First time android via legend.

Guest muchzill4

Guest muchzill4

Primo: hello, I'm new here. :huh:

Secundo: I hope, I've chosen the right subforum, since it's semi-Legend specific. Don't bite me.

And finally:

I've recently bought HTC Legend (sold nokia 5800 - crappiest piece of plastic ever). I'm new at android and I have some questions to you - the experienced users:

1. GoldCard. When phone is rooted, does the goldcard need to be in at all times? How does that work? Is it like bootdisk, that may be used only once, and then you can put your 'casual' MicroSD?

2. Legend rooting now. What advantages can this give me now? Are there some extra apps that won't work on stock Legend that require rooting? (since it doesn't allow writing to /system, the actual pros are limited?)

3. APP2SD (?). Is that possible with the current rooting state?

4. How is that possible, that my left hand (i'm lefty!) doesn't work well with pinch gesture [i've noticed it today only]? The right hand seems ok (thumb and index finger), but the left, whichever fingers I won't try does not. Did I deelectrified myself or wth? Did you ever encountered such problem?

Thanks for your time.

Guest Nimmo
1. GoldCard. When phone is rooted, does the goldcard need to be in at all times? How does that work? Is it like bootdisk, that may be used only once, and then you can put your 'casual' MicroSD?

I don't know the full details of how the thing works, but from what I gather, it is used to bypass some sort of security thing built into the code for flashing new roms and you edit some VERY low level data on the card to make it look like it should have ROMS coming from it.

In addition, from what I see, the goldcard may be used as normal once it has been used. However, in saying that, I used the 2GB one that came with the phone and keep my 8GB one for general use, but there's no underlying reason other than my 8gb one hadn't arrived by the time I was making the goldcard.

2. Legend rooting now. What advantages can this give me now? Are there some extra apps that won't work on stock Legend that require rooting? (since it doesn't allow writing to /system, the actual pros are limited?)

I am not 100% sure on this, as the two applications that I was wanting to run as root (openvpn and titanium backup) do not work, however, I have chosen to believe that it is my own fault, as I am not entirely sure on the whole thing.

3. APP2SD (?). Is that possible with the current rooting state?

Not sure yet, sorry

4. How is that possible, that my left hand (i'm lefty!) doesn't work well with pinch gesture [i've noticed it today only]? The right hand seems ok (thumb and index finger), but the left, whichever fingers I won't try does not. Did I deelectrified myself or wth? Did you ever encountered such problem?

I am a lefty as well and haven't noticed that myself. Just had a look at zooming with both hands and a variety of fingers and haven't noticed any issues. Best I can come up with is maybe your fingers aren't making good contact with the screen, possibly long fingernails or the like?

Like yourself, I am new to android and loving the legend so far.

Hope that what I have there helps at least a little, if not, then feel free to point and laugh!