How I Flashed my Omnia VZW i920

Guest kdkinc

This is all information I"have taken" from other posters that enabled me to flash my VZW i920.

I spent a lot of time reading but das771 was the one that finally got me over the hurdle .

My hope is to help and to save you time so that you can enjoy our chefs newest treats <_< :mellow:

SAFE FLASHING

Reading you'll understand that if you want to be 100% safe, you should flash ONLY "pda" ". In case of any error during the flashing, even if you get a non responsive phone stuck on the PC-Phone connection screen, you'll be able to flash the ROM again.

Software required for flashing VZW i920 Omnia

Windows XP with SP3

If you want to use Window Vista or win 7 read down a few paragraphs

Samsung_CDMA_modem_4_1_.34.zip

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=43383

OCTANS Downloader

OCTANS_Downloader_v2.14.exe ( 920K ) ( use latest version )

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=48091

Attached File(s)

WinXP_x32.zip ( 65.14K ) http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=40658

WinXP_x64.zip ( 59.43K ) http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=40659

Win 7/64 drivers i8000_x64.rar unzip with 7zip place in file on PC so you can find it SEE ALSO POST 42

Flashing Procedure

The following steps are as suggested by Sorg, there are other procedures which may differ a little (such as not turning the phone off) that still works but this one I've been using and tested myself and always fine:

0) Make sure to install (or to have installed already) the Samsung_CDMA_modem_4_1_.34.zip driver.

1) Make sure your phone is not connected to your PC; if it is, disconnect it.

2) Make sure to Turn off your phone.

3) Start OCTANS and fill required fields/checkboxes Select the PDA buttons and open the .nb0 file.

4) Press "Detect" button.

das7771

******* READ THIS *******

From das7771 win 7 info

(1 - 13 works but it can be a pain )

1. Start windows with device driver signing disabled (F8 at start up).

2. Then once your win7 64 OR 32 bit system is up, open device manager.

3. Turn off the phone and connect it.

4. Once you see the Samsung Mit show up, right click on it and click update driver software. BE QUICK HERE !!!

NOTE: You should have the proper driver on your PC before this step.

Attached driver File(s)

WinXP_x32.zip ( 65.14K )

WinXP_x64.zip ( 59.43K )

5. Browse my computer for driver software

6. Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

7. Click next (if the phone has disconnected ie battery meter is showing)

8. Click have disk

9. Navigate to the proper driver for win7 64-bit.

10. BEFORE you click on next after selecting the .inf file, unplug and replug the phone back in.

11. Then click next

12. You will see it start to load, and you may need to reboot the computer

13. If it does ask you to reboot remember to DISABLE device driver on boot up (F8 again).

Before you do step three already have device manager open because the Mobile Devices list which is where you need to go for step four will only show for about 3 seconds after plugging your phone (turned off) in. Once the battery icon begins to show on you’ve waited too long. Once the mobile device list pops up. Click on the arrow next to it and select update drivers. By this time your phone will have disconnected but its ok because you will have already accessed the next menu that you need. Resume to following the instructions to step 10. Make sure that your phone is still off and plug your phone back in and then do step 11(about a second after plugging your phone back in. I would only wait about one sec after plugging the phone in before clicking next as indicated in step 11. The way you can tell if it was successful is to go back to device manager plug your phone back in and click on properties under the samsung mits drivers in Mobile devices and check the driver date. It should be an earlier version now. I also followed the i8000 guide and it never worked unitl AMDZero showed me these steps with a little more detail so credits go to him if it works for you.

From amdzero:

QUOTE(das7771 @ Feb 8 2010, 05:03) *

I have been trying to flash my o2 the past couple of days but I have been having trouble with my phone staying connected to my comp once I turn my phone off. I am using Windows 7 x64 and have followed the steps in the guide closely. But every time I turn my phone off and plug in the usb cable my phone will show up in the mobile device list with Samsung Mit showing in the list. As soon as the charging icon appears on my phone and the phone begins to charge I lose connection and the mobile device listing disappears. I can plug/unplug my phone and the drivers will show under the mobile device menu but disappear as soon as the phone begins to charge. I can not find a way to hold a connection so that I can change the drivers and connect to Octans. I was looking for a way to disable charging through the USB cable but I can not find a setting so I am assuming I can not do it. I have also hard reset my phone and I get the same results. Has any one else experienced this.

as previously stated...

1. start windows with device driver signing disabled (F8 at start up).

2. Then once your win7 64-bit system is up, open devicemanager.

3. turn off the phone and connect it.

4. once you see the Samsung Mit show up, right click on it and click update driver software.

5. browse my computer for driver software

6. let me pick from a list of device drivers on my comptuer.

7. click next (if the phone has disconnected ie battery meter is showing)

8. click have disk

9. navigate to the proper driver for win7 64-bit.

10. BEFORE you click on next after selecting the .inf file, unplug and replug the phone back in.

11. Then click next

12. You will see it start to load, and you may need to reboot the computer.

13. If it does ask you to reboot remember to DISABLE device driver on boot up (F8 again).

you should be back in business after this.

