How to root your LG GT540

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest TheLostSwede

This doesn't seem to work with the 10D_00 firmware, I get the Ok message, but the apps that requires Root says they can't access SU... ;)

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here... I thought it was just a matter of enabling Root and it would all work, but alas...

For whatever reason it now seems like the system/bin/su directory is missing...

Ok, figured it out, had to do adb remount and it's ok again.

Edited by TheLostSwede

Guest TheLostSwede
Drop it on the SD card, download Apps Installer from the market, start Apps Installer, install the superuser app.

Sorry, my bad, in case of that I used the superuser whitelist from here http://www.lg-phones.org/how-to-root-lg-eve-gw620.html but it requires that you download the android sdk as well, as you need the adb tool to install it. I just dropped the whitelist files in to the /tools/ directory and ran the supplied batch installer.

Edited by TheLostSwede

Guest Ixirim
Sorry, my bad, in case of that I used the superuser whitelist from here http://www.lg-phones.org/how-to-root-lg-eve-gw620.html but it requires that you download the android sdk as well, as you need the adb tool to install it. I just dropped the whitelist files in to the /tools/ directory and ran the supplied batch installer.

Alright I'lll try that. Was just about to ask why I still couldn't install the apps that require root.

Guest TheLostSwede

If you can't install the whitelist app, then you have to make the flash memory in the phone writeable by starting ADB in a command shell and type adb remount and you should be able to install the whitelist app no problem. Not sure how to install Superuser 2.1 though...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kemal_ob

i've done all the steps for rooting and the ok pop up after i entered the password. but how come i cannot use any program that require superuser.

and also i noticed that after entering password in module test it was instructed to perform a reboot, how do we reboot our phone? do turning off and on again are enough?

Guest TheLostSwede
i've done all the steps for rooting and the ok pop up after i entered the password. but how come i cannot use any program that require superuser.

and also i noticed that after entering password in module test it was instructed to perform a reboot, how do we reboot our phone? do turning off and on again are enough?

First you need to install the Android SDK, run the adb remount command in the tools directory, then you need to find a whitelist app such as this one http://koushikdutta.blurryfox.com/Superuser/Superuser.zip and then install that to make it all work. The whitelist app needs to be located in the same directory as adb.exe or it won't install.

Guest kemal_ob
First you need to install the Android SDK, run the adb remount command in the tools directory, then you need to find a whitelist app such as this one http://koushikdutta.blurryfox.com/Superuser/Superuser.zip and then install that to make it all work. The whitelist app needs to be located in the same directory as adb.exe or it won't install.

oke thanks...will try it as soon as possible :angry:

Guest hamster man

hi guna sound like a right noob thing u could do a video doing it lol im a bit new to android and adb trying to get it working gave me a head ack lol

Guest TheLostSwede

Eh? You're taking the piss mate, I've spelled it all out in easy to follow steps, so no, I'm not doing no video on how to do it.

Guest awarner

TheLostSwede not everyone, especially new users can grasp what they need to do and trying to follow instructions in a forum can get confusing.

No need to insult the guy just a simple no to the video request would do.

Guest hamster man

lol sorry anything else yeah im ok this is a bit hard coz theres not a special software that helps with it plus i dont wont to badword it up

Guest TheLostSwede

You need to install the LG USB drivers or the phone won't connect to the PC. Download and install the data suite and modem drivers and you're good to go.

Guest Ev1lM0nk3y
You need to install the LG USB drivers or the phone won't connect to the PC. Download and install the data suite and modem drivers and you're good to go.

Did that already m8, well the usb drivers and other driver but not the PC suite as it is not on the LG download section for this phone.

Edited by Ev1lM0nk3y

Guest TheLostSwede
Did that already m8, well the usb drivers and other driver but not the PC suite as it is not on the LG download section for this phone.

So, does the phone connect to your system after you've installed the drivers? You also need to put the phone in USB debugging mode, otherwise you can't connect with adb.

Guest Ev1lM0nk3y
So, does the phone connect to your system after you've installed the drivers? You also need to put the phone in USB debugging mode, otherwise you can't connect with adb.

Yes i can now use adb, and ran the install.bat in the superuser.zip but when i start the app on the phone it says "the whitelist is currently empty"

Guest terminator99
Want to root your LG GT540?

