19/Aug - Streak 1.6 downloads / how-tos (ROM / Superboot / Recovery)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest JimiB

ok... that didn't work!

I bit the bullet and just unplugged the streak, had to remove the battery to power it down from flashboot_mode and rebooted it. it all loads ok but i don't have root access...

any ideas how or why this might have gone wrong?

I'm going to try again, just wondering if anyone has any clue?

cheers,

-jimi

Update: it seems to have worked the second time, gave me a really quick transfer, the device stated boot loaded (or something similar) and rebooted. However, I tried enabling root mode on 'OSMonitor' and it doesn't work... so I don't know if it's ok.

Edited by JimiB

Guest 80sLoveCHILD

im trying this root thing using a mac g5. i get to the terminal part and i get

cannot execute binary file

what do i do with that? can anyone help

by the way im totally new to this.....not even sure why im doin it. haha

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all,

OK so i have had my Streak for 3 weeks now and set it up to my satisfaction so felt it was time to Root it and see what else i could get up to i have installed the Dell PC Suite and the Android SDK so that i could take screen shots and they both work and recognise my Streak.

However when trying to connect to it in fastboot it doesn't see my Streak and sometimes won't show even in the device manager when it does show I'm unable to find the drivers that it says are missing. Maybe I', missing something really simple as have tried everything I've seen across the threads so far with no success and advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm stuck and out of ideas.

Marc

Guest craigdabbs
Hi all,

OK so i have had my Streak for 3 weeks now and set it up to my satisfaction so felt it was time to Root it and see what else i could get up to i have installed the Dell PC Suite and the Android SDK so that i could take screen shots and they both work and recognise my Streak.

However when trying to connect to it in fastboot it doesn't see my Streak and sometimes won't show even in the device manager when it does show I'm unable to find the drivers that it says are missing. Maybe I', missing something really simple as have tried everything I've seen across the threads so far with no success and advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm stuck and out of ideas.

Marc

go into device manager and click on update driver for your phone, browse computer dor driver, let me pick from a list, i cant remenber what i selected after that. its a choice out of 3 tho :lol:

Guest Dogmann55

Hi craigdabbs

Thanks for that but i have already tried that and it doesn't give me anything to choose form just the browse option and then i have to try a location i have looked where the driver is when it's connected in Dell PcSuite and shows as an a Android phone which was C:/ system but it doesn't find the driver. I've tried just C:/ and also the Android SDK usually I'm quite good at flashing and changing things as have been on all my previous smart phones and devices but so far Android has me stumped. Which is why i have resorted to needing to ask in case I've missed something simple here is what i have done maybe someone can spot the error of my ways.

Am i meant to be in USB Debugging Mode? before connecting to the PC?

Am i then meant to disconnect the Streak from the PC and remove the battery and then restart holding power and camera buttons?

As i then see the Fastboot top right corner click that Wait 10 seconds reconnect the Streak to the PC and that's as far as it gets.

Oh and thanks for your help so far by the way i can get it to start in recovery mode as i tried it once to make sure i could..

The only other thing i can think of is that i have installed ISyncR on my Streak and it means when i plug it into my computer i get an ISyncR connection to browse the files and folders could this be mucking it up some how?

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all,

OK no idea what was going on but i removed the Dell PC Suite and then reinstalled and it made no difference i was still getting exactly the same results then after a few attempts i suddenly got the drop down list and i was able to choose Android Bootloader so job now done. I was getting really close to doing a full factory reset as refuse to be defeated thankfully now it's all good.

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55

Guest plink212

any chance of linking the stock recovery as I may be needing to return mine due to a fault and I would prefer to not give them a reason to say no

Tim

Guest the_didge

Another solution if you still cant find the drivers :

Go to device manager

Right click Android 1.0

Select Update Driver Software

Select Browse my computer.....

Select Let me pick

Select All Hardware

Scroll down to Google INC

Select Bootloader

And youre good to go

Guest Magxs
BTW, I DO have a backup of the stock recovery in case there is a need to revert at any time.

P

Hi Paul,

I would need that stock recovery. Could you post that please? I can't get the custom ROMs to run and also have problems with rooted stock ROMs you have posted. No idea what's going on. I want to try flashing the new .pkg 4399 build from Dell. As far as I understand it, this is only possible with stock recovery.

On the stock ROMs (both, the 3883 and 4399) the contacts app is crashing, which also prevents contacts from syncing.

Many thanks

Magxs

Guest vinokirk

What does Koushs custom recovery image do?

After installing it, will I see any difference on my device, or is it something that runs in the background/stored on device till needed?

Guest courtlandre
What does Koushs custom recovery image do?

After installing it, will I see any difference on my device, or is it something that runs in the background/stored on device till needed?

Read the first post.

Guest vinokirk
Read the first post.

Read the first post?...ohhh thats the mistake i was making! D'oh!

The first post does not answer my Q:

Edited by vinokirk

Guest vinokirk

Cant get my drivers to work either. Do we have to download "Android Bootloader Interface" drivers from somewhere? If not themn where do we find them?

Guest Magxs

I continue to have problems with both of these builds and I hope someone can help me.

