Desire vs N1 w/Desire ROM ???

Guest Quist09

Guest Quist09

Ok, I'm in the qualms of a decision and am wondering if anyone (probably in the UK) has a comment on a comparison of the Desire vs the Nexus One with Paul's alpha Desire ROM?

I spend about 3 months of the year in the US and the rest in Europe, so there's a reason the N1 might be of interest. I imagine there might be several others out there who spend a good bit of time in Asia/Europe as well as the US who might fall into the same profile, so the question isn't really all that far fetched.

I love this latest iteration of Sense and would never choose the N1 if Paul et al haven't been making such great progress with the Desire ROM. Also, imho the Desire is a much more handsome device and I like the trackpad over the N1's roller. However, most sources have noted that they thought the picture quality from N1's camera (without settings changes) was slightly better than the Desire, although the Desire's options are better (and thanks again to Paul have been ported).

In short, I think the Desire looks great, will have seemless Sense out of the box with no tinkering, but you'll have to at least adjust saturation on the cam for decent pics and no 3G in the US. I think the N1 is less attractive (read with understatement), requires tinkering to get a buggy version on Sense on it, but might have a slightly better camera and has the 3G options I need for Europe/US. I just don't know if I should get the N1 now and fix it up in time for my next US trip, or if I should go with the Desire and possibly also get an N1 when I get to the US later in the year (I have used Edge there before and was pleasantly surprised, but with data usage growing, that may not be the case this year). Although one concern with the N1 is the issue many experienced in the US with it not flipping between Edge/3G smoothly.

Is there anyone in the UK that has a Desire and an N1 with Paul's alpha Desire ROM on it and could compare the two?

Guest Quist09

Just started thinking about it, and with tax and all there's almost a 50% mark-up on the N1 purchased here in Sweden through the likes of Expansys. That means that I could conceivably get the Desire here (Sweden) and the N1 there (US), but then sell the N1 in Sweden and at the very least recoup my losses. Best of both worlds, so to say.

Still, it would be interesting to hear how folks would compare the two.