• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

StreetMap for SPV

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Streetmap.co.uk do actually provide a mapping *application* for the SPV

called Pocket Streetmap. This program will download maps from the internet, using GPRS, and will store these locally on the device so that repeated visits and web connections are not necessary, eg try looking at a map when traveliing underground by tube :-)

The program can happily use any type of net connection, eg cradle to PC etc, so that larger areas of map data, eg city, can be downloaded where the cost of connection is not an issue. Maps can be stored both on the device memory and the data card.

Optionally, the program can use GPS receivers to track current position and provide other facilities related to position.

The program is currently is restricted beta (preparing for certification). Samples of the European map data ( London Soho ) can be seen by pointing the SPV internet web browser athttp://www.streetmap.co.uk/smarthpone/sample.gif

Cool!

P

Posted

Is it just me or does that URL not work?

Posted

That rules! Would definitely be useful! :D

Posted

Priced at only £ 169 .....

only......hhmpffffhttp://www.streetmap.co.uk/smartphone/

That's the price for the phone - but still, yikes!!

Posted

That looks like a good idea. I looked at the map on my SPV, and let's hope there's a zoom function :D.

Dave.

Posted

Just spoke to streetmap. Their software should be available in a few weeks for around £30 ish (for the full monty version) and a zoom will be available. They also talked about a GPS navigation addon for the phone and that various people are currently in the development stages for GPS hardware. exciting

Posted

You also need to remember to untick the "Fit to Screen" option otherwise it's a bit pants!

I presume this doesn't override the HTML height and width attributes, so it could be set to not shrink it if this was an image in a web age, rather than an actual gif?

Barry

Posted

Funny you should mention the GPS add-on as that is one of the thing I have in the wish list - I thought a SD card that gave a USB plug as you can get USB GPS recievers for pennies now a days.

Posted

Funny you should mention the GPS add-on as that is one of the thing I have in the wish list - I thought a SD card that gave a USB plug as you can get USB GPS recievers for pennies now a days.

Mmmm ... and a little software connection to your SMS editor (bi-directional) so that you can paste your position - wonderful when e.g. notifying emergency services or trying to find another user, or display the position that someone has messaged to you ... how's that?

I was looking for my daughter on the Leeds festival site, we had a GPS each and it worked OK on voice, but could be so much easier.

And there are SMS receivers with SD card connectors around. Will somebody write the software ... please ...

Wlodek

Posted

I dread to think of the battery-drain a GPS addon would cause to the already "average" battery life on the SPV.

My brother's Navman attached to his IPaq wastes the battery away. But GPS & Mobiles really should be a happy marriage.

Will

Posted

Free alternative? www.mapquest.com/pda/maps.adp

Found it on the Orange list of small sites thingy

Posted

Only USA though :-(

Posted

It works for France.. I can see my street !

Too bad http://www.viamichelin.com does not provide a PDA/SPV version of their site because you can find driving directions (street level).

If you try it with your SPV, you can't click on "OK" (it's a image button), so you can't use it.

They have an Imode version though.

Posted

It works for France.. I can see my street !

Too bad http://www.viamichelin.com does not provide a PDA/SPV version of their site because you can find driving directions (street level).

If you try it with your SPV, you can't click on "OK" (it's a image button), so you can't use it.

They have an Imode version though.

Posted

Works for me, entered my postcode and 'uk' in the country box.

Posted

MapQuest maps work for UK addresses, it's just the directions that aren't available for anywhere outside the US and Canada.

Just enter "uk" in the country box.

Posted

Mapquest does work - but you must leave a space in post code - search is less intuitive than some...

Better maps than mapquest - though higher bandwidth...

They also have a wap site...

http://www.multimap.com/map/places.cgi?client=light

Shame about the ads...

Posted

Had a look at mapquest and multimap:

Mapquest: :(

www.mapquest.com/pda/maps.adp

Form well dimensioned for SPV screen

Seems fairly slow to load (considering size etc)

Maps almost useless - hard to zoom to right place, and not enough detail on screen at once...

Multimap: :D

http://www.multimap.com/map/places.cgi?client=light

Form awkward to use - better dimensioned for conventional pda rather than smartphone.

Seems much quicker to load (useable over GSM connection) esp considering the maps are 6 times the size:

But the clincher: The map is full OS - at a useable size (500*310) - and shows enough detail to navigate by.

street maps are clearly ledgible with names - and you can zoom on a particular location using crosshairs reasonably quickly...

I managed to enter my home post code - get a street map of my locality - zoom out to 1:50,000, then zoom back in on where I work ~ 3 miles away within 3 minutes... (and thats GSM not GPRS)

Paul - what do you think to a separate section for useful site reviews - maybe using separate topics for different types of site...

Posted

yeah it works in bournemouth too found my house

Posted

yeah   it works in bournemouth too    found my house

Congrats.. u woke up a thread that was sleeping for almost exactly 11 months :lol: ..

BTW.. Did it take that long to find ur house? :wink:

Posted

i would love a find service like 3 network have.

kingdom

Posted

so, has anyone, ever used this streetmap service?

Posted

Only USA though :-(

:) Works in the UK if you type "uk" in the country box.