native european language for the keyboard. It's actually a great, cheap phone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest finalmoksha
And does anybody know if it would be possible to add apps to sd, once it's rooted

I would prefer the spica over the tattoo anytime simply because the tattoo has a resistive touchscreen while the spica has a capacitive one. Apart from this a 2.1 upgrade has been promised by Samsung and is already being rolled out in Germany. There is custom ROM development happening for the spica. I have been using the unofficial 2.1 ROM released by Leshak and it has been working wonderfully. I also like having a standard 3.5mm audio jack which is better than the USB ones provided by HTC.

On the downside, the USB on the phone for charging and PC connectivity is not standard and you would require the proprietary cable tha comes with the phone. The developer community for HTC is much more active than the one for Samsung.

Hope this helps.

Guest ClausG76

Thanks for replying.

I have already bought her one, and she seems positive.

I installed JC5 2.1 beta with root. And i also installed htc keyboard to get native t9 language support. I replace pantheon (samsung launcher) with launcher 2.

I think it's a good buy.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CedricAnne97
Thanks for replying.

I have already bought her one, and she seems positive.

I installed JC5 2.1 beta with root. And i also installed htc keyboard to get native t9 language support. I replace pantheon (samsung launcher) with launcher 2.

I think it's a good buy.

If i may ask, how did you replace the pantheon launcher with launcher 2? ;)

I want to buy one, but because samsung made that weirdlooking launcher i decided too wait.

Thanks! ;)