[HOWTO]Step-by-step, N00b Guide To Rooting!

Guest 42turkeys

Guest niallm

Can i ask a really stupid question?

Im looking at rooting my Tmobile G2 tonight. Ive been reading the guide beforehand just so ive got an idea of what im doing before bulldozing in. With the gold card, does this need to be permenantly in the G2 or is it only needed to modify the phone and then you are free to use another card with apps/music/pictures etc?

I know im being special, but just want to double check before i ruin anything!

cheers much

Guest 42turkeys
Guys i have a problem with unrooting. now i run some 2.1 rom but i want go back to 1.6. I was downloaded official RUU from HTC web like always but when i try install RUU via HTC sync i get error 155.

help me plz

What error is that in text?

Can i ask a really stupid question?

Im looking at rooting my Tmobile G2 tonight. Ive been reading the guide beforehand just so ive got an idea of what im doing before bulldozing in. With the gold card, does this need to be permenantly in the G2 or is it only needed to modify the phone and then you are free to use another card with apps/music/pictures etc?

I know im being special, but just want to double check before i ruin anything!

cheers much

Goldcard can be permanently in or just for rooting.

Guest niallm
What error is that in text?

Goldcard can be permanently in or just for rooting.

Thank you so much - phone is now rooted running Villain, i love it!

Guest beejreit
If you're on official 2.1 there's a different method. I think there's a link on the site.

I couldnt find it.

But I did find this "DO NOT INSTALL ANY OFFICIAL HTC UPDATES AS THEY WILL UNROOT YOUR DEVICE AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ROOT AGAIN!"

:lol:

What about goldcarding? I that my only option now? Can/should I gold card with a CDMA hero?

I guess I should've looked into rooting before jumping on to HTC's official 2.1

Guest 42turkeys
I couldnt find it.

But I did find this "DO NOT INSTALL ANY OFFICIAL HTC UPDATES AS THEY WILL UNROOT YOUR DEVICE AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ROOT AGAIN!"

:lol:

What about goldcarding? I that my only option now? Can/should I gold card with a CDMA hero?

I guess I should've looked into rooting before jumping on to HTC's official 2.1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=694572

Do the method above & then start from www.roothtchero.co.uk/step-3

Guest 42turkeys
I updated my sim free hero to the pre 2.1 OTA update. Does this lock me out of rooting and flashing a custom rom?

Nope, you can still root.

Just follow the guide...

Guest 3djon
Nope, you can still root.

Just follow the guide...

Ok, cool thanks for the info, I'll give this a try now, and report back with any issues/success I have.

Followed your guide, was able to successfully install custom RA recovery image, as well as flash a custom rom (VillianROM12.0.0)

Hero is speedy with 2.1 and whatever built in OC Villian has done. Is it bad that I now use my hero as day to day device and legend is to the side waiting for 2.2 lol

Edited by 3djon

Guest abaddon879

I am struggling with rooting my Hero. I have followed the steps, but when I restart holding home and the pwoer button, it doesnt bring up and green writing. What I get is an image of a phone with a triangle above it with an exclamation mark in it. I have left it for 5-10 minutes but it does not seem to do anything after this.

Anyone know what I've done wrong?

Guest 42turkeys
I am struggling with rooting my Hero. I have followed the steps, but when I restart holding home and the pwoer button, it doesnt bring up and green writing. What I get is an image of a phone with a triangle above it with an exclamation mark in it. I have left it for 5-10 minutes but it does not seem to do anything after this.

Anyone know what I've done wrong?

This is the stock android recovery, try flashing the recovery image again using flashrec and note carefully any errors it gives you.

Guest abaddon879

Ah thanks, I just realised myself I had missed step 6. I'll try it again now.

EDIT: Works now, thanks.

Edited by abaddon879

Guest 42turkeys

Back on page 1 I said that I would make a site with root guides for all phones.

That site is currently under development!

You can check out the progress on http://rootmydroid.co.uk

If you are interested in writing a howto then please PM me and I will add you as a contributor.

If you have any comments please post here! :lol:

Guest vanillarycebaby
Yes I had HTC Sync installed.

Anyways I used a computer which had windows XP on it and the error didn't pop out I think it is because of the driver problem on windows 7. Thank you for your help

Thanks so much for this guide!!

Unfortunately, I've had a similar issue during downgrading, whereby the (generic) RUU generates the 171 error ('USB disconnection').

I've tried with the following:

* USB debugging turned on & off

* Formatted SD card successfully

* Goldcard installed successfully

* HTC Sync installed & re-installed

* Hero drivers uninstalled & re-installed

I haven't tried on a different computer/OS because my other machines also have Win7, unfortunately. I'd rather not install XP on any machines.

Please, if anyone has any suggestions!

Edited by vanillarycebaby

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hateus
Hi

I am a new member here at MoDaCo

I just wanted to say that i tried this way to root my phone but it just wouldn't works when I try to install the RUU it gives me error 171. I googled it to find a solution but I didn't find one. Can anyone of you help? Thank you.

Ok im a noob so no one please slate my comment :-) but i had this problem and fixed it by installing these drivers as well as the adb ones that comes with the htc sync

http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownload...load-81097.html

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jezperrott
Thanks for the advice. USB debugging is ticked but the error remains the same. Maybe I should retrace my steps and go over the goldcard procedure again? :)

This is exactly the same issue I'm having. I have 2.1 installed, so I need to downgrade. I have taken ALL the steps and followed them to the letter. However, it disconnects from the USB whenever I launch the RUU. I can see it happen, as the HTC Sync goes grey. It then gives the USB error.

Please help! We can't be the only two people in the world this is happening to!

Tried all ways. No luck.

Thanks

Jez

Guest jezperrott
Ok im a noob so no one please slate my comment :-) but i had this problem and fixed it by installing these drivers as well as the adb ones that comes with the htc sync

http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownload...load-81097.html

Hateus, I tried updating the drivers. They did update, but didn't help the situation. Thanks anyway.

As soon as I close the RUU, the PC reconnects with the phone again. :)

• 2 months later...
Guest dwattsy21

Hi, I have a brand new HTC hero that I want to do this to. Does thsi method still apply to the new hero's pre isntalled with the 2.1 update?

Cheers,

Dave