Switching from Omnia (i900) to HD2

Guest raidenbr

Guest raidenbr

Hi!

I want to buy a new cel phone.

I own an omnia and I'm searching for it's best replacement.

I think the HD2 is the best option right now.

I would like to know your opinions, if it's worth to spend the money on it.

thanks.

Guest rameses

The HD2 is a great phone and definately the best WinMo phone at the moment, in my opinion. I've never used an Omnia so I can't give any comparison though. HTC Sense is an excellent 'skin' for WinMo and there are plenty of tweaks available (have a look here) to tailor it to your needs.

If you search around you can get a good deal on tarriff and a free HD2 (have a look at omio.com for example)

Guest Die Meester

Hi,

I’d like to give my 2 cents as I’ve made exactly the same transition. In my opinion you’d definitely won’t be disappointed. Performance, Eye Candy, Finger usage ... everything is just so much better. Just one disappointment though, no video out available (that I can find) :P .

Guest mukiblaster

I'm in agreement with the rest, it's a normal & the best change that you can do, I've done the same change, only for the capacitive screen, the phone it's a great compendium, and the best hardware in the market.

Hope we can serve you as help

Guest Maxctran

i moved from the omnia to hd2 and i can safely say its a better phne my only gripe is the fact you can't use a pointy stylus as things like closing programes with the x button in the corner is difficult, but htc are far better for fixes and updates than samsung ever were

Guest dopeness
thanks for the answers! i will definitely buy it!

I waited for the HD2 becasue I was not impressed with the new Omnia II or the phones Verizon was giong to put out. I jumped ship to T-mo and the HD2. I am going to tell you my pros and cons.

Obvious Cons:

1. Landscape mode is not a given for all programs. I REALLY miss the Omnia being able to flip the screen in any direction. The HD2 is lacking.

2. There is no cc: or bcc;: in your mms messages.

3. I miss using the stylus - a lot. I knew the screen was capacitive from the start. But there are capacitive stylus availible - they don't work. HTC makes one and I am waiting to get it in the mail. SWYPE is my keyboard of choice, but there are no directional buttons for you to easily jump in a message and make a correction. It is irritating.

4. no tv-out

5. VERY glitchy (for me at least). Too many freezes. I did not expect this out of such a powerful device. never had these problems with the Omnia.

6. Not enough usefull buttons to assign tasks to.

Not so obvious Cons:

1. This LEO forum only has three pages. I hve no idea if it is due t T-mobile not having as many clients as Verizon or people not knowing that this site is here, but the Omnia, starting off had a heap of posters and pages full of useful information. Don't get me wrong, there are people willing to help here, but to piece together your answers you are gong to have to use a multitude of sites to get what your looking for.

2. T-mobile version is different in size than the europe version SO you have to be careful in ordering acessories.

The Good:

1. Screen - epic.

2. Picture manipulation/zooming - wow.

3. Camera - The best pics I have ever seen from phone (outside in natural light especially).

4. Good speaker.

5. More memory than you can shake a stick at.

6. Decent battery life.

Overall, I would not suggest this phone to anyone who expected a smooth transition from the Omnia. But that is just me. i have not given up on the hd2. I just expected a little more from seeing the specs and from htc.

Guest Zooklov

Not agree.

I got it for 6 months. And i MUST say most of the "low" points you gave are just NOT TRUE.

Please take time to find out how to fix your problems before you blame the phone.

For exemple you can use BSB tweak to rotate any app.

HD2 does have cc ....

90% of what to said is EASY to set up.

Regards

Guest dopeness

I wish people would actually read the posts they are responding to. A lot of feelings and smugness would be eliminated. I mentioned that landscape is lacking because, out of the box, the Omnia was great. You did not need to "find" a tweak or search a board or take 5 seconds to 5 minutes to "add" a program. It was a nice out-of-the-box feature. UNLIKE the hd2. This is not human error. It is a feature that does not natively exhist. Again, something a person might want to know as they consider buying the hd2.

Guest amitsharma.atc
Hi!

I want to buy a new cel phone.

I own an omnia and I'm searching for it's best replacement.

I think the HD2 is the best option right now.

I would like to know your opinions, if it's worth to spend the money on it.

thanks.

hi friend...

i m in same condition as you. i hv omnia and now i want to change my phone... i like win mo so there is only two best option hd2 & omnia 2

both mobile has their advantage and disadvantage

omnia 2:

advantage :

1. amoled wvga screen

2. 8/16 gb inbuilt memory + micro sd card

3. front camera for video call

4. xvid codec pre installed

5. powerful battery life

6. great inbuilt applications by samsung like calender, call log, phonebook, tclock etc. and many more

6. camera is very good for stills and hd videos

disadvantage :

1. bad written opel GL driver

3. 3d performance is not as good as hd2

HTC HD2

Advantage :

1. huge 4.3 " capacitive touchscreen

2. 1 ghz powerful processor

3. slim build

4. great 3d performance And htc touch sense

Disadvantage :