Here's how! :(

The LG GT540 root is interesting in that it's very similar but not the same as the LG GW620 root, detailed here on XDA developers. For the GT540, LG introduced an additional level of security in the engineering application. It didn't really work out so well. :P

To enable Superuser access (root) on your GT540:

- Turn on the device and click the icon to open the phone dialler

- Enter the code '3845#*540#'

- Select the option 'Module Test', then 'Stability Test' then 'Enable Root Permission'

- You will now be prompted for a password - enter :SWIFT::GT540:

- A toast message will briefly appear saying 'OK' - your root access is now enabled!

- Reboot your device, and now when you connect via ADB, you'll see you have a root prompt (#).

You can now download and install ChainsDD's excellent Superuser app from here (I used the su-2.1-cd-unsecure version).

Job done! Enjoy! :(

P

GT540root.jpg

I need a a step by step guide on how to do this and what programs i need, i tried to follow the instructions on the polish site but get stuck trying to install the superuser files files on my phone, and not got as far as seeing that messege that im suppose to see on this page and when i get to push to su files i foloowed the guide and get adb is not .....something or other. Help would be appreciated.

Guest TheLostSwede
Yes i can now use adb, and ran the install.bat in the superuser.zip but when i start the app on the phone it says "the whitelist is currently empty"

Well, that's good news, it's working then :(

As you install apps that need root access, you'll get a pop-up from the whitelist app where you can allow the apps root access or not. Give the app access and it'll work as intended.

Guest TheLostSwede

New version out today http://blog.23corner.com/2010/08/08/univer...1-5-3-released/ and it works perfectly now on the GT540 as the creator added a drop down menu for the superuser app which allows you to install it for either 1.5/1.6 or 2.1/2.2 which solves the only problem it had before where it wouldn't install the superuser app. This is the easiest way to root your GT540 or any other supported Android handset, as it doesn't require you to connect the handset to a PC at all.

Guest onlinejobwork

Here's how! :)

The LG GT540 root is interesting in that it's very similar but not the same as the LG GW620 root, detailed here on XDA developers. For the GT540, LG introduced an additional level of security in the engineering application. It didn't really work out so well. :D

- Select the option 'Module Test', then 'Stability Test' then 'Enable Root Permission'

- A toast message will briefly appear saying 'OK' - your root access is now enabled!

- Reboot your device, and now when you connect via ADB, you'll see you have a root prompt (#).

You can now download and install ChainsDD's excellent Superuser app from here (I used the su-2.1-cd-unsecure version).

Job done! Enjoy! :D

P

GT540root.jpg

Hi P

I am member of this forum since the lauch of Samsung Omnia SGH i900, since than I never try do something with ROM, until than I even dont know that this kind of most interesting think ever exist in the world of mobile, finaly I sold the most anoying phone I have ever used samsung omia sgh i900. and I today sold my Nokia 5800 and just ordered LG Gt540 Optimax the android phone, my main device is Ipone 3Gs and its give me undesribable pleasure than any other device, since log time I am heard a lot about a word called 'Android' but I havent ACKNOWLEDGE much, when I heard google lauch its first phon, at that time I seen that phone but the look was no impressive so I did not care about android and google but I never ever imagine that Google has come such popular and growing ln leaps and bounds, my head stunned and since long time I am thinking of buying a very budget phone with Android OS, as I tried all phone except Android one...

So finaly I order the LG optimus GT540 so I can drench muy Technology Thirst and drink Android, my wife fight with me sometime when I talk about buying a new phone or reading articale and reviews on the net, as I can say that I grow-up and live with electricals, by cirtification I am MCP, MCSE, MCDBA & DCP (Dip. in computer programming) when I attend the computer class in India and when people ask me where u been and when I told them I was in the Computer Class they literaly dont know what is computer even, I am sure, at that time the computer I used with complete green screen or monochrome and win 3.1 or may be just the dos os, I involved in the field of Computer when I was 15 years but its not my fortune that I can get job/work in the field of IT of electronics, I am wasting my skill at labor job in Tesco, and when I see lots of unprofessional and different field people who even dont know ABC of Technology work in placed like Carfone, Comet, PCworld and some of the biggest store inside the Self...& Co oxford street, when I visit all store their knowledge and experience are below the average or I can say not much better than todays layman people, sorry I am cut the crap here and.....

I would just like to know what can I do with after rooting with LG optimus? how can I install apps or programs in SD card instead Phone momory

Finaly I have no worda to desribe your tremendous contribution to mobile use community, endless thanks to you Paul, keep doing good work

thanks for reading my not Biography , waiting for reply

Tare care

bye

Urvish

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brisuth

Here's how! :D

Job done! Enjoy! :D

P

GT540root.jpg

I have tried the above but i only have four options in stability test, data abort, prefetch abort, kernal panic, and abort by user mode can anyone help please