19/Aug - Streak 1.6 downloads / how-tos (ROM / Superboot / Recovery)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul

This topic is the place to find everything related to Android 1.6 on your Dell Streak.

ALL FILES BELOW ARE USED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Enjoy! :)

P

ROM downloads (update zip format)

About

These ROMs are in pkg format for installation via a STOCK recovery image (see below).

• Build 4399 (rooted, intended for O2 devices) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: b3cd6f3facd39d8bf51ef956cf0a0cf1
  • Build 3883 (rooted, intended for O2 devices) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 06067784c4b508a758503e82b002b085

About

These ROMs are in pkg format for installation via a CUSTOM recovery image.

Download
    • Build 4399 (intended for O2 devices) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: c6653f92f695f772c41280be613ab2ce
    • Build 3883 (intended for O2 devices) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 08eaff2d75f5bdbb12bf0627c40b17f0
      • Stock recovery - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 1211852b3cea6f3610931f99d477ff5e
        • Download the pkg file above and copy it to your microSD card named 'update.pkg'.
        • ONLY if you have flashed a custom recovery image, you need to revert to a stock recovery image by carrying out the following steps:
          • Download the stock recovery image above and extract to a directory
          • Put your device in bootloader mode - Unplug the device from your PC, remove the device battery, then replace it and turn device on with the camera button pressed. Select the 'fastboot' text on the top right, wait around 10 seconds then plug the device into your PC. The screen display should change to 'FASTBOOT MODE'. If it doesn't, repeat and retry (it's a bit temperamental!)
          • WINDOWS - double click 'install-recovery-windows.bat'
          • MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-mac.sh' followed by './install-recovery-mac.sh'
          • LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-linux.sh' followed by './install-recovery-linux.sh'

• Power on your device with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons pressed. This will give you a menu, where the second option is 'Apply update.pkg from SD card' Select this option (using volume keys and camera button to select).
          • When this process completes, your upgrade is done!

Superboot

About

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK by ChainsDD). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

Download

Before download, you should check your device's 'about' screen to determine which build number you are running. Although the Superboot may work on other builds than that for which it was designed, I cannot guarantee that!

[*]r2 for build 4399 - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: bf7bb1b0efcecb39d086256840db2ee8

[*]r1 for build 3883 - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 110e69808dc5145d1d0fca80f0d9ecb5

How to install

[*]Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory

[*]Put your device in bootloader mode - Unplug the device from your PC, remove the device battery, then replace it and turn device on with the camera button pressed. Select the 'fastboot' text on the top right, wait around 10 seconds then plug the device into your PC. The screen display should change to 'FASTBOOT MODE'. If it doesn't, repeat and retry (it's a bit temperamental!)

[*]WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'

[*]MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'

[*]LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

[*]That's it, you're done!

Recovery images

About

The custom recovery allows you to do all sorts of lovely things such as installing ROM update zips (for custom ROMs), wiping various parts of the device, backing up, restoring and much more.

Download

[*]Koush's recovery 1.8.1.7 repack for 1.6 devices - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 630de302aeae3beaf8c6abe26762ed95

[*]Stock recovery (as shipped with build 4300) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 1211852b3cea6f3610931f99d477ff5e

How to install

[*]Download the recovery image zip file above and extract to a directory

[*]Put your device in bootloader mode - Unplug the device from your PC, remove the device battery, then replace it and turn device on with the camera button pressed. Select the 'fastboot' text on the top right, wait around 10 seconds then plug the device into your PC. The screen display should change to 'FASTBOOT MODE'. If it doesn't, repeat and retry (it's a bit temperamental!)

[*]WINDOWS - double click 'install-recovery-windows.bat'

[*]MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-mac.sh' followed by './install-recovery-mac.sh'

[*]LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-linux.sh' followed by './install-recovery-linux.sh'

[*]That's it, you're done!

To enter recovery mode, turn your device on with 'volume down' and 'volume up' both pressed.

Guest spyou

Fantastic, looks to work fine here. I just had to run the installer script as a superuser on my linux box, running it as a normal user would made the streak detection failing.

Does anyone know if we can update to android 2.1 or 2.2 right now? if yes, is there a tutorial somewhere?

Guest courtlandre

It doesnt wipe the phone, installing a new rom (which there are none yet) would wipe it. Unless you know what you are doing, there really isnt much reason to root your phone yet. Once Paul works his magic on some custom roms, then you will want to root. This explains what rooting is and the benefits.

Edited by courtlandre

Guest snpg

I can't get it to work. I boot the device, choose Fastboot, the screen changes and says 'Wait for USB FastBoot detect...', I plug it into my PC, it then fails to install the device. Device Manager shows it as 'Android 1.0' and says the driver for this device is not installed.

Not sure what to do, I've never had this issue when rooting Android phones before.

Can anyone help?

Update: DONE IT - YEAH! I went into Device Manager, right click the device and choose 'Update Driver Software', then choose 'Browse my computer for driver software', then click 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. A list of categories should appear, choose 'Android Phone'. Another list will appear, choose 'Android FastBoot'. The Streak should now show 'FastBoot'.

Edited by snpg

Guest IceWind87

Ive done the aformentiond and the devise has confirmed it was recived but when I click on superuser it just sits there and does nothing.

Edited by IceWind87

Guest spyou

You need to have an app that request superuser right to see it in action.

Buy root explorer form the market for example and you'll have it pop up.

Guest Warpedflash
I can't get it to work. I boot the device, choose Fastboot, the screen changes and says 'Wait for USB FastBoot detect...', I plug it into my PC, it then fails to install the device. Device Manager shows it as 'Android 1.0' and says the driver for this device is not installed.

Not sure what to do, I've never had this issue when rooting Android phones before.

Can anyone help?

Update: DONE IT - YEAH! I went into Device Manager, right click the device and choose 'Update Driver Software', then choose 'Browse my computer for driver software', then click 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. A list of categories should appear, choose 'Android Phone'. Another list will appear, choose 'Android FastBoot'. The Streak should now show 'FastBoot'.

I cant install the driver for mine :)

When I try to install it I dont get the Android FastBoot option. I only get Android ADB Interface, Android Bootloader Interface or Android Composite ADB Interface?

can I use one of these?

Guest Andy Garton

When following the above instructions on a Mac I get an error, but also some apparent success (!) - is this ok?

./install-recovery-mac.sh

ERROR: could not get pipe properties

sending 'recovery' (3034 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... OKAY

... the device then stayed at the "Download RECOVERY Done!" stage.

Guest gingernator

Hi Paul,

Firstly, thanks for all your hard work, I've lurked in the shadows of these forums for quite a while now but this is my first post. When I'm trying to install the recovery and root images on ubuntu and fastboot mode is showing on my streak, the terminal just says 'waiting for device'.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Guest knightpants

Have you rebooted the streak into fastboot first before trying to apply the images?

I'm in ubuntu lucid x64 and everything working fine, however ADB not working for me, I believe this is a USB driver error... as I get the error "error: closed" whenever I run an ADB command, only command working is "adb devices" where it lists the device, but that's it.... :)