30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Lack of ext4 is due to this version not having the custom kernel.

Does journalling actually make any difference? I would have thought that sticking with ext2 would be better for apps2sd for the same reason I stick to ext2 for my boot partitions, it makes it rock solid and journalling isn't needed as there are limited writes to the partition. I am new to the android platform, however, and am ready to be corrected on this :)

Guest PhilUK

Downloaded a kitchen build without sense and a2sd, re-signed after deleting widgets and adding apks. Wiped dalvik only. Flashed over previous standard 2.1 kitchen build, works fine keeping all my data.

Cool, thanks Paul.

Guest Vido.Ardes

Awesome, got a Senseless build from the kitchen, stripped down to the bare essentials and pushed LauncherPro (which is unbelievably slick & massively customisable by the way) and it works perfectly. A request for a future kitchen feature would be the ability to add in livewallpaperpicker.apk and the libs so we can use the live wallpapers on alternative launchers

Guest Dan Mullen
Does journalling actually make any difference? I would have thought that sticking with ext2 would be better for apps2sd for the same reason I stick to ext2 for my boot partitions, it makes it rock solid and journalling isn't needed as there are limited writes to the partition. I am new to the android platform, however, and am ready to be corrected on this :)

I agree - ext2 is probably the better option.

Guest Paul

I've played with Live Wallpapers, but they run like a dog... (a blind one with 3 legs), so i'm not sure it's worth including...?

P

Guest venturerider
I've played with Live Wallpapers, but they run like a dog... (a blind one with 3 legs), so i'm not sure it's worth including...?

No.

Guest Dan Mullen

P

Is that while running Sense? I know other ROMs have had problems with Live Wallpapers + Sense.

can someone summarize a few reasons for A2SD?

Just more free memory on the system or other pros?`

What about speed, should apps from memory not load faster than from sd?

What, if a system (like Acer Stream) has an additional 2GB internal memory, would it still make sense to have A2SD?

Guest klutsh
And why the VillainROM 10 allow overclock?

Not wanting to sound bad here, but honestly VillainROM 10 needs the overclock.

I tried the ROM and was quite surprised to see picassa in the sync options, as far as I know it's not in the GSM ROM they based it on.

After a month with messing with Custom ROM's I've found it best to stay as close to stock as possible, like MoDaCo's ROM's are.

Guest Devchef1

Paul

You say "Note: As this is a non-odexed build, the first boot will take a while. smile.gif"

How long is a while ? my Tmobile G2 has been sat for 10+ mins on the G2 Boot screen ??

Devchef1

What, if a system (like Acer Stream) has an additional 2GB internal memory, would it still make sense to have A2SD?

I use it mainly for the fact that I like to hard apps and ran out of space on the handset, I havent noticed any difference in speed. With 2GB internal memory I wouldn't need A2SD but you would need to check that the extra memory is not being used in place of an sd card like the old htc's used to, in that case you may still need A2SD.

Guest sik_gerar
I'm pleased to present a WIP (work in progress) pre-release of my next Android 2.1 [...]

Enjoy! :)

P

I see now why you would shower :) hoping to see the final release :)

good work paul!

Guest fsanzl

With my class 6 I hardly feel any difference. If I had 2GB internal memory I wouldn't bother to use a2sd, though.

Guest onetruecathal

Just baked a ROM, will test it tonight. Hope the new Radio has some effect on the awful network dropouts the Hero suffers with some networks? Anyone here with that problem see an improvement?

I'm on the Meteor network in Ireland and I occasionally lose all connectivity (it claims a SIM error) when the handover from 3G/HSPA to 2G screws up. It's a mix of network fail and phone fail. I've been awaiting a new Radio.

Hope this new ROM works nicely, thanks Paul! I've been using the old MCR for a while now and I'm a loyal convert! :)

Guest Lenslarque

Hi Paul,

I couple of month ago you said that the site would support tapatalk.

Is this still in the pipeline or coming soon?

Guest TheAdmiralCS

Anyone else getting a loop on the HTC quietly Brilliant screen? That status bar appears but then when it gets about 1/4 the way across it goes into a loop, just reloading the QB screen.

Weird.

redownloaded the Kitchen ROM too and reinstalled with a full wipe of everything twice. Will leave it for a bit now but not looking hopeful...

Guest patts

Soooooo to use a2sd first partition must be FAT? When useing RA Recovery 1.6? You don't seem to have the option to set first partition as FAT?! I've done this, first set 0 on Swap (No Swap) and then 512Mb to Ext2 and rest as FAT. Will this work 4 me?

EDIT : Boot-loop :)

Edited by patts

Guest kd0t
Now the kitchen is up, it's a lot easier for me to update / improve stuff (altho changes will only be in the kitchen rather than prebakes until non WIP release). :)

P

So non-donators wont get any more updates. Any rough ETA on the main release?

Guest dalim
Anyone else getting a loop on the HTC quietly Brilliant screen? That status bar appears but then when it gets about 1/4 the way across it goes into a loop, just reloading the QB screen.

Weird.

redownloaded the Kitchen ROM too and reinstalled with a full wipe of everything twice. Will leave it for a bit now but not looking hopeful...

had the same problem. was using app2sd version.

working now, did a wipe first then used the non-app2sd version

Guest Dan Mullen
Soooooo to use a2sd first partition must be FAT? When useing RA Recovery 1.6? You don't seem to have the option to set first partition as FAT?! I've done this, first set 0 on Swap (No Swap) and then 512Mb to Ext2 and rest as FAT. Will this work 4 me?

EDIT : Boot-loop :)

The partitioner in Amon-RA will set your card up fine for use with A2SD.

Guest Dan Mullen
So non-donators wont get any more updates. Any rough ETA on the main release?

I think this was always the case - donators will get early access to betas as a thank you, everyone else will get free access to final releases.

As this is a WIP, it's not even at beta yet!