Help! Rooting at Step 2 " Error: Device not found"

Guest rocky08

Guest rocky08

Hi,

I get stuck at the step 2 when I try to root my htc desire with T-mobile branding.

The first step was successively completed.

Then I formated the goldcard and put it back into the phone and started it with the "recovery mode"

then coming the red triangle with the exclamation sign. so far so good,

But then when I run step2-windows.bat, I got the following error message:

________________________________________________________________________________

____

C:\htc_desire\r4-desire-root>step2-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

C:\htc_desire\r4-desire-root>

I have tried many ways posted on the internet, like reinstall htc sync, restart pc, reinstall driver.....nothing helps :)

Can anyone help me to solve the problem?

Rocky

Guest irishandrew
Hi,

I get stuck at the step 2 when I try to root my htc desire with T-mobile branding.

The first step was successively completed.

[sNIP]

I find good results getting into Recovery image in windows (using the recovery batch file) by first putting the phone at the recovery stage (red triangle), then connecting my USB cable, then waiting a few seconds before running the batch as an admin.

As for rooting, as I'm using x64 Win7 and as some reported driver issues I decided to root it in Linux. Paul still has the TinyCoreLinux distro with all files necessary to download in the first post. If you're struggling I recommend making a live cd of it and doing it that way. Instructions follow in quote:

Note: This process will wipe your device and there is currently no option to backup your device ROM before you start.

* If you have an operator supplied device (i.e. non generic), make your microSD card into a goldcard by following these instructions (it's a good idea to back up the contents of your card first!).

* Burn the ISO you downloaded above to a CD and boot it, or boot it in a virtual machine.

* Press enter when prompted to load Linux. When it has loaded, click the little 'monitor' icon at the bottom of the screen to open a terminal window.

* Turn off your HTC desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer.

* In the terminal window, enter the following commands:

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom

sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

cd /mnt/cdrom/root

sudo ./step1.sh
* When this step has completed, using the optical trackball, navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select. Then, again in the terminal window, enter the following commands:
sudo ./step2.sh

* When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE! :)

Quoted from http://android.modaco.com/content-page/307...port/page/1110/

-Andrew.

Guest Pavelol

while u r in the step 2 just make a repair to the HTC SYNC.

and then go to device manger and tap scen for hardware changes.

worked for me.

Guest speedking34

It is quite possible that step one did not work properly, because your goldcard was not created properly, that is what happened to me.

If you card is parted (fat32 partition + ext3) then your goldcard will not work.

Guest byackee

Hello,

I had a same probleme since lot of hour!!! I resolved this pb with:

1/ completly desinstall HTCSync

2/ reinstall v2.0.33

3/ Reboot computer

4/ Activate USB debug on your Desire

5/ open terminal (CMD) on windows

6/ run "abd devices"

7/ turn off your phone

8/ and apply your root

Sorry for my english ..... :)

Good Luck

Guest rocky08
Hello,

I had a same probleme since lot of hour!!! I resolved this pb with:

1/ completly desinstall HTCSync

2/ reinstall v2.0.33

3/ Reboot computer

4/ Activate USB debug on your Desire

5/ open terminal (CMD) on windows

6/ run "abd devices"

7/ turn off your phone

8/ and apply your root

Sorry for my english ..... :)

Good Luck

Thank you for your reply. Can you elaborate step 6? what do you mean by run "abd devices"?

Guest DLDarklink
It is quite possible that step one did not work properly, because your goldcard was not created properly, that is what happened to me.

If you card is parted (fat32 partition + ext3) then your goldcard will not work.

Same here! I was rooting my friends Desire, so i did step 1 and it gave me some errors but the script automatically tells it went right. After a little search and some of my friends intelligence (not) we found out his phone was T-mobile branded :) (sigh)

So i made a Goldcard and SHABAM!

To sum it all up:

Check if your device is branded :D and use Linux... no shitty drivers needed ;)

Guest RalphM

Having a little trouble here and was wondering if anyone can help??? Have the Telstra model A8183 w/bootloader .75, created Gold Card, put the phone on FASTBOOT screen and then execute the "step1-windows.bat command and get the following results. Appears to be working, but then gets a 'FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)'. I have no idea what that means, but apparently I am not completing step1 properly. I have all the drivers and HTC sync installed too. I am using win 7 64, but also tried this on my Mac booting up windows XP (not in VMware).

Any assistance or ideas would be appreciated.

Not yelling here, just can't get the font to shrink. Sorry!

Thanks

c:\rootDesire>step1-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

Rebooting to bootloader...

Edited by RalphM

Guest rocky08
As for rooting, as I'm using x64 Win7 and as some reported driver issues I decided to root it in Linux. Paul still has the TinyCoreLinux distro with all files necessary to download in the first post. If you're struggling I recommend making a live cd of it and doing it that way.

-Andrew.

Thank you for your reply. I did it again in Linux with burned CD. Same error appear again "Device not found" Do you have other suggestions?

When using linux cd, do I need htc sycn too?

Guest afiorillo
Thank you for your reply. I did it again in Linux with burned CD. Same error appear again "Device not found" Do you have other suggestions?

When using linux cd, do I need htc sycn too?

Mate, can you still boot up the Desire and connect it to your computer via USB? Can you see the popup dialog box asking you what kind of connection to set up? If yes, try to change USB port / cable / computer; if no, sorry but you're USB-bricked.

And no: no drivers are required under Linux.

Edited by afiorillo

Guest rocky08
Mate, can you still boot up the Desire and connect it to your computer via USB? Can you see the popup dialog box asking you what kind of connection to set up? If yes, try to change USB port / cable / computer; if no, sorry but you're USB-bricked.

Thanks afiorillo, I finally found what I did wrongly. It is a beginner's error. When you collect htc to pc, you should select the "disk drive", otherwise pc can not find it.

Thank you all you guys, who gave me advices! I *ucked the T-mobile branding, and very very happy with my new Desire :)

Guest irishandrew
Thanks afiorillo, I finally found what I did wrongly. It is a beginner's error. When you collect htc to pc, you should select the "disk drive", otherwise pc can not find it.

Thank you all you guys, who gave me advices! I *ucked the T-mobile branding, and very very happy with my new Desire :)

Ah, I don't need to do this but we should have asked sooner - you need to have "USB Debugging" switched on. Ensures a decent connection for flashing ROMs etc. It's under Menu->Settings->Applications->Development

Having this on won't interfere with the normal use of your phone when you plug it in either. You will still get the menu to choose disk/charge only etc.

-Andrew