1.no inbuilt memory just micro sd card

2. no front camera for video call

3. no xvid codec pre installed

4. camera is average for stills and videos

now its depend on you what you want

i think i'll go for omnia 2

thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Guest vi3t_sk8ter

i had an Omnia before switching to HD2 and i must say the picture quality taken on the Omnia was better than the HD2 but other than that everything on the HD2 seems to beat the Omnia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ibe6ube9

i was on omnia 2 and to be honest i miss it. hd2 is a good phone...well considering fact that sms goes sometimes to wrong person...as i read on the net.. sms not sending at all or other end recieves it few hours later; .but my question is..how do u streem videos from your pc to hd2 va wifi. omnia2 had it sorted out with connect home app

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zagzag99

Hey, I just did the first step in switching to HD2.

I just bought an HD2 an hour ago.

I already know I don't like the current ROM.

I will try to switch to Android.

But before I do that, can someone direct me to ROM sites other than xda-developers ?

For omnia modaco was a good source of roms, what are the good sources for HD2 ?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Guest Revhead

I'm looking at switching to the HD2 too.

I love my i900 Omnia especially sincing flashing a new ROM and adding SPB Mobile Shell with mskip's great WP7 skin.

But my poor old Omnia is starting to show its age.

Everyone has an iPhone and I'm not everyone and you probably all feel the same way too. I like the look of the Galaxy S but Android is not mature and neither I'm guessing is WP7 yet either?

I'm attracted by the HD2 because as a piece of hardware it's right up there, but I can keep on using WM which means I can keep on using all the great apps that are available and freely downloadable, especially Igo8 which I use all the time.

I understand that later when it becomes more mature I can reflash it with Android if I want anyway?

I assume that all I have to do to unlock the HD2 once I get one is flash a new ROM like I did with my Omnia?

In Australia Telstra offers a NextG version called HTC TOUCH HD2 T9193 (with GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900, 3G 850 (NextG/US3G) and 3G 2100).

I assume that it will also work with 3G Vodafone downunder once it is unlocked?

One other questions for Omnia/HD2 owners. I'm hoping the HD2 doesn't suffer from the Omnia's hit and miss Wi-fi problems. I have rarely managed to get my Omnia to connect with my Billion router at home.

Edited by Revhead

I was a happy owner of i8000 for about an year, last week i jumped on HD2 from T-mobile and believe me the difference is really evident.

First of all i'm fun af sense UI that in omnia never worked fine for openGL issue.

Sense in htc is obviosuly Super.

But the most great advantage in HD2 is possibility to have a dual OS device.

Yes Android on HD2 works really smooth and i'm talking about Froyo release in Sense salsa.

If you try android you really appreciate web navigation on a smartphone and email management

My only regreat for omnia is screen dimension; for everyday use 3.8 or 4.0 inch is max dimension.

Mega hd2 screen is very nice to see but not ideal for my pockets.

I hate Iphone; WM7 is just born with lots of deficit, Android is very fast and easy to use but at the moment it miss some software than i need.

The old WM 6.5.3 is actually my best option and hd2 is its best expression with Android option tha's really a PLUS

xRevhead wifi in HD2 works really fine

Edited by Mrcot

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Revhead

I took the plunge and bought an HD2.

It's been a couple of weeks now and I have nearly got it set up just the way I want.

Tried latest offical ROM, but switched OzROM 5.20 WWE and then updated the radio to 2.15.50.14 which seems to have solved battery problems.

I'm a fan of Spb Mobile Shell and am running MSkip Windows Phone 7 Theme, with the addition of a couple of extras.

Now looks and functions like WP7.

My only gripe concerns the keyboard.

I have big fingers and I really miss the stylus from my i900.

Have tried SPB's keyboard as well as Swype - but my big fingers still get in the way.

Guest andrew.mazlim

I want to replace my i900 too... My choices are Omnia II, iPhone 3GS and HTC HD2.

The point is, whatever I'll buy, I want a POWERFULL 3D "Manila" as UI! So... I guess, my only choice is HD2, right?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Maxwell Newton

Do IT! i did exactly the same thing, there were things i loved about my omnia, and the HD2 has all those but it also does everything i hated my omnia for not doing.... CAPACITIVE touchscreen..... youll love it!

I have just been looking at the latest HTC phones, in specific the desire hd, and its basically the same phone under the hood. Slightly more RAM and an OLED screen is all your getting, but the screen is smaller.....

Also now with android hitting the hd2 in a major way there really isnt a better time to get one!

do it!

• 4 months later...
Guest idomybest

I was thinking about giving it as my birthday present to myself and only.

Its kinda 2 years old phone in the market, but it seems to still one of the best.

Oh damm

Guest andrew.mazlim
I was thinking about giving it as my birthday present to myself and only.

Its kinda 2 years old phone in the market, but it seems to still one of the best.

Oh damm

Go for it, mate! It's bloody marvelous! I can't tell you how happy I am!

This SHOULD be the phone I had to buy in the first place...