[ROM] FLB-Mod 1 (Based on Android 2.1)

Guest Simon O

Apologies for noob-ness but I'm trying to work out how to go from 1.4.1 to 1.5 without wiping everything (only just finished putting everything on from 1.1 to 1.4.1 update!)

When you say I only need to flash the boot.img, does that mean I extract it from the zip I downloaded (FLB-Mod v1.5 with ADW.Launcher 1.1.3) or do I flash the whole zip file? If it's the latter, I can do that but how do you flash just the boot.img file?

Thanks for any help!

You can flash this zip

"Kernel with no memory management tweaks and no launcher 'keep in ram' tweak:

Download: flb-default.zip (2.36 MB)

and then ADW 1.13.

After I installed everything I use, all widgets active and so on ... 45MB/80MB

(which is still 15MB more than I had on FLB1.2TRE with exactly the same setup)

Do you run autokiller or an another app like autokiller?

Guest thedarkduke

1.5 FLB instal fails ;(

Copying files...

minzip: Extracted file "/data/a2sd/placeholder"

minzip: Extracted file "/data/app/com.fancywidget.android.apk"

minzip: Extracted file "/data/app/com.fede.launcher.apk"

minzip: Extracted file "/data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps.apk"

minzip: Extracted file "/data/app/com.google.android.voicesearch.x.apk"

minzip: Extracted file "/data/app/com.koushikdutta.rommanager.apk"

minzip: Extracted file "/data/app/com.metago.astro.apk"

minzip: Extracted file "/data/app/com.noshufou.android.su.apk"

minzip: Extracted file "/data/app/com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus.apk"

minzip: Extracted file "/data/app/com.siriusapplications.quickboot.apk"

minzip: Extracted file "/data/app/jp.co.c_lis.ccl.morelocale.apk"

minzip: Extracted file "/data/app/net.szym.barnacle.apk"

minzip: Can't create containing directory for "/data/dalvik-cache/placeholder": File exists

W:Command copy_dir: couldn't extract "PACKAGE:data" to "DATA:"

E:Failure at line 5:

copy_dir PACKAGE:data DATA:

Installation aborted.

Running 1.41 and did no wipe.

What to do, wanna check the new ROM

Guest MuhaJR

ADW 1.1.3 is SOOOOOOOO good! Settings are almost the same, but setting "catalogs" inside app drawer is awesome! Who needs any other organiser anymore?!?!?! And it's fast AND stable....

Guest JaffoCake
You can flash this zip

and then ADW 1.13.

Sorted - Many thanks!

ADW is a bit fiddly to configure but I'll give it a try (was using LauncherPro)

Guest rulerofkaos

I just flashed the boot.img over my FLB 1.4.1 and it's working great, i have more free ram now. I think ADW and LauncherPro aren't so good, the android stock launcher has a way better performance...

Guest rulerofkaos
I got the same "failure at line 5" message as well.

Flibble said we only need to flash the boot.img if we are on 1.4.1 so just take the boot.img out of the rom and create a .bat file with the content:

fastboot-windows.exe flash boot boot.img

in the same folder, then put phone to fastboot mode and run .bat

boot.img

Edited by rulerofkaos

Guest Totyasrác
After I installed everything I use, all widgets active and so on ... 45MB/80MB

(which is still 15MB more than I had on FLB1.2TRE with exactly the same setup)

45MB/80MB looks like SysMonitor app's "internal memory" instead of RAM.

I guess we'll NEVER be able to have more than 40MBs of free ram on any 2.1 based ROMs (even with killing some unnecessary sys apps).

So could you please confirm how much free RAM do you have?

(Settings/Applications/Running apps -> botton line (look for something like Avail: 12MB+0.00kB -2 Other: 15MB -3)

This two add up to 27MBs which equals to SysMonitor's measurement of 26MBs of free RAM.

Edited by Totyasrác

Guest Simon O
I understand it in a different way... He might have been thinkin' about these?

Kernel with launcher 'keep in ram' tweak only:

Download: flb-home_tweak.zip (2.36 MB)

SFP Fix (needed by some people):

Download: flbmod_v1.4.1sfp.zip (291 KB)"

Flib mate?

Good point. I've edited the post to make it more clear.

If you download flb-default.zip and flash it, it will remove the memory tweaks. Flash ADW launcher and you'll basically have FLB 1.5

Guest Simon O
quote name='fredewis' date='Aug 25 2010, 09:59' post='1386108']

just downloaded it

:huh: got a masive fail lol aborted on line 5 clock work is confusing for me think will go back to amonrar simple n effective.

