How I Flashed my Omnia VZW i920

Guest LordSith
Windows 7 can flash the i920, infact I have 64-bit win7 installed for my main computer.

What you need to do is forget the drivers that came with the CD, those won't get you flashing with octans. Open up device manager and connect the phone while it is off. you should see a small icon show up with a yellow yield sign because it is unrecognized.

right click, update drivers software

don't select a pre-listed driver, go through the steps to find your own driver, something like browse my computer for driver software, until you get to Have Disk.

If you aren't fast enough (I'm usually not) then the computer will make the usb disconnect sound (thats okay just keep going)

Find the actual file found on page one of this thread for your windows version, and select the "file" that for it.

before you click next, make sure you plug the phone back in, so that it re-unrecognizes (is that a word?) it.

if it asks, click yes to install unsigned driver. You may or may not have to reboot the computer, as the driver may get "stuck" in memory.

In theory you only have to do this once, but when my laptop goes into stand-by mode, sometimes it drops the usb unsigned driver and tries to install the signed driver from microsoft. I think because I'm using win 7 64-bit, the driver signing is more stringent.

Let me know how it works out.

Still a no go. After pointing to the drivers I downloaded from page 1, Windows still tells me the best drivers are already installed, yet I still can't connect my phone. Oh well, I still have the XP machine I built for the flashing set up. I guess I'll just sync to that, and copy the files I want through the network to this computer. Thanks for all the help.

Guest amdzero
Still a no go. After pointing to the drivers I downloaded from page 1, Windows still tells me the best drivers are already installed, yet I still can't connect my phone. Oh well, I still have the XP machine I built for the flashing set up. I guess I'll just sync to that, and copy the files I want through the network to this computer. Thanks for all the help.

you have to "force" windows to accept the drivers, as they are unsigned. make sure you get to the point where you can select "Have Disk..."

Guest LordSith
you have to "force" windows to accept the drivers, as they are unsigned. make sure you get to the point where you can select "Have Disk..."

I followed your directions (again) and now my phone is connecting to this PC again. Weird, I didn't do anything different than the other 6 times I tried it. LOL

But at least now I can drag and drop pics and such over to my phone again. Thanks a mil AMD. :-)

Guest ginola

Can anyone assist. i have been trying to program sch-1920 omnia II to my network but i can't get around it.i.e load prl,write mnc,mcc e.t.c this is the step i followed

1. i disabled digital driver signing in Windows7 with the following command

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

2. rebooted the pc and also implemented DISABLE device driver on

boot up

3. went to device manager, connect the phone and saw mobile device-samsung MITs USB sync

4. right-clicked went to property, update driver

5. selected the update file(WceRndis)

6. removed the cable and plugged it back and clicked next and the update was successful

7. the date of the updated device is 5/31/2007- 6.1.6965.0

but still i cannot find the com port in device manager.

is there anything am not doing right? or the driver i have is not good. could anyonoe update me please.

thanks in advance.

Guest amdzero
Can anyone assist. i have been trying to program sch-1920 omnia II to my network but i can't get around it.i.e load prl,write mnc,mcc e.t.c this is the step i followed

1. i disabled digital driver signing in Windows7 with the following command

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

2. rebooted the pc and also implemented DISABLE device driver on

boot up

3. went to device manager, connect the phone and saw mobile device-samsung MITs USB sync

4. right-clicked went to property, update driver

5. selected the update file(WceRndis)

6. removed the cable and plugged it back and clicked next and the update was successful

7. the date of the updated device is 5/31/2007- 6.1.6965.0

but still i cannot find the com port in device manager.

is there anything am not doing right? or the driver i have is not good. could anyonoe update me please.

thanks in advance.

you won't get a "com port" in device manager.

It will be listed under Mobile Devices see picture:

post-463858-1281239185_thumb.png

Guest ginola
you won't get a "com port" in device manager.

It will be listed under Mobile Devices see picture:

post-463858-1281239185_thumb.png

in my own, it comes up and go out in 5 sec. i have tried all the drivers listed but still the same output. can i use cdmaworkshop 3.5 for the programming?

Guest amdzero
in my own, it comes up and go out in 5 sec. i have tried all the drivers listed but still the same output. can i use cdmaworkshop 3.5 for the programming?

I'm not sure what you are trying to do here. I don't know what cdmaworkshop is, but why are you trying to "program" something? I mean what is "load prl,write mnc,mcc e.t.c "

Are you trying to flash a custom rom, or trying to program an app for your phone?

Guest ginola
I'm not sure what you are trying to do here. I don't know what cdmaworkshop is, but why are you trying to "program" something? I mean what is "load prl,write mnc,mcc e.t.c "

Are you trying to flash a custom rom, or trying to program an app for your phone?

can you give me the program to instal the active sync. mine goes out after 3 sec.

thanks in advance

Guest amdzero
can you give me the program to instal the active sync. mine goes out after 3 sec.

thanks in advance

what do you mean instal the active sync? What version of windows are you using? I thought it was windows 7?

