30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul
I'm pleased to present my Android 2.1 based MoDaCo Custom ROM for the GSM HTC Hero! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. :)

This is a sneak preview of the base that i'll be using for the full MCR release... to give you all a chance to play, tweak, test, comment etc. etc. :)

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs - either shipping or leaked. A MCR release is designed to feel as far as possible like a stock ROM, with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM on your device, you must have a custom recovery image installed. You can read more about how to install a CRI on your device in this topic.

Features Included
  • Based on the Euro 2.1 release
  • Rooted with Superuser 2.1 by ChainsDD
  • Built with the latest version of MCR build process which reduces the size and boosts the speed of the ROM
  • STOCK KERNEL
  • Rooted boot image with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK
  • busybox with Droid Explorer support
  • terminfo and settings in boot.img to allow nano etc. use
  • System dalvik-cache moved to /cache partition (cachedalvikcache)
  • MCR version displayed in 'About' screen
  • Added Click-Drag rearrange to Rosie / Sense
  • Added Voice Dialer
  • Added Voice Search with optional standard android keyboard
  • Updated Google Maps
  • Optional dropbear (SSH server, username 'root, port 2222, password displayed in 'About' screen)
  • Optional A2SD and A2SD+ (old style) via the online kitchen
  • Optional baked in Wavesecure via the online kitchen (installed to system partition for maximum security)
  • Optional WiFi Status indicator
  • Completely de-odexed for theming and optimal customisability

Please see 2 posts below this one for the changes in each release.

Installation

To install this ROM:
    • Ensure you have a custom recovery image installed (see 'requirements' above)
    • Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card
    • Restart your device in recovery mode (power on with the home button pressed)
    • PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU
    • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card

Note: As this is a non-odexed build, the first boot will take a while. :) After you have completed your initial setup, I recommend rebooting to allow the cachedalvikcache script to free up space on /data.

Upgrading

No wipe is explicitly required in order to use this ROM, however if you do encounter issues of any kind, it is recommended that you wipe your device and reproduce the issue before raising it here.

Downloads

An online kitchen is available in the post below.

[*]r5 with additions -

DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 44b417bfe25351c68a60912469a5ece9 [*]r5 with additions with radio image - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: c1796fe810bb27582738520907f050ab [*]r5 without additions - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 320dff59f73dba0f9cbb75c8c9cc82e4

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

And finally...

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta ROM releases and access to the the online kitchens.

Enjoy! :)

P

Guest Paul

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Guest Paul

Changelog

r5

• Now based on the official Hero release
    • Fixed problem with the Music player (thanks to the VillainROM guys for the assistance)
    • Other minor tweaks

• Fixed problem with cachedalvikcache causing FC and missing A2SD directory
      • r4

[*]Initial release

Guest goatee

Works great for me :). Not noticed any improvement over the vanilla Chungwa ROM, but it's only been a few minutes :).

Thanks Paul!

Edited by goatee

Guest wimbo

Testing now, Thanks Paul :)

Can't flash it over MCR 3.2, Sense and BG keep FC'ing.

Doing a wipe now, see if that helps.

update:

Wipe solved most of my issues.

Only the Music app/widget gives FC.

Edited by wimbo

So can I just apply this update over MCR 3.2?

Do I really need to update the radio of my device?

Definitely "yes" to the first (but perform a nandroid backup), and I understand that it is also "yes" to the second.

/TBX

Guest phillevy
Definitely "yes" to the first (but perform a nandroid backup), and I understand that it is also "yes" to the second.

/TBX

If you are locked on Orange I definately would not update your radio as there are many cases of people having problems!

Guest buttonsandzips
If you are locked on Orange I definately would not update your radio as there are many cases of people having problems!

You could give it a try as you can always flash back to your old radio. I have a locked Orange handset and the radio flashed fine and does work but I did find it quite unreliable for data. Downloads would stop halfway through, web pages wouldn't load completely. Calls fine though. I went back to the last radio version and it is fine with these 2.1 ROMs

Guest IAmGeef

After a wipe, and using non-A2SD, I'm getting google.process.gapps is not responding..

*** After a reboot, the error hasn't reappeared....yet

Edited by IAmGeef

Guest PJBonoVox
You could give it a try as you can always flash back to your old radio. I have a locked Orange handset and the radio flashed fine and does work but I did find it quite unreliable for data. Downloads would stop halfway through, web pages wouldn't load completely. Calls fine though. I went back to the last radio version and it is fine with these 2.1 ROMs

I'll second that. I've unlocked my Hero (originally Orange) and the data performance and general signal level with the new radio was noticeably worse, so I also went back to the JU one.

Edited by PJBonoVox

Guest PhilUK

I'm on the standard 2.1 release from the kitchen, without sense and running LauncherPRO.

I get a FC on Rosie.utility and google.bgp when restarting.

FC on settings when trying to change lock wallpaper.

FC on trying to connect to PC.

But everything works fine, I use recovery to mount the sdcard for PC, if needed.

Will this rom be better without sense?

Phil.

Guest sambartle

I flashed the new radio and got the network locked error (my phone was still locked at this point).. so i just bought a code and unlocked it.. which worked perfectly..

Flashing back the radio would have worked too im sure.. but I like shiny new things.

So even if you do get stuck on the new radio for some reason.. as long as you also have something other than an orange rom on you can use a normal hero code at the worst. (if you have an orange rom on you cant buy a code as they dont work as orange have tweaked the algorithm - youd need to get it from the network themselves.)

Edited by sambartle

Guest sambartle
I'll second that. I've unlocked my Hero (originally Orange) and the data performance and general signal level with the new radio was noticeably worse, so I also went back to the JU one.

I actually find it better in one situation (at work) where it was previously terrible... But everywhere else the old one ifs better..

Ive stuck with the new though as it at least gets a signal at work where others dont. The compromise is worth it for me.

Guest mifran
how do I update radio after flashing?

download the radio update.zip to your sdcard then do the same as you did for the rom

mifran

Guest okdac

Hi there (again)

I won't repeat it (but actually will) : Paul, thx for all the job done...

Yet, after a full wipe, none a2sd install, FC on "The Application Music (process.com.htc.music) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" as I try to launch Music (whether android or htc...)

That's all for the moment. Will run some further test and report back.

okdac

As others have mentioned, it seems that for most the new radio only works on orange if you unlock your handset. I had to buy an unlock code to test the new radio, but I dont regret it as I am getting far better reception and the problem I was experiencing with calls going to voicemail even though I had full signal has gone. I am also seeing better data reception as well, 3G and H all the way! Cant wait for the kitchen to be opened. Thanks again Paul.