I've been seeing this a couple of times and I think this is related to A2SD. Line 5 of the installer is "copy_dir PACKAGE:data DATA:" so something on the system is preventing this from happening.

I'll try and find a way to fix this for good. In the meantime you only need to update the boot image and launcher to update 1.4.1 to 1.5

Guest chorus

First post from a long time lurker:

First of all, thanks for all the work you (in my case especially Flibblesan) are doing here. It sure makes the Android community a much richer one.

I´ve been on the flb beta 3 for quite a while now, haven´t paid much attention to the updates since I´m pretty satisfied with the way it makes my phone tick, but looking through a few of the pages here it seems worth while updating again...

My question is; what do I need to do to get the most out of it? I´ve updated using the HU 2.1, Amon Ra and then flb Beta 3. Do I need to flash the swedish Tre rom, or could I just flash flb 1.5 over the current one?

Guest Simon O

If you have an error installing the update regarding "line 5" then this is the part which copies files to the data partition. In most cases this means you may need to wipe.

I will upload a rom which will update between 1.4.1 and 1.5 without touching the data partition. This will mean that apps installed will not be updated.

Guest Simon O
2. I can't connect to an eduroam eap network, I can set a "keyring" password and input it, but after that is done com.android.settings FC's and I can't input the login details for the network.

Yes, it's another known issue with Android 2.1 on our phones. It's a bug which affects WiFi points using WPA2 Enterprise encryption (known as 802.11x)

The crashes affect all 2.1 roms on the Pulse so it's not something I can easily fix myself. But you may be able to get around this by setting the wifi manually using http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...prise-on-pulse/

Updated from 1.2tre to 1.5

Must admit, it's way faster (got some FCs at the begining while installing the apps I had, but it's great now). Tnx a lot!

Keep the great work!

Guest Simon O

FLB-Mod 1.4.1 - 1.5 wipe-free update uploaded and posted to the first page

Download

This will not touch the data partition at all. You may be able to update from an older version of FLB. If you do this then you will almost definitely need to flash the updated Superuser app or install this from the Android Market.

Also my first post here.. I am not good in all that "software things" but i finally learned how to install ROM on myself.. :huh:

And i am doing it(alone) for last two versions.. This version 1.4.1 was definitely the best and I really like how the phone works with it (best till now).. But I will download this new version and try it (right now)..

Anyway THANK YOU very much for all your work and providing us with new things so we can have more fan and experiment with our phones..

Thanks and please keep going.. ;)

Guest fredewis

Download

This will not touch the data partition at all. You may be able to update from an older version of FLB. If you do this then you will almost definitely need to flash the updated Superuser app or install this from the Android Market.

thankx mate you are a hero :huh: wat was that about the installing apps

Edited by fredewis

Guest Rizzly
Do you have the same problems with the stock 2.1 ROM from T-Mobile?

I have for problem one and it's not present there, not tested on bug 2.

Edited by Rizzly

Guest thedarkduke

Download

THX for that, works great.

Installed about 40 Apps, Davlik on Phone and still 20 MB Free

Perhaps u can do an Update File for us LP Users.

Edited by thedarkduke

Guest meinnit

I'm on FLB 1.2 at the moment and I thought I'd share my RAM usage after 24 hours uptime. I have killed all processes except Android, keyboard and OS Monitor and currently have approx (31,952KB) 32MB RAM free. RAM usage for each process is as follows:

system_server 34M

Smart Keyboard 18M

com.android.phone 22M

android.process.acore 27M

com.google.process.gapps 21M

OSMonitor 22M

Would be good to see what other people are getting on FLB 1.5 as a comparison :huh:

Edited by meinnit

Guest Simon O
I have for problem one and it's not present there, not tested on bug 2.

I've tested adding an APN and whilst it's not showing up in the settings page, it has added it to the apns xml file. This file already contains most APN settings for most operators so you should have working 3G. What network are you trying to add?

Guest Simon O
Perhaps u can do an Update File for us LP Users.

No point really as LauncherPro can be installed from the Android Market and there isn't a system version available.

The current market version of LauncherPro is 0.7.6.0 which was released after I released 1.4.1. If you've already installed this update then that will have been installed to /data/app which the non-wipe update ignores.

So 1.4.1 LauncherPro users can just update to 1.5 using the non-wipe update. As long as you set LauncherPro to be your default launcher then it won't matter about ADW being there.

Edited by flibblesan

Guest thedarkduke
So 1.4.1 LauncherPro users can just update to 1.5 using the non-wipe update. As long as you set LauncherPro to be your default launcher then it won't matter about ADW being there.

THX for the Info