Windows 7 doesn't use activesync, it uses Windows Mobile Device Center.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest .hack_infection

Hey guys,

I'm about to get my own computer for school, and I would love to flash my i920, however, there is a problem. My computer will have neither xp or win7, it'll have vista. I've read every post and this thread and there is almost nothing on vista. And from what I can figure out, Octans is much more complex than flashing my old i910. Now that was easy. If anyone could tell me more about flashing with vista, that would be fantastic.

Guest Omega Ra
Hey guys,

I'm about to get my own computer for school, and I would love to flash my i920, however, there is a problem. My computer will have neither xp or win7, it'll have vista. I've read every post and this thread and there is almost nothing on vista. And from what I can figure out, Octans is much more complex than flashing my old i910. Now that was easy. If anyone could tell me more about flashing with vista, that would be fantastic.

Octans looks almost exactly the same as the i910 flashing software...so no biggie there. But as for vista...I would assume you follow the same directions as Win7 since the two share the same kernel.

Guest .hack_infection
Octans looks almost exactly the same as the i910 flashing software...so no biggie there. But as for vista...I would assume you follow the same directions as Win7 since the two share the same kernel.

okay, that solves one issue. Can anyone else confirm that the process is the same for vista?

Guest amdzero
okay, that solves one issue. Can anyone else confirm that the process is the same for vista?

the only problem you may have it getting the drivers to load. The flashing is the "easy" part. Its getting the drivers to recognize the i920 that takes time. Just play with it and it will work. Others have flashed with vista already.

Save for the disabling driver signing part yes.

Not meaning any offense to the folks who put up guides in this thread as it was how I figured it out, but it's missing a step by step guide for vista specifically and it's a bit confusing to pick out the details among all the other info...so this is how I flashed my phone after a clean install of windows on my computer so it should be the same for any first time flash.

**Flashing Guide For Vista 32 bit**

-Upgrade to DC23 firmware from samsung for best compatibility with current roms

-Turn off phone

-Open Device Manager

-Plug in phone, the device manager screen will flash as it updates

-Expand the mobile devices category and right click Samsung MIT entry, will disappear again after a few seconds if you miss just unplug and plug phone back in

-Select Update Driver Software

-Select Browse my computer...

-Select Let me pick from a list...

-Click Next

-Click Have Disc

-Locate and select downloaded WceRndis.inf file

-Press Ok

-Disconnect phone, click next and quickly reconnect phone

-Once finished installing disconnect device

-Right click the Octans .exe and open properties, switch to compatibility tab and check run in compatibility mode(with windows xp) and run as administrators

-Open Octans, check "Skip over wait for boot completely" "start download immediately" boxes, these options save time but are not necessary

-Click PDA and select .nbo file

-Click detect and plug phone in

*Troubleshooting

-If battery icon appears on phone screen try connecting the phone again until the download dialogue appears in octans and screen on phone.

-If after several attempts it will still not work try switching to another USB port, removing and replacing the battery, or restarting the PC.

Edited by bmt10

Guest .hack_infection
Save for the disabling driver signing part yes.

Not meaning any offense to the folks who put up guides in this thread as it was how I figured it out, but it's missing a step by step guide for vista specifically and it's a bit confusing to pick out the details among all the other info...so this is how I flashed my phone after a clean install of windows on my computer so it should be the same for any first time flash.

**Flashing Guide For Vista 32 bit**

-Upgrade to DC23 firmware from samsung for best compatibility with current roms

-Turn off phone

-Open Device Manager

-Plug in phone, the device manager screen will flash as it updates

-Expand the mobile devices category and right click Samsung MIT entry, will disappear again after a few seconds if you miss just unplug and plug phone back in

-Select Update Driver Software

-Select Browse my computer...

-Select Let me pick from a list...

-Click Next

-Click Have Disc

-Locate and select downloaded WceRndis.inf file

-Press Ok

-Disconnect phone, click next and quickly reconnect phone

-Once finished installing disconnect device

-Right click the Octans .exe and open properties, switch to compatibility tab and check run in compatibility mode(with windows xp) and run as administrators

-Open Octans, check "Skip over wait for boot completely" "start download immediately" boxes, these options save time but are not necessary

-Click PDA and select .nbo file

-Click detect and plug phone in

*Troubleshooting

-If battery icon appears on phone screen try connecting the phone again until the download dialogue appears in octans and screen on phone.

-If after several attempts it will still not work try switching to another USB port, removing and replacing the battery, or restarting the PC.

thanks, that helps alot. But, one last issue. My computer will have vista x64 bit. Will this guide be compatible with x64?

