• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

[HOWTO]Step-by-step, N00b Guide To Rooting!

68 posts in this topic

Posted

Updating now to include a FroYo (2.2) ROM! :rolleyes:

Don't get too excited, the only thing that works is 3G! The new launcher is cool though.

See this post on XDA for more info.

[EDIT: OMG OMG OMG!!!! Some Nexus One owners are getting 2.2 OTA now! Great ROMS here we come!!! :D :( :(

Posted

[shameless Self Promo]

Have a look @ GoldCardTool, it's a Windows App to pull the CID and patch the MMC card.

I'm happy for you to include it in your guide and/or distribute it freely.

Posted (edited)

[shameless Self Promo]

Have a look @ GoldCardTool, it's a Windows App to pull the CID and patch the MMC card.

I'm happy for you to include it in your guide and/or distribute it freely.

Wow that looks really cool! :rolleyes: Will add that in now.

EDIT: Would it be possible to compress it into .zip instead of .rar so I can open it in Ubuntu and make it easier for people to extract within Windows.

EDIT 2: Just done it http://www.filefactory.com/file/b1d16ag/n/GoldCardTool_exe

Edited by 42turkeys

Posted

Would it be possible to compress it into .zip instead of .rar so I can open it in Ubuntu and make it easier for people to extract within Windows.

Uploaded as zip, Not much use in Ubuntu, as it uses some Windows system dll's for patching the MMC.

I'm currently looking for a way of making it multi platform, but programming language skills are limited.

Posted (edited)

Uploaded as zip, Not much use in Ubuntu, as it uses some Windows system dll's for patching the MMC.

I'm currently looking for a way of making it multi platform, but programming language skills are limited.

Yeah I tried running it in wine but no luck. Updating the guide now: http://sites.google.com/site/roothtchero/goldcard-2

I can't beleive how easy you made this! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Updated www.roothtchero.co.uk/goldcard-2

Edited by 42turkeys

Posted

Lets get some good ideas going. I would need to choose a domain name (eg modaco.com if you're not sure what that is) so please give me suggestions on:
  • The domain name
  • The layout
  • Anything else!
  • A logo (Could someone design one please!)

I shall start creating it now! If anyone would like to help me then you can PM me with a guide or part of a guide for your phone or links to good guides.

Also, should I do it wiki style or regular site style?

Wiki example Regular site example

@Dark_Reign Have you managed to root yet?

This is where I fall down:

"Open the flashrec app that you installed earlier and tap 'Backup Recovery'. And for my sins I get Back-up failed: could not run command

... re install flashrec verion1.1.2 and guess what!!!

Tell me, before I tap 'Backup Recovery' should I not type sdcard/recovery.img? I've uploaded the recovery img and the flashrec i've used. Let me know if they are correct for a t-mobile g2 touch.

recovery.img

Posted

This is where I fall down:

"Open the flashrec app that you installed earlier and tap 'Backup Recovery'. And for my sins I get Back-up failed: could not run command

... re install flashrec verion1.1.2 and guess what!!!

Tell me, before I tap 'Backup Recovery' should I not type sdcard/recovery.img? I've uploaded the recovery img and the flashrec i've used. Let me know if they are correct for a t-mobile g2 touch.

...your site wont let me upload the flashrec but it's flashrec-1.1.2-20090909.apk if thats any help

Posted

...your site wont let me upload the flashrec but it's flashrec-1.1.2-20090909.apk if thats any help

I'm missing a step arnt I? Like 'downgrade using the Generic RUU.'

Posted

I'm missing a step arnt I? Like 'downgrade using the Generic RUU.'

Error [131] customer id error. Must have the wrong ruu - RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver. Maybe I should try???

Posted

Error [131] customer id error. Must have the wrong ruu - RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver. Maybe I should try???

Yes, you do need to downgrade.

Posted (edited)

You need to do this step first as it says in step 1: www.roothtchero.co.uk/goldcard-2

You probably didn't see it as it says 'T-Mobile HTC Hero' rather than G2.

Edited by 42turkeys

Posted

Added FroYo ROMs from xda in step 3.

Posted

Updated with the Villain ROMs as the best 2.1 ROM as it offers so much choice.

Posted

You need to do this step first as it says in step 1: www.roothtchero.co.uk/goldcard-2

You probably didn't see it as it says 'T-Mobile HTC Hero' rather than G2.

Ok, it's official, I must be dum cos I can't get this $£%^& to work. Oh well, at least we now have the official ROM - bet I can mess that up too. :(

Posted

Hi,

My Hero now using VillainROM6.2.0 based on Android 2.1 and it quite slow, unstable. I decide to restore original ROM and unable to archive that.

