Fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery on your device without a PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Hekertv
Note: The recommended install method for fake-flash is now 'ROM Manager' on the Android Market.

This morning, Koush and I have been working on / stumbling through getting recovery running on a Desire without using a PC for devices rooted with a test image. The same technique also applies to the Legend. Presenting...

fake-flash!

Fake-flash using a similar concept to the original root method, it launches a recovery image from the test image recovery, but instead of pushing the files from a PC, the files are extracted from an update.zip on the SD card. Here's how it works...

Preperation

• Download the fake-flash update zip from one of the links below
  • Copy the update.zip to the root of your SD card (the name MUST remain as update.zip)

• Turn on your device with 'volume down' pressed and select 'Recovery'
    • When the exclamation mark appears, press and hold 'volume up' then press 'power'
    • Select the second option, 'Apply sdcard:update.zip
    • That's it, ClockworkMod recovery should launch! :angry:

Neat eh?

DOWNLOAD

Just to caveat this initial release, we've yet to carry out extensive testing and you are constrained somewhat by the limitations of the stock kernel (e.g. no support for EXT4).

That's it for now... enjoy... i'll update this post as further advances are made. If you'd like to support Koush's work, consider buying 'ROM Manager Premium' from the Android Market.

P

I'm having problems installing this on my Desire:

I press Recovery and a phone apers in my screen,

After i select "Apply sdcard:update.zip"

My phone gifs the following problem: "Signature varification faild, Installation aborted"

It gives me the option to install ones more but the same problem keeps comming up....

Please help me.....

EDIT:

Used a new sd card (same problem)

EDIT (2):

Think I have found it i have (what ever it meens) HBOOT 0.80.0000

Edited by Hekertv

Guest theboxman

*great* work guys.

Many thanks.

As regards using this a couple of quick questions:

1. Do I need to use my Goldcard for this? or can I just dump this on my main card?

I'm looking to use this to install a froyo update, pref an OCUV one with the modaco custom rom, and I want A2SD+....

I will be doing this on a new {larger} SD card....

Will this hack be capable given I'll need to create an extended partition? or will I need to create that partition in Ubuntu/use the old method {usb cable}

Slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a good stable OCUV Froyo ROM preferably based on the Modaco Custom one with A2SD+ baked in?

And I seriously owe it to you guys to go Ad Free - Will do as soon as the student loan company pay me :-D Will buy RomManager from the market to show my support too!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr Mixalot

:D

Thanks Guys

This saved me, installed a custom rom and it wouldn't boot but whenever I went to access Recovery I got the 'exclamation mark' screen

This file has save me, restored from backup and all okay now

Going to try and load the rom again

Thanks again

• 1 month later...
Guest Sudakoma

Hi,

First post here and hoping somebody will be able to help me fix my Desire.

I have followed all the step-by-step instructions to try to get recovery mode working. I can boot into the screen and highlight the recovery option but i am unable to select it! The trackpad does nothing and pressing the power button simply causes the handset to vibrate and the O2 splashscreen to appear. The handset then stays frozen until i remove the battery.

Any help much appreciated!

• 2 months later...
Guest skallepar
I get signature error when I tried this.

What can i do, i'm a newbie. My phone is down, it won't boot. please help

I have the exact same error. Help from the pros please!!! :)

Guest ShadeZero

Hi emm think i screwup a bit using this method..

I notice there was no exclamation mark after i select recovery. It went straight to the recovery. So i just apply the sdcard:update.zip and then reboot. Now im stuck at the screen of a box with an arrow going out since... :s

Help :s

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mcraymondo

This has just saved my life!!!! ;) thanks paul for this. thought i had bricked my phone but I used this fix to re mount all the partitions on my phone and then flashed cm 6.1 on again and my phone seems to have recovered from it's "spaz attack". Anyway on my legend before it got stuck on htc screen and unable to get into recovery to flash a rom. It was randomly flickering on the recovery menu. What was all that about? I'm glad it's sorted anyway, thanks again!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

i've got my desire rooted for some time now tough havent tried anything else since that... (got my desire 3-4 months ago)

now trying to get a custom firmware from modaco here, so this is where i continue ;D

so my question to the topic (it may sound silly):

The description says i have to copy update.zip to the root of my devide, however the download file doesnt have any update.zip in there.

only 3 Folders: META-INF, res, sbin...

then i thought it could be the recovery-clockwork-bravo.zip which i extracted that i'm supposed to rename?

COuldnt find anything about renaming on the description so i'm asking here ;) just to be sure...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pros plz help Htc desire stuck in boot loop.

I have rooted desire i did a system up date and the phone rebooted to white Screen with green htc logo and it keeps rebooting evey min.

Also when i try to go in to recovery it comes up with red triangle. I have tried fake-flash and it gets up to about 10% aborts with E: signature verication failed.

Please if any one can help with

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest stevearcheruk

Hey all

I was (still am really) loving clockworkmod, and was quietly confident that I knew what I was doing and regularly enjoyed trying new ROMS.

Getting rooted was a bit of a pain but well worth it.

Anyway, I am not sure what I've done but my phone is stuck in a boot-loop, white screen with green HTC, then vibrates and reboots to the same.

I wasn't worried at first, I thought I would just boot into recovery and restore a backup... but no such luck!

Selecting recovery from hboot gave me the red exclamation icon, and then selecting update.zip returned the following errors -

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted.

That led me here, but replacing the update.zip file on my SD has not helped, I just get the same signature error.

This is my phone info -

bravo pvt1 ship s-on

hboot-0.93.0001

microp-031d

radio-5.09.05.30_2

aug 10 2010,17:52:10

Is it s-on that is causing the error?

What can I do about it?

I was looking at gold card, but get CID failure, and cannot format the SD in the phone to get new CID as it won't boot!

None of the RUU files have found work either (customer ID error) - it is Orange branded handset.

I have spent all weekend trying to fix this, and I am sure there is a way.

Can someone please help, as I love this phone and miss it loads?

Cheers, Steve

Edited by stevearcheruk

• 7 months later...
Guest stevo25

Hey all

I was (still am really) loving clockworkmod, and was quietly confident that I knew what I was doing and regularly enjoyed trying new ROMS.

Getting rooted was a bit of a pain but well worth it.

Anyway, I am not sure what I've done but my phone is stuck in a boot-loop, white screen with green HTC, then vibrates and reboots to the same.

I wasn't worried at first, I thought I would just boot into recovery and restore a backup... but no such luck!

Selecting recovery from hboot gave me the red exclamation icon, and then selecting update.zip returned the following errors -

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted.

That led me here, but replacing the update.zip file on my SD has not helped, I just get the same signature error.

This is my phone info -

bravo pvt1 ship s-on

hboot-0.93.0001

microp-031d

radio-5.09.05.30_2

aug 10 2010,17:52:10

Is it s-on that is causing the error?

What can I do about it?

I was looking at gold card, but get CID failure, and cannot format the SD in the phone to get new CID as it won't boot!

None of the RUU files have found work either (customer ID error) - it is Orange branded handset.

I have spent all weekend trying to fix this, and I am sure there is a way.

Can someone please help, as I love this phone and miss it loads?

Cheers, Steve

exactly the same as me, I've spent about 4-5 hours trying to sort this HELP

• 4 weeks later...
Guest EernstJ

Could this by anny chance destroi the possibility to use RomManager.

I am not shure, I tryed this method and it works. I used to use RomManager bus this does not work annymore...

Ernst-jan

Netherlands

• 4 months later...
Guest smethrony

I am recently purchased a Samsung galaxy S2 mobile and this information will much help to me for efficient use of my mobile. Thanks a lot sharing it in this thread.