I tried flashing Paul's custom ROM from the kitchen, which doesn't boot for me. No idea why - but that's another story. Before flashing the ROM, I installed the custom recovery image and I did not root my device. Or is rooting necessary before flashing a new ROM?

So, I was trying to go back to back to the stock ROM and I tried both builds, the 3883 and 4399. With both, the same thing happens. They install and boot fine. Everything seems to be working as normal, until I go to the market and sign in to my Google account. The problems unfold as follows:

- Upon entering my login details in the Market, it is verifying my account and I then get the message that some background task has crashed. This brings me back to the login screen in the Market and it appears as if my login has not worked. But it has. It is starting to download e-mails.

- If I close the Market by going to the home screen and then go to the Market again, it works fine and I can download and install applications, including the ones I have purchased.

- Looking at the data sync with Google, it shows e-mails and calendar syncing fine, but for Contacts is says "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly". But of course it isn't back shortly.

- Launching the Contact app produces a crash (process com.dell.addressbook has stopped working).

There are two things I find strange about this:

(1) Is the contacts app a Dell application, not native Android? Can this cause my problem?

(2) I have exactly the same thing happen on both builds. Could I have messed up something that is so deep in the system that is survives complete wipes and ROM flashes?

Btw, I have done complete wipes and factory resets before flashing each ROM.

One thing I still want to try is to flash the original 4399 build from the Dell website. But because it is a *.pkg file, I can't flash it with having the custom recovery installed. Unfortunately, Paul hasn't posted the original recovery yet, of which he says he has a backup.

I would be most grateful for any comments or ideas.

Many thanks

Magxs

Guest wojtas29

hi

i have too "the custom recovery installed"

and i have problem with my device, must give him to service.

i need to remove " the custom recovery installed" and root. how can i do this?

please help me.

Guest snpg
I continue to have problems with both of these builds and I hope someone can help me.

I tried flashing Paul's custom ROM from the kitchen, which doesn't boot for me. No idea why - but that's another story. Before flashing the ROM, I installed the custom recovery image and I did not root my device. Or is rooting necessary before flashing a new ROM?

So, I was trying to go back to back to the stock ROM and I tried both builds, the 3883 and 4399. With both, the same thing happens. They install and boot fine. Everything seems to be working as normal, until I go to the market and sign in to my Google account. The problems unfold as follows:

- Upon entering my login details in the Market, it is verifying my account and I then get the message that some background task has crashed. This brings me back to the login screen in the Market and it appears as if my login has not worked. But it has. It is starting to download e-mails.

- If I close the Market by going to the home screen and then go to the Market again, it works fine and I can download and install applications, including the ones I have purchased.

- Looking at the data sync with Google, it shows e-mails and calendar syncing fine, but for Contacts is says "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly". But of course it isn't back shortly.

- Launching the Contact app produces a crash (process com.dell.addressbook has stopped working).

There are two things I find strange about this:

(1) Is the contacts app a Dell application, not native Android? Can this cause my problem?

(2) I have exactly the same thing happen on both builds. Could I have messed up something that is so deep in the system that is survives complete wipes and ROM flashes?

Btw, I have done complete wipes and factory resets before flashing each ROM.

One thing I still want to try is to flash the original 4399 build from the Dell website. But because it is a *.pkg file, I can't flash it with having the custom recovery installed. Unfortunately, Paul hasn't posted the original recovery yet, of which he says he has a backup.

I would be most grateful for any comments or ideas.

Many thanks

Magxs

Check out forum post 'The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly., Just after flashing MoDaCo ROM', on the second page go to post #21 and follow the instructions. This worked for me. He mentions 'Fastboot' (written as Fastbot), it is a .exe program which is in the 'tools' menu of the Android SDK (if you don't have it go to: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html - you'll have to download and install it which can take a while).

He mentioned dragging the Fastboot.exe into the Command Prompt window, this didn't work for me so you may have to manual navigate to it in the command window.

Guest The Jones
recovery screen appears, below the normal options i have

E:Cant find MISC

ClockworkMod Recovery v1.8.1.7

Assume this is ok?

I am getting the same and I cannot seem to select any options. I can navigate the options using the volume key, but pressing the camera button does nothing and the power button just switches the screen off.

Anyone have any advise?

Guest popetodd
Read the first post?...ohhh thats the mistake i was making! D'oh!

The first post does not answer my Q:

Your not going to notice it unless you go to the maintenance screen by holding down the volume buttons.

It allows you to backup the ROM and install new custom ROM's from your SD card.

Edited by popetodd

Guest battletank

New one from Koush's site (2.0.2.0) doesn't work for me. Flashed it fine, but it hangs when installing update.zip.

Further to this - the IMG file is half the size of the previous one, and I see no 'Update.zip' on my SDCard, so I'm going to hazard a guess that this IMG file doesn't contain everything that Paul's one does.

Guest The Jones
New one from Koush's site (2.0.2.0) doesn't work for me. Flashed it fine, but it hangs when installing update.zip.

Further to this - the IMG file is half the size of the previous one, and I see no 'Update.zip' on my SDCard, so I'm going to hazard a guess that this IMG file doesn't contain everything that Paul's one does.

I can't even get to the custom recovery with that version. It just sits there doing nothing....