Windows 7 (especially 64-bit) only lets you use signed drivers. Even after you do all of this you may need to do it again if you ever flash your phone again.

MAKE SURE you have octans loaded (not mini either) and select the flash file using PDA button.

tick the Skip over waiting for booting completely checkbox

tick the Start downloading immediately checkbox

the click detect

THATS when you finally plug your powered off phone to the usb.

ALSO...plug into usb port NOT A HUB its been recommended to use your rear ports but I always use my front port.

:( :D

pic's are always good

post-499047-1276205791_thumb.jpg post-499047-1276205800_thumb.jpg

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=47867

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=47868

post-499047-1276205296_thumb.jpg post-499047-1276205305_thumb.jpg

Edited by kdkinc

Guest chriswells13

Thanks a lot for taking the time to put this in writing. I still need to decide which version I'm going to flash, but this will make it much easier for myself and other i920 owners to take the plunge.

Guest jezze boi

the part that confuses me is choosing which .inf file...

with the package, i came upon to .inf files

1. WceRndis.inf

2. wceubsh.inf

which is the correct one, or the proper one to use for flashing?

Guest kdkinc

1. WceRndis.inf

2. wceubsh.inf

sounds like your trying to "cook" that's way beyond me.

<_< :mellow:

Guest das7771

1. WceRndis.inf

2. wceubsh.inf

Check the date for each .inf file. I beleive it is the one with the older date. If you just hold your mouse over each file and keep it still the date should pop up. If not then just check under properties.

Guest kdkinc
I'm not seeing the attachments... -could just be me tho <_<

not you it was my screw up sorry try now :mellow: :(

:D :D

Edited by kdkinc

Guest jezze boi
sounds like your trying to "cook" that's way beyond me.

oh... well I know nothing of that...

what's the name of the .inf file you used to update the MIT drivers?

Guest kdkinc
oh... well I know nothing of that...

what's the name of the .inf file you used to update the MIT drivers?

Ok

I think know what you want are the drivers I used .

I have Win 7 on my PC I used Win 7 32 bit drivers .

Guest jezze boi
Ok

I think know what you want are the drivers I used .

I have Win 7 on my PC I used Win 7 32 bit drivers .

excellent (:

i'm using the same OS

when i extract the folder, it gives me 5 files (2 security logs, 2 setup informations files, and a system file)

i don't know which file to use to update the drivers :/

sorry for this noob question

Guest kdkinc
excellent (:

i'm using the same OS

when i extract the folder, it gives me 5 files (2 security logs, 2 setup informations files, and a system file)

i don't know which file to use to update the drivers :/

sorry for this noob question

Select the PDA buttons and open the .nb0 file.

Sorry left out that little detail :(

Guest jezze boi
Select the PDA buttons and open the .nb0 file.

Sorry left out that little detail :(

lol it's all good

so you didn't have to go to the device manager to update the samsung MIT drivers?

Guest kdkinc
lol it's all good

so you didn't have to go to the device manager to update the samsung MIT drivers?

Only on my first flash.

ALSO Octans has to run in XP mode. Right click octans icon and ,properties Compatibility Check, run this program in Compatibility mode XP pack 3.

Edited by kdkinc

Guest jezze boi
Only on my first flash.

ALSO Octans has to run in XP mode. Right click octans icon and ,properties Compatibility Check, run this program in Compatibility mode XP pack 3.

ok thanks xD

when you updating the drivers, you didn't choose a specific .inf file? you let it do the update automatically?

Guest kdkinc
ok thanks xD

when you updating the drivers, you didn't choose a specific .inf file? you let it do the update automatically?

There was a lot going while I was trying to update my rom. I had bits and pieces of info from several sources. My attempt here was to try to pull this stuff together. Obviously I've forgotten a few steps but I do remember that when I did the XP mode thing all when well.

I then entered "Flash Haven".

We don't have a lot to chose from but the two I've used were nice.

Guest jezze boi
There was a lot going while I was trying to update my rom. I had bits and pieces of info from several sources. My attempt here was to try to pull this stuff together. Obviously I've forgotten a few steps but I do remember that when I did the XP mode thing all when well.

I then entered "Flash Haven".

We don't have a lot to chose from but the two I've used were nice.

:mellow: :(

thank you for all your help <_<

i would be taking the big leap to flash tonight, i'm tired of all the limited memory (i had delete opera along with any Vcast and Rhapsody cr@p)

my warranty is still intact, and hopefully, if i fail to flash, i can get a free replacement which will also relieve me of the slightly defected touch screen that the technician couldn't duplicate

Guest kdkinc
thank you for all your help <_<

i would be taking the big leap to flash tonight, i'm tired of all the limited memory (i had delete opera along with any Vcast and Rhapsody cr@p)

my warranty is still intact, and hopefully, if i fail to flash, i can get a free replacement which will also relieve me of the slightly defected touch screen that the technician couldn't duplicate

I.m sure you'll succeed :D :D ...

second flash is a breeze :mellow: :(

• 3 weeks later...
Guest paulchoy

Hey guys, first time flashing. First of all this thread is VERY helpful. Does a good job of getting all the i920 stuff in one spot with distinctions for 7x64 (which I'm using) and the other OS's. I've had a lot of success with the guide getting things done correctly (installed the MIT drivers so that they say 2003 in the properties, clicking those check boxes on octans which i wasn't doing before, running octans in xp sp3 mode as the admin). The problem is still the same, however, when i click "detect" and then plug in my powered off device, nothing happens. it says:

[setup] Windows XP

[setup] Download Ram Size :41777920 bytes,(39 MB)

which is what it says before i plug in and never goes any further. Any ideas?

