How do I update my Pulse to 2.1?

Guest tomjo7

Guest tomjo7

Okay I plan to update my T-Mobile pulse to 2.1 tonight. I have no idea how to go about it. I know I need to backup my pulse first but don't even know how to do that... Sorry for being such an amateur, but can anyone help, or direct me to a step by step guide?

I bought the phone off ebay and am currently using - MoDaCo Custom ROM 1.7

Kernel Version 2.6.27-perf root@vmware-karmic-x64 )

Baseband Version - 6383

Firmware - 1.5

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Guest Speckles

First step - See if you have Amon Ra Recovery - Switch your phone off, Press and hold Menu+red whilst turning phone on. See if you get a backup/restore option.

Guest tomjo7
First step - See if you have Amon Ra Recovery - Switch your phone off, Press and hold Menu+red whilst turning phone on. See if you get a backup/restore option.

Yes I do have that just tried it then. So if I have a blank MicroSD card in there I can just click on Backup/Restore and work it from there?

Thanks for the help by the way.

Guest flash2004

Before upgrading to 2.1 please do a bit of analysis and make sure you are comfortable with the work-in-progress ROM as this is a ONE-WAY-STREET :(.

It still requires a bit of polishing and so not suitable for robust everyday use yet. I was refreshing this forum every hour for the last 3 months (ok. not every hour, but really frequently) to wait for 2.1, but now since this has arrived, I am yet to upgrade myself.

If you are sure. Here is a lovely guide with pictures

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...-with-pictures/

Edited by flash2004

Guest tomjo7
Before upgrading to 2.1 please do a bit of analysis and make sure you are comfortable with the work-in-progress ROM as this is a ONE-WAY-STREET :(.

It still requires a bit of polishing and so not suitable for robust everyday use yet. I was refreshing this forum every hour for the last 3 months (ok. not every hour, but really frequently) to wait for 2.1, but now since this has arrived, I am yet to upgrade myself.

Hi mate,

Yes I really am interested. Although I was thinking of updating to the t-mobile 2.1 rom from hungary. Hopefully I wont have language problems...

Plus, afterwards if i don't like it a can always restore using the backup i'm going to do.

Thanks

Guest Speckles

Read the forum - It's been said more than once that you can not restore 1.5 after updating to 2.1. Not sure why, but I bet the experts do :( Maybe hardware gets flashed which is incompatible with 1.5 drivers, I dunno.

Just a word of warning. Thats why people say it's a one-way street.

If you want to go ahead with it, choose "Nand backup", then you can restore if the update fails (maybe)

Edited by Speckles

Guest tomjo7

Just a bit of an update for everyone.

I took the risk - did it and it worked. Everything is working fine, well, that I've tested anyway. And it came out in english first time!

Calls and texts work, and the phone vibrates. Internet works both 3g and wireless. GPS works. I can download apps. Everything I've tested. The only problem I've noticed so far is that the live wallpapers revert back to the standard ones now and again. other than that it all works!

Cheers

Guest brtemp
Just a bit of an update for everyone.

I took the risk - did it and it worked. Everything is working fine, well, that I've tested anyway. And it came out in english first time!

...just curious.. how long did it take to apply the update once you started? I'm thinking of upgrading as well.. and don't want to panic too soon...

Guest tomjo7
...just curious.. how long did it take to apply the update once you started? I'm thinking of upgrading as well.. and don't want to panic too soon...

Only about ten minutes if that. To be honest I was terrified in parts though because the phone kept freezing up while it was doing it, but I just let it do it's thing and it's fine so far.