[HOWTO]Step-by-step, N00b Guide To Rooting!

Guest 42turkeys

Guest 42turkeys

This is my step-by-step guide to rooting the HTC Hero. It combines guides by Paul, theunlockr.com and xda to give you the complete guide.

It explains why you should root, and also gives you a list of cool stuff you can do like splash screen once you've rooted.

It also requires no adb for goldcarding so you don't have to download the sdk!

You can find the guide at www.roothtchero.co.uk

Or this as a backup :)

Please give me feedback and suggestions on how to improve it and I hope this will help n00bs! ;)

Changelog

Revision History

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest tdohappens

good job. but ...

as far as i know, the goldcard method is essential for downgrading and there is no mention of it.

no mention of radios either.

you could say a few words about wavesecure and give a link to the update.zip

keep up the good work :)

Guest 42turkeys
good job. but ...

as far as i know, the goldcard method is essential for downgrading and there is no mention of it.

no mention of radios either.

you could say a few words about wavesecure and give a link to the update.zip

keep up the good work :)

Goldcard only needed if you want to trick it into thinking that it's a generic device and you only need that on a T-Mobile one to downgrade.

And that is mentioned here ;)

I shall add the latest radio update but not wavesecure as that's related to MCR not general rooting and you have to pay for it!

Guest afiorillo

Just rooted a friend' of mine Hero with these steps (although no need to downgrade), worked like a charm. Thank you.

Guest zula
Just added radio update & nexus one boot animation.

COMING SOON - Change Splash Screen

Just flashed my hero whit your tutorial, great job!

Waiting to know how to change the splash screen!

Thanks!

Guest 42turkeys
Just flashed my hero whit your tutorial, great job!

Waiting to know how to change the splash screen!

Will add that tonight hopefully but if you want to do it now then flash Paul's unlocked SPL and then there's a tutorial on theunlockr.com which will tell you how to do it!

Guest zula
Will add that tonight hopefully but if you want to do it now then flash Paul's unlocked SPL and then there's a tutorial on theunlockr.com which will tell you how to do it!

Thanks for your attetion, I don't mind waiting, i'm happy with my behero rom right now, so I'll wait to do that little tricks.

Guest Dark_Reign
Thanks for your attetion, I don't mind waiting, i'm happy with my behero rom right now, so I'll wait to do that little tricks.

Ok, I admit I'm a newbie but I really want to give this ago. My problem is that I'm getting an Error 171 usb connection error when I come the very last step in the Gold Card procedure: " Double click the RUU exe you downloaded while the phone is plugged in with the GoldCard in it and follow the on screen procedure. This should have installed the old generic Hero rom on your phone" :)

I've use the Official HTC RUU to downgrade to 2.73.405.5 here ftp://xda:[email protected]/Hero...ed_NoDriver.exe

I have also tried: ;)

RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_1.76.405.1_R3_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver

RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver

RUU_Hero_T-Mobile_UK_2.73.110.26_R_release_signed_NoDriver

Can anyone shed some light on this and show me the way to get pass this block. I've got t-mobile G2 touch running 2.73.110.26

:D

Guest 42turkeys
Ok, I admit I'm a newbie but I really want to give this ago. My problem is that I'm getting an Error 171 usb connection error when I come the very last step in the Gold Card procedure: " Double click the RUU exe you downloaded while the phone is plugged in with the GoldCard in it and follow the on screen procedure. This should have installed the old generic Hero rom on your phone" :)

I've use the Official HTC RUU to downgrade to 2.73.405.5 here ftp://xda:[email protected]/Hero...ed_NoDriver.exe

I have also tried: ;)

RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_1.76.405.1_R3_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver

RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver

RUU_Hero_T-Mobile_UK_2.73.110.26_R_release_signed_NoDriver

Can anyone shed some light on this and show me the way to get pass this block. I've got t-mobile G2 touch running 2.73.110.26

:D

Is USB debugging off? That generic 2.73.xxx RUU is the one you need.

UPDATE: New web address www.roothtchero.co.uk

Guest Dark_Reign
Is USB debugging off? That generic 2.73.xxx RUU is the one you need.

UPDATE: New web address www.roothtchero.co.uk

Thanks for the advice. USB debugging is ticked but the error remains the same. Maybe I should retrace my steps and go over the goldcard procedure again? :)

Guest 42turkeys
Thanks for the advice. USB debugging is ticked but the error remains the same. Maybe I should retrace my steps and go over the goldcard procedure again? :)

Usb debugging needs to be off. Check that you've got HTC sync installed as that gives you the drivers you need. It's not a goldcard issue.

Guest 42turkeys

Updated with

• Change splash screen
  • How to flash an update.zip

• A2SD
    • Prepakaged fastboot for splash screen (So you don't have to install the SDK)

Please carry on giving me advice and feedback so I can make it better!

Also, I'm thinking of doing a rootmyandroid.com site to be like the central hub for root guides and stuff. Do you think this would be a good idea?

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest Dark_Reign
Updated with
  • Change splash screen
  • How to flash an update.zip

• A2SD
    • Prepakaged fastboot for splash screen (So you don't have to install the SDK)

Please carry on giving me advice and feedback so I can make it better!

Also, I'm thinking of doing a rootmyandroid.com site to be like the central hub for root guides and stuff. Do you think this would be a good idea?

"good idea?" Hell yes!

Guest 42turkeys
"good idea?" Hell yes!

Lets get some good ideas going. I would need to choose a domain name (eg modaco.com if you're not sure what that is) so please give me suggestions on:

• The domain name
  • The layout
  • Anything else!
  • A logo (Could someone design one please!)

I shall start creating it now! If anyone would like to help me then you can PM me with a guide or part of a guide for your phone or links to good guides.

Also, should I do it wiki style or regular site style?

Wiki example Regular site example

@Dark_Reign Have you managed to root yet?

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest 42turkeys
First off, great guide, but minor points skipped... Noob users won't know what flashrec is, nevermind how to open it :rolleyes:

# Open flashrec on your phone and tap 'Backup Recovery' (if you get an error here then it means you haven't downgraded)

From http://www.roothtchero.co.uk/step-2

I will change that ASAP. Thanks for telling me!

Guest trstn
I will change that ASAP. Thanks for telling me!

No probs. Great guide, I've already directed a couple of people towards it :rolleyes:

Guest 42turkeys
No probs. Great guide, I've already directed a couple of people towards it :rolleyes:

It now reads 'Open the flashrec app that you installed earlier and tap 'Backup Recovery'

Guest Dark_Reign
Lets get some good ideas going. I would need to choose a domain name (eg modaco.com if you're not sure what that is) so please give me suggestions on:
  • The domain name
  • The layout
  • Anything else!
  • A logo (Could someone design one please!)

I shall start creating it now! If anyone would like to help me then you can PM me with a guide or part of a guide for your phone or links to good guides.

Also, should I do it wiki style or regular site style?

Wiki example Regular site example

@Dark_Reign Have you managed to root yet?

I plan to give it a bash this evening. Lets hope I don't end up with a brick!!!

Guest 42turkeys
I plan to give it a bash this evening. Lets hope I don't end up with a brick!!!

It's almost impossible to brick your phone when rooting as long as you follow the instructions properly! Let us know how you get on.

Guest 42turkeys
thx, just rooted my hero...was easier than i thought.

Enjoy your new freedom!

Also: Should I make a 'HTC stop lying to us about our 2.1 update' app?

Edited by 42turkeys