Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is out

Guest David Horvath

Guest Ashbeard
I really do think the terminal is wholly optional for ubuntu. I can't think of a single "average joe" utility that doesn't have a GUI to go with it.

I think the reason why you see solutions to problems posted as terminal commands is because these are easier to replicate online. It's much easier for someone to type out a command, and then the other person copy and paste into their terminal that for someone to write "click here, then there, type this, click ok" etc and then for the other person to follow their commands click-by-click.

To get specific - installing programs can be done any multitude of ways. You can use two nifty terminal applications (apt-get and aptitude), you could use the GUI program synaptic or you could go App Store style with Ubuntu Software Centre. You can even download .debs and install-by-double-click in the same way that some windows users seem to prefer doing with exes (although you generally lose the nice updating through repos this way).

Which problem with the browser did you have to go to the terminal for? And were you using a stable release or a pre-release? I think it's fair enough that some problems (if not most) during pre-releases are fixed primarily with package updates and terminal commands. It's alpha or beta for a reason, and it's expected that testers will be somewhat capable when it comes to this.

How do I troubleshoot wireless issues without command line? Is there a nice little GUI tool that will give me that information? The supplied network manager is AWFUL. I tried WICD and it's little better. I have to resort to iwconfig and ifconfig to find out things like MAC addresses and signal strength. I really wish Linux could replace Windows or OSX but it can't. Not until things like my resetting wireless connection are fixed, the fact that my N adapter won't connect at anything but G speeds.

Guest schkinx
How do I troubleshoot wireless issues without command line? Is there a nice little GUI tool that will give me that information? The supplied network manager is AWFUL. I tried WICD and it's little better. I have to resort to iwconfig and ifconfig to find out things like MAC addresses and signal strength. I really wish Linux could replace Windows or OSX but it can't. Not until things like my resetting wireless connection are fixed, the fact that my N adapter won't connect at anything but G speeds.

Best place to look is the ubuntu forums , loads of information on all sorts of problems :huh:

Guest schkinx

I've been on Ubuntu since 6.10 . I started reading about it at work one day and decided to download an iso and give it a try . I was amazed how everything worked out of the box , graphics , sound , wifi .. the works . And best of all it was free lol

All versions have been great ever since , although the one issue i have with 10.04 is the minimise / maximise buttons now being on the left instead of the right of the window , but here's a little script i found , you type into the terminal and it will put the buttons back on the right side of the window .

Just open a terminal and copy and paste this , then hit enter .... gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string "menu:maximize,minimize,close"

hope that helps someone :huh:

Guest Ashbeard
Best place to look is the ubuntu forums , loads of information on all sorts of problems :huh:

Those forums are the ones that tell me to use iwconfig. Any information I have seen on making my wireless N dongle work means compiling drivers from source. Ugh. Compiling always involves installing bits of ubuntu then running make and install and crossing fingers.

Guest triplezoney
All versions have been great ever since , although the one issue i have with 10.04 is the minimise / maximise buttons now being on the left instead of the right of the window , but here's a little script i found , you type into the terminal and it will put the buttons back on the right side of the window .

You can also download a free tool called Ubuntu Tweak (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/) which provides a graphical interface for the above :huh:

Most handy!

Personally I prefer Ubuntu over Kubuntu, but personal preference.

I would ditch Windows for it if I could run all my Windows games etc with no issues, but I can't. So I use Ubuntu on the laptop which is used for docs/internet/DVD etc which is perfect!

Edited by triplezoney

Guest David Horvath

That time will come soon :huh: Wine is evolving fast, ReactOS and the hybrid kernel is coming, Valve is making Steam multi platform..

Guest Azurren
That time will come soon :huh: Wine is evolving fast, ReactOS and the hybrid kernel is coming, Valve is making Steam multi platform..

I hope so :P

Tbh I can't see it happening though.. But if it does windows 7 would be my last windows OS

Guest _melchett

does anyone here actually know how to use GRUB2. I just end up modding the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file manually (nano in the terminal) and ensuring i never update-grub

Guest Ashbeard
does anyone here actually know how to use GRUB2. I just end up modding the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file manually (nano in the terminal) and ensuring i never update-grub

Grub2 is a pain in the arse. You are supposed to make changes by using etc/default/grub and then running sudo update-grub. To add a new line is a complicated procedure which I have forgotten off the top of my head. I am sure there was some guide on the Ubuntu boards.

Guest David Horvath

What is the problem with it? I feel it quite comfy :P

Guest twrock
You don't have to use the terminal if you don't want to. If you learn how to use it though, you'll learn it greatly improves the speed of handling a pc.

Generally true, but not always. As long as "it just works" is true, things can probably all get done without the terminal. However, after spending almost all day Saturday working on getting Lucid to work on my Dell 700m, I can assure you that IF someone gets it working on a Dell 700m, they have used the terminal.

There are a lot of frustrated people out there at the moment trying to find solutions to quite a number of video chip problems. After finally getting Lucid to install in a "usable" form (which required the use of the terminal), I was disappointed to find out there was no way to play any video without the "black screen of death". So I reverted to Karmic, and I'll wait to hear it really is working for my machine before I give it another go.

As always, YMMV.

Edited by twrock

Guest Dr Who
You don't have to use the terminal if you don't want to. If you learn how to use it though, you'll learn it greatly improves the speed of handling a pc.

As for trying to use not properly supported hardware (wifi/graphics), please complain at the vendors, not at linux. In those cases the vendors don't supply the drivers, or only supply crappy ones, so the problem lies there.

As for flash: I'm sticking to 32-bit Ubuntu since those 64-bit drivers are just crap. Using a PAE kernel gives me full access to my 4GB of ram (will work up to 64GB of ram).

Ever since I migrated to linux some 5 years ago, I've only bought hardware of which I KNEW it would work. I'm very happily using 10.04 for a few months now on an HP 4310s laptop (all intel hardware), with a homebrew kernel to support the TRIM functionality of my SSD, and it works flawless. Migrated my AMD 760G based headless server a month ago, and am very happy with it.

I've left Windows behind me years ago, and never looked back. Apple is a no go, since I want control over my pc's. Windows only gives me BSOD's and bad registry keys. Linux is just speed and ease. Try it if you like, but don't bitchslap it, please, there's no need.

Hmmmm, I don't think anyone was 'bitchslapping' - there are legitimate issues with using Linux for MANY users and to not acknowledge these is ridiculous.

If you are saying I should only buy hardware that is Linux compatible then surely that is the identical stance taken by Apple. Agreed the vendors are at fault but for those laptop users it is not possible to control the hardware included.

I wouldn't say Linux is just speed and ease either but it does do some very cool things - over the weekend I was reinstalling a W7RC install which kept throwing BSOD's which I thought was due to a corrupt install, in fact it turned out a memory module was faulty but by running memmap at boot I am able to work round the knackered memory addresses without having to buy a new module, now that is VERY cool!

Guest _melchett

Many thanks - i'll check this out later. My biggest problem is that i'm triple-booting across 2 drives, add in some recovery partitions and the whole start up gets alot more complex. I'm sure in Grub1 (menu.lst or something like that) changing the os list, timeout before default os select and changing default os was much easier. Like I said above, it's easy enough in /boot/grub/grub.cfg but quite why it needs about 5 different files to create that file is beyond me.

BTW i do think 10.04 seems to be an improvement over 9.10

Guest Ashbeard
Well, to have everything just work, you *could* by a system pre-installed with Ubuntu.

Announced today the new Ubuntu Unity which will be even more cut down than netbook remix. Only available to OEMs though. Or as PPA.