Here is my Software Information on the phone:

- Firmware version: VillainROM6.2.0

- Baseband version: 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

- Kernel version:

2.6.23_grrr@ben

kendon@nx #39

- Build number: VillainROM6.2.0

- Software number: 1.13.531.1

- Browser version: WebKit 3.1

When I tried to restore the original ROM and the start up screen stay on "HERO" forever.

The question is: How can I restore the original ROM (rooted or un-rooted is OK)? So I can start it over again :)

Many thanks

Posted

Google pagerank at 0 now, which is what they give to sites that do not comply with the guidelines. Can any experts take a look for me and give me some advice? I think my site complies with all of that. :)

PS: Thanks whoever it was for making this sticky :)

Posted (edited)

Hi, I'm new to this forum and Android so bear with me.

I downloaded "RUU_Hero_Orange_UK_2.73.61.5_release_signed_NoDriver.exe" from 2 sources :

1) One was the link provided from the guide

http://www.roothtchero.co.uk/step1 -> Orange-UK which points to

http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportViewNews.aspx...amp;news_id=261

needed to supply the HTC hero serial number after which the image is downloaded

2) Index of ftp://[email protected]/Hero/Official-ROMs/

My problem/issue is that the md5sum signatures of the files are different and I see no reason why this should be : Both are for the UK Orange branded phone and have the same version number (at least that's what the filename says). What is the difference, why and which is the correct one to use ?

Maybe I'm paranoid but I feel a bit nervous installing/using files for which I cannot trace their authenticy and using them on a general purpose communicating devices : what if someone or some organization injected code to eavesdrop on my communication and steal passwords ?

Does anyone know the correct md5sum for this file ?

Thanks.

Edited by ikfredje

Posted

Hi, I'm new to this forum and Android so bear with me.

I downloaded "RUU_Hero_Orange_UK_2.73.61.5_release_signed_NoDriver.exe" from 2 sources :

1) One was the link provided from the guide

http://www.roothtchero.co.uk/step1 -> Orange-UK which points to

http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportViewNews.aspx...amp;news_id=261

needed to supply the HTC hero serial number after which the image is downloaded

2) Index of ftp://[email protected]/Hero/Official-ROMs/

My problem/issue is that the md5sum signatures of the files are different and I see no reason why this should be : Both are for the UK Orange branded phone and have the same version number (at least that's what the filename says). What is the difference, why and which is the correct one to use ?

Maybe I'm paranoid but I feel a bit nervous installing/using files for which I cannot trace their authenticy and using them on a general purpose communicating devices : what if someone or some organization injected code to eavesdrop on my communication and steal passwords ?

Does anyone know the correct md5sum for this file ?

Thanks.

Go for the one linked to from the site as that is the official HTC one. I'm sure the xda one would be fine though. :)

Posted (edited)

Hi

I am a new member here at MoDaCo

I just wanted to say that i tried this way to root my phone but it just wouldn't works when I try to install the RUU it gives me error 171. I googled it to find a solution but I didn't find one. Can anyone of you help? Thank you.

Edited by habibs

Posted

Hi

I am a new member here at MoDaCo

I just wanted to say that i tried this way to root my phone but it just wouldn't works when I try to install the RUU it gives me error 171. I googled it to find a solution but I didn't find one. Can anyone of you help? Thank you.

Have you got HTC sync installed? You could try another computer.

Posted

Have you got HTC sync installed? You could try another computer.

Yes I had HTC Sync installed.

Anyways I used a computer which had windows XP on it and the error didn't pop out I think it is because of the driver problem on windows 7. Thank you for your help

Posted

Sprint HTC Hero w/ sense 2.1 installed...

Tried windows 7/xp with HTC Sync installed on both

Disabled usb debugging mode

Still will not let me install the sprint release from the wiki link...

It says something to the effect that its not the right version for my phone

Any suggestions?

Posted

Sprint HTC Hero w/ sense 2.1 installed...

Tried windows 7/xp with HTC Sync installed on both

Disabled usb debugging mode

Still will not let me install the sprint release from the wiki link...

It says something to the effect that its not the right version for my phone

Any suggestions?

If you're on official 2.1 there's a different method. I think there's a link on the site.

Posted

Guys i have a problem with unrooting. now i run some 2.1 rom but i want go back to 1.6. I was downloaded official RUU from HTC web like always but when i try install RUU via HTC sync i get error 155.

help me plz