G1 or Pulse Mini (Newbie Question!)

Guest Wbrooks

Guest Wbrooks

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help me, I dont have a Android phone as yet and not able to get a contract as such but I do have been offered a G1 for £100. I was looking to get the pulse mini before I was offered the G1...

my question is what would you say is a better phone to have, the G1 or pulse mini? I want the phone to do all the typical andriod stuff (inc the cool star/space map or whatever the app is called, lol).

anyway hope someone can point me into the right direction, thanks in advance.

Guest jibbz
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help me, I dont have a Android phone as yet and not able to get a contract as such but I do have been offered a G1 for £100. I was looking to get the pulse mini before I was offered the G1...

my question is what would you say is a better phone to have, the G1 or pulse mini? I want the phone to do all the typical andriod stuff (inc the cool star/space map or whatever the app is called, lol).

i have a g1 myself n im freaking love it alot., i have root access n its pretty cool., i have never used the pulse but i did some research for someone on this forums n found tht it only have two roms n yet they are the originals with more tweets n all., so anyways i love the g1 i have it unlocked so i use it for tmobile n atnt thts how much i love it hahah., anyways if u do decide to get the g1 let me kno n ill hook u up with qucik rooting n all., n the best thing bout the g1 is tht it has full hardware qwerty keyboard n its touch at the same time n dont forget the track ball ;]

Guest klutsh

If your looking at going Android now, you need to be looking for a device that was released this year, the Pulse & Pulse Mini will be left with Android 2.1, the G1 will be left with android 1.6 (This isn't including Custom Rom's)

Even the Hero is only getting 2.1, and all the good new stuff isn't really arriving until 2.2, save a little more and go for a Nexus One or newer if you can.

Guest jibbz
Hi All,

did u decide which phone u getting?

Guest Alsajosora
If your looking at going Android now, you need to be looking for a device that was released this year, the Pulse & Pulse Mini will be left with Android 2.1, the G1 will be left with android 1.6 (This isn't including Custom Rom's)

Even the Hero is only getting 2.1, and all the good new stuff isn't really arriving until 2.2, save a little more and go for a Nexus One or newer if you can.

Hmmmm, if you have been keeping up with Cyanogens forum the G1 is able to run 2.1.....

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?/to...-v507-05252010/

Mine is as we speak, also the team there are currently pulling apart the sdk and reckon that they can get 2.2(Froyo) running on the G1 as well.......

I also have a T-mobile pulse and must say that I am now getting quite frustrated with the inability to upgrade this phone to even 2.1. Bigbearmdc and Paul have done sterling work in getting a beta rom working but it is to unstable to be used in my work phone....

Guest klutsh
Hmmmm, if you have been keeping up with Cyanogens forum the G1 is able to run 2.1.....

I did say "isn't including Custom Rom's",

Seriously though, the CPU in the G1, Pulse, Hero etc just isn't up to what 2.2 will fully need.

The hero even over clocked running 2.1 can't handle the Pre-Release Adobe Air for android (Pre-release does run on 2.1)

Guest Wbrooks

Well its going to be the G1 and I will have it tomorrow, the reason for this simply due to its not costing me anything, its being given to me! So as a starting point into driod not too bad, I understand the stock 1.6.....but then again, my mate picked up a pulse mini and i thought it was crap...sure it had some nice touches but it screamed "cheap" and slow to just do day to day stuff....lag on texting was really bad.

Edited by Wbrooks

Guest jibbz
Well its going to be the G1 and I will have it tomorrow, the reason for this simply due to its not costing me anything, its being given to me! So as a starting point into driod not too bad, I understand the stock 1.6.....but then again, my mate picked up a pulse mini and i thought it was crap...sure it had some nice touches but it screamed "cheap" and slow to just do day to day stuff....lag on texting was really bad.

you have made the right choice hahaha jk., but i like g1 too., its pretty cool., n now tht 2.2 came out ., i have tested it on my g1 its pretty fast but its not fully funtioned yet so im jus waiting for devs to make roms n all tht goodies.,

if u want to root or anything with ur g1 let me kno ill help you out., i havea really easy way to root it :]

Guest Wbrooks
you have made the right choice hahaha jk., but i like g1 too., its pretty cool., n now tht 2.2 came out ., i have tested it on my g1 its pretty fast but its not fully funtioned yet so im jus waiting for devs to make roms n all tht goodies.,

if u want to root or anything with ur g1 let me kno ill help you out., i havea really easy way to root it :]

lol yeah, I always thought "Free" is always the right choice! hahaha

So...I now have a G1, really loving it some cool apps out there.....so....what next? what is this rooting all about then, why do it? i am interested.....lol

Guest chrish2009

No doubt about it, defo the G1, i found pulse mini horrible to use. The screen on it is really too small

chris

^^sorry didnt mean too post twice^^

chris

Edited by chrish2009

Guest jibbz
lol yeah, I always thought "Free" is always the right choice! hahaha

So...I now have a G1, really loving it some cool apps out there.....so....what next? what is this rooting all about then, why do it? i am interested.....lol

ok since ur interested., i will help you out on it., heres a good link tht will help u in full details., just one thing tht link is old but ignore that just watch the video and follow the steps.,

reply back when u get it done or u get stuck somewhere ;]

here's the link

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/22/how-to-ro...1-in-one-click/

Guest Wbrooks
ok since ur interested., i will help you out on it., heres a good link tht will help u in full details., just one thing tht link is old but ignore that just watch the video and follow the steps.,

reply back when u get it done or u get stuck somewhere ;]

here's the link

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/22/how-to-ro...1-in-one-click/

thanks dude, I have one question and sorry if it sounds stupid....but WHY root it in the first place? I been online looking for answers, found hundreds of videos and "how To's" etc.....but no body saying WHY its worth doing lol.....

what is the benifit of rooting? any examples....?

Guest jibbz

ok the main reason i rooted cuz of all the different roms and cool features each different rom brings., another reason is to show off., i mean how many ppl do u kno in ur school or friends tht have a g1 and is rooted? but when they sew urs they get really amazed hahaha cuz tht happen to me hahah ;]., also u can have pre-released updates like e.g the g1 only is up to 1.6 on normal stock version but wit root its already on 2.2., which is freaking awesome., abd theres many more things about it you just have to explore it all once u root it ;]., hope this answers ur question in a way....and did u root ur g1?