Guest amdzero
thanks, that helps alot. But, one last issue. My computer will have vista x64 bit. Will this guide be compatible with x64?

follow the guide, just use the x64 bit driver.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Corki2

My first flash was to Yardi4life 23568 using XP. I ran the Samsung DC23 update before I flashed, no issues. I love the ROM, but wanted to try some others. Again, I had no issues flashing to a couple others (I don't recall which ones). Then, all the sudden as I was flashing again, it started hanging up partway through the flash. Eventually, I was finally able to flash it back to Yardi4life 23568 after trying a few times. The next time I attempted to flash (once I got up my nerve again after the scary flash experience), Octans didn't detect my phone. :huh: . I tried every trick in this thread and had no success at all. So I decided to try it with my Vista laptop. Once again, Octans wasn't detecting my phone. I went through all the suggestions in this thread and could never get that WceRndis.inf driver to load. Finally, I decided to try not running Octans in XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode and Octans detected my phone immediately and I was able to flash to Ninja4hire_NonSense_21914_v2.5.3m perfectly with Vista Home Premium. I thought I'd share my experience in case it might help someone else. Also, the NonSence ROM I flashed to is excellent in case anyone is looking for a Sense ROM. Ninja nailed it. It's running smooth as silk. ;) .

My first flash was to Yardi4life 23568 using XP. I ran the Samsung DC23 update before I flashed, no issues. I love the ROM, but wanted to try some others. Again, I had no issues flashing to a couple others (I don't recall which ones). Then, all the sudden as I was flashing again, it started hanging up partway through the flash. Eventually, I was finally able to flash it back to Yardi4life 23568 after trying a few times. The next time I attempted to flash (once I got up my nerve again after the scary flash experience), Octans didn't detect my phone. :huh: . I tried every trick in this thread and had no success at all. So I decided to try it with my Vista laptop. Once again, Octans wasn't detecting my phone. I went through all the suggestions in this thread and could never get that WceRndis.inf driver to load. Finally, I decided to try not running Octans in XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode and Octans detected my phone immediately and I was able to flash to Ninja4hire_NonSense_21914_v2.5.3m perfectly with Vista Home Premium. I thought I'd share my experience in case it might help someone else. Also, the NonSence ROM I flashed to is excellent in case anyone is looking for a Sense ROM. Ninja nailed it. It's running smooth as silk. ;) .

That's odd, when I tried to flash after forgetting to set the compatibility mode it would give me an error about the service being stopped and wouldn't even search for the phone...glad it worked for you though.

Maybe it has something to do with running it in xp service pack 3 versus 2, you must have a more updated version of vista than mine because I'm pretty sure my only option was to run it in 2(I'm not 100% sure as I'm logged into my linux boot at the moment).

Edited by bmt10

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest blkvoid

very new to flashing and i have read over the instructions a few times but cant seem to find a listing for the actual location of the .nb0 file. where do i get the .nb0 file?

Guest amdzero
very new to flashing and i have read over the instructions a few times but cant seem to find a listing for the actual location of the .nb0 file. where do i get the .nb0 file?

find a i920 rom post (ninja/mine/yardi/steel) and download the link. use 7ZIP to extract the .nb0 file. Then use my i920 flasher, or octans (mine is just a slimmed down version of octans, all I did was cut out the garbage and relocate the controls) to flash your file.

Please note that you MUST install the driver before you can connect/flash your phone. there is a lot of information in this thread, please read through and post if you have troubles.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been flashing with XP, as I could never find the Samsung Mits in Device Manager on my Windows 7. My 7 64 bit PC has both a Device Manager and a Devices and Printers Icon in Control Panel.

I successfully used Devices and Printers (as the 1st post picture shows) and could get to the drivers, but had trouble getting it installed even after several attempts because I failed to remove and reconnect the phone before hitting "next" after selecting the driver. Anyway, when I unplugged and replugged the phone before hitting next, then the "installing driver" came up for a few seconds before saying it was done. After that, Octans worked fine.

By the way, the correct name for the Windows 7 64 bit driver file is wceusbshx64.inf. It is the one that causes the "unsigned" warning, but should be installed anyway.

Thanks to all for their input.

• 8 months later...

I'm new to flashing, but when I try to load the driver it says the best driver is already installed. I used the 64-bit 7 driver, wceusbshx64.inf. The date of the driver loaded 5/31/2007. It's supposed to be 2003? I have the modem driver installed, but then OCTANS just sits there when I hook up the phone.

I'm following these steps, including starting up with device driver signing disabled and disconnecting/reconnecting the phone before installing the driver.

I only selected the nbo file in OCTANS. Maybe I require more components?

Advice?

My link