Wifi Sync Query

Guest Superangel

Guest Superangel

Hi everybody

I have my (lovely!) HTC Desire configured to use wifi only, since I don't have a data plan at the moment. My question is: will auto-sync try to connect using 3G?

For example, I'm happy to have my email, friend stream and such auto-sync every hour at home over wifi, but I don't it want to connect via 3G or EDGE when I go out.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I've searched and not found anything, and I'm scared of being landed with a huge bill if I get things wrong ;)

Thanks in advance!

Guest StrongOneX
Hi everybody

I have my (lovely!) HTC Desire configured to use wifi only, since I don't have a data plan at the moment. My question is: will auto-sync try to connect using 3G?

For example, I'm happy to have my email, friend stream and such auto-sync every hour at home over wifi, but I don't it want to connect via 3G or EDGE when I go out.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I've searched and not found anything, and I'm scared of being landed with a huge bill if I get things wrong ;)

Thanks in advance!

Disable roaming

Sent with my htc desire

Guest irishandrew
Hi everybody

Thanks in advance!

In the initial phone setup you are asked whether you want to connect to the internet via WiFi/3G or WiFi only - select the wifi only option. Not sure if tehre is an equivelent menu option if you've already set it up the other way, but imagine doing the following should prevent it from connecting to mobile data:

On home screen press hardware "Menu" button, then settings.

Choose "Wireless & networks"

Make sure the checkbox by "Mobile network" is NOT checked

Choose the menu option below - "Mobile networks"

Ensure that the checkbox besire "Enable always-on mobile data" is NOT checked.

I think that should do it. WiFi connection should still pull down the data, but it shouldn't try to connect to any 3G networks.

You'll be able to tell quickly - once it's up/downloading data on a mobile network there is a symbol on the notification bar beside the signal strength representing which connection you are on (2G, 3G, H for HSDPA etc.) with an up and down arrow beneath it that flash when data is active. None of these are here when not connected to a data network (much like when you're on WiFi, these mobile data symbols don't appear).

Cheers,

Andrew.

Guest Superangel

Thank you so much for your quick and detailed reply, Andrew!

You're right, I chose the the 'Wifi only' option during the initial setup, and touchwood that works okay.

However, having double-checked the settings, 'Enable always-on mobile data' was still checked, so I've changed that now.

I'll try putting auto-sync back on and letting things update more regularly then report back again.

Thanks for your help!

Guest Superangel

Hi again

Just a quick update, irishandrew's tips work perfectly! Auto-sync is enabled and my accounts are set to check every hour or so, but nothing happens unless wifi is available, which is great.

As an aside, I found a great, simple app called '3G Watchdog' which tracks all mobile data the device uses (GPRS/EDGE/3G), and helps to monitor and cap your usage as required. It's perfect for those without an unlimited data plan.

Thanks again!

Guest irishandrew
Hi again

Just a quick update, irishandrew's tips work perfectly! Auto-sync is enabled and my accounts are set to check every hour or so, but nothing happens unless wifi is available, which is great.

As an aside, I found a great, simple app called '3G Watchdog' which tracks all mobile data the device uses (GPRS/EDGE/3G), and helps to monitor and cap your usage as required. It's perfect for those without an unlimited data plan.

Thanks again!

Hi Superangel,

Glad I could help. I also second the vote for 3G Watchdog - been using this a while (previously on my Hero, now Desire), and find it the best & least intrusive of the 3G monitors to keep track of your data.

Hope you enjoy the Desire - tis a lovely phone!

-Andrew.