Guest paulchoy
Hey guys, first time flashing. First of all this thread is VERY helpful. Does a good job of getting all the i920 stuff in one spot with distinctions for 7x64 (which I'm using) and the other OS's. I've had a lot of success with the guide getting things done correctly (installed the MIT drivers so that they say 2003 in the properties, clicking those check boxes on octans which i wasn't doing before, running octans in xp sp3 mode as the admin). The problem is still the same, however, when i click "detect" and then plug in my powered off device, nothing happens. it says:

[setup] Windows XP

[setup] Download Ram Size :41777920 bytes,(39 MB)

which is what it says before i plug in and never goes any further. Any ideas?

Might also be worth noting, I never could get my computer to boot with device signiture disabled. Could that be the problem? I tried this:

This works without having to press F8 on bootup to disable driver signing.

Go to the Start menu and type cmd.exe in the Search Bar. Right click on cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator.

If you have the UAC turned on, choose Yes to proceed. Otherwise, you should see the command windows opened already. In the shell window, copy paste the following and hit Enter.

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

After you reboot you will get a see a new stamp in the bottom right of the screen "Test Mode, Windows 7, Build 7600"

it works just like its supposed to, says the operation was completed successfully for both lines, but it never says "test mode, windows 7, build 7600" or anything different than what it normally does when i restart. Any ideas? When am i supposed to hold F8? there is an option to hold the esc key before the windows logo at start up, but that doesn't offer an F8 option and F8 never does anything. Thanks guys! :P

Guest kdkinc
Might also be worth noting, I never could get my computer to boot with device signiture disabled. Could that be the problem? I tried this:

it works just like its supposed to, says the operation was completed successfully for both lines, but it never says "test mode, windows 7, build 7600" or anything different than what it normally does when i restart. Any ideas? When am i supposed to hold F8? there is an option to hold the esc key before the windows logo at start up, but that doesn't offer an F8 option and F8 never does anything. Thanks guys! :P

hold f8 just at beginning of boot up b4 any logo show :(

:( B)

Guest paulchoy
hold f8 just at beginning of boot up b4 any logo show :P

:( :(

Doesn't work, but anyway, it DOES actually say that stuff about windows test mode version 7600 or whatever in the lower left, i didn't notice it at first, so that being said i shouldn't have to hold F8 at boot, right? What could be the problem with it octans not doing anything after the detect button is hit? Any ideas?

Guest kdkinc
Doesn't work, but anyway, it DOES actually say that stuff about windows test mode version 7600 or whatever in the lower left, i didn't notice it at first, so that being said i shouldn't have to hold F8 at boot, right? What could be the problem with it octans not doing anything after the detect button is hit? Any ideas?

You only have to f8 while adding the correct drivers for you PC.

After that just flash using Octans no more driver or f8 stuff...thank God it was a pain I thought

:P :(

Guest paulchoy
You only have to f8 while adding the correct drivers for you PC.

After that just flash using Octans no more driver or f8 stuff...thank God it was a pain I thought

ok so I got all the driver stuff working. What could be the problem with octans not doing anything after detect, does this take a long time? I hit detect and then plug the powered off phone into the USB port and nothing happens. It just sits there and charges. Am I missing a step?

Guest kdkinc
ok so I got all the driver stuff working. What could be the problem with octans not doing anything after detect, does this take a long time? I hit detect and then plug the powered off phone into the USB port and nothing happens. It just sits there and charges. Am I missing a step?

your using Octans 2.14 full version not the mini correct?

your opening the rar file and extracting into a folder/

your opening octans and clicking on PDA

search for the folder you saver rar file in check on nbo file...

check boxes skip over waiting....check box start download...

then click detect of course your phone is off but connected with usb cable.

Guest paulchoy
your using Octans 2.14 full version not the mini correct?

your opening the rar file and extracting into a folder/

your opening octans and clicking on PDA

search for the folder you saver rar file in check on nbo file...

check boxes skip over waiting....check box start download...

then click detect of course your phone is off but connected with usb cable.

Yup, octans 2.14 full, everything that came in a rar has been extracted. Is the nb0 file the only thing i need to plug into octans? aside from the check boxes, i mean i installed the samsung CDMA modem 4-1-.34 I got the driver running unsigned from 2003 (on the properties) I guess the only thing left is to try a different rom...? I'm trying AMD zero 23518 v2