Best Streak Apps

Guest deekarma

Guest deekarma

I've been loving the idea of the streak for ages, and loving my very own since Saturday. I call him Frank and, so far, he and I are getting on swell.

I am new to android having moved from Blackberry and previously Win Mob.

Learning a new OS is fiendishly fun.

If you have the time to help me narrow down the market place, can you recommend your top 5 apps that you would recommend for the streak - free or paid - and a brief description.

So far have:

Advanced Task Manager

Astro

Antibody - this is a fun and original game btw!

appInstaller

Barcode Scanner

Docs to go

Goggles

Google maps,sky, mail,

phonemypc

shazam

trapster

Interested in all and any recommendations.

cheers from me and Frank

Guest Dogmann55

Hi deekarma

Well I have had mine since Monday and so far i have installed

Seven for real time Push E-Mail in my case for Yahoo and MSN but covers most providers.

Barcode Scanner the easiest way to get apps on the device IMO.

Gentle Alarm great alarm clock.

iSyncR to get all my Albums from iTunes onto the Streak

Google Sky Map because i like it and it's fun

3G Watchdog so i can monitor my data use

Beautiful Widgets for a nice Home screen Clock and Weather Widget

System so i can look at performance in detail

Astro file Manager as is says it's a file manager and few other things.

Live Calender Widget puts icon on you Home screen press it and it brings up 14 days worth of upcoming appointments

F1 Pocket 2010 all you need to see about F1 was used on WM previously

MotoGP Pocket 2010 as above but for MotoGP

What i haven't installed and have no intention of installing is a Task Manager as so far don't think i need one.

That's it so far but i only intend installing things i really am going to use as opposed to as many apps as i can

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55

Guest deekarma

Nice one Marc, thanks.

Gonna check out seven, gentle alarm clock and system.

I agree on less is more philosophy. This isn't the way the market operates though.

So far I have installed loads and uninstalled loads since they were pants.

Great fun had nonetheless.

Really curious about rooting the wee fella and using him as a wifi hotspot. Now that is good.

Guest courtlandre

Aldiko- for the ebook readers out there.

Dropbox- Online file storage

Dolphin Browser- Just a browser, but pretty nice.

Mixzing- Media player with a good homescreen widget

Zedge- For ringtones and wallpapers

Edited by courtlandre

Guest trickyhenry

OK I have never seen anything like this before and am guessing its not well known.... 'w.tv' is the app of the day. It allows you to stream tv and DVD's.

Guest bjtheone
Aldiko- for the ebook readers out there.

Dropbox- Online file storage

Dolphin Browser- Just a browser, but pretty nice.

Mixzing- Media player with a good homescreen widget

Zedge- For ringtones and wallpapers

I would strongly recommend FBReader for ebooks. I read a lot of ebook (currently have around 300 on my phone) and I think I have tried all the ebook readers available for Android. Setled on FBReader and the epub format as the best solution, managed by Calibre on my Linux laptop.

Guest tudorw

as a rule I don't really game, but Air Control is very nice, well executed, fun to play, looks great in widescreen format :)

Guest courtlandre
I would strongly recommend FBReader for ebooks. I read a lot of ebook (currently have around 300 on my phone) and I think I have tried all the ebook readers available for Android. Setled on FBReader and the epub format as the best solution, managed by Calibre on my Linux laptop.

Aldiko is a much cleaner and nicer interface and it also supports the epub format. Also, you can add sources into aldiko which means free books...

Guest tudorw

Advanced Task Cleaner 2.0 is nice, you can specify apps to auto kill after a certain period, I have found it helps keep the device 'snappy'

If you are into DJ'ing then you must look at Andj it's a great app, pitch control, que points, retard and accelerate with touch, if that means nothing to you then move along...

AndroIRC seems to be doing a solid job as an IRC client.

Ethereal Dialpad is another music app, but certainly no skills needed, great for showing off touch screens those new to them :)

Shazam, again another good show off piece, play it a piece of music (commercial'ish works best...) and it'll recognise it and pull up the details.

Ustream Broadcaster and Ustream Viewer provide video entertainment and live video broadcasting from your handset (works pretty well on mobile as well as wifi)

finally for some fun, search for W.TV (sry trickyhenry, missed your post) and install it, its some chinese app and seems to have literally hundreds of channels, movie trailer (english voicetracks with subs), dvd's and other things too, anyone read chinese?

Edited by tudorw

Guest pug11111

i have got on my streak acv- comic book reader/aldiko reader /appbrain/barcode scanner /astro /better keyboard/dolphin browser /skyfire browser copilot live/doodle jump/layar/edw / wings of steel best game i played /and a few root programs. I get to spend lots of time playing with my phone as you can see lol

Guest Dunhamzzz

I'll add to the list, I've had a major experiment as this is my first Android device, there are loads of apps out there!

360 Live - XBox live client - the ability to send messages during games without having to use the xbox controller/interface is priceless (the app is actually pretty great anyway)

Spotify - I decided to upgrade for mobile as it's the only music app I really use now.

WC2010 FotMob - for the World Cup, has fixtures, news and will have results and stuff.

Touiteur for twitter, I like to use official apps where possible, but this is the best one out there until 2.2

Orientation Lock Widget so you can lock the orientation from the home screen

If I travelled a lot more I would definitely go for Locale as well, that looks amazing.

Guest TomDroid
I'll add to the list, I've had a major experiment as this is my first Android device, there are loads of apps out there!

360 Live - XBox live client - the ability to send messages during games without having to use the xbox controller/interface is priceless (the app is actually pretty great anyway)

Spotify - I decided to upgrade for mobile as it's the only music app I really use now.

WC2010 FotMob - for the World Cup, has fixtures, news and will have results and stuff.

Touiteur for twitter, I like to use official apps where possible, but this is the best one out there until 2.2

Orientation Lock Widget so you can lock the orientation from the home screen

If I travelled a lot more I would definitely go for Locale as well, that looks amazing.

Have to add the Cartman quotes - if only for the sheer un-pcness (is that a word?) of it! :)

Guest bjtheone
Aldiko is a much cleaner and nicer interface and it also supports the epub format. Also, you can add sources into aldiko which means free books...

Hummmm... perhaps I will give Aldiko another go. Last time I did not like the UI or the bookshelf feature (its pretty but not practical when you have 300+ ebooks on the device).

In terms of sources for books... I manage my collection on my laptop using Calibe (which is a "real" book collection library/management tool, plus it does format conversions).

If you want free books there are many sites for that and yes I do use them for publishers that either will not release ebooks, time delay them significantly from the hard cover release, or for books I already have paper copies.

Guest deekarma

Having moved over from blackberry, I find the email client poor. The gmail service is ok, but I run multiple accounts and the native client is all over the shop with notifications and marking read an only loads 25 msgs at a time. Xan anypne recommend an alternative?

Guest dan13l

For anyone using Astro as a file manager, I had a couple of problems with certain Samba shares so switched to ES File Explorer. I much prefer the way that works, and I've had no problems with it at all (admittedly on a Nexus One, I've not made my mind up about the Streak yet).

Guest Andy Garton
Having moved over from blackberry, I find the email client poor. The gmail service is ok, but I run multiple accounts and the native client is all over the shop with notifications and marking read an only loads 25 msgs at a time. Xan anypne recommend an alternative?

You can try the updated K9 Mail in the market, but it's still not great. I'd be interested to hear of better alternatives also...

Guest AndyCr15
only loads 25 msgs at a time.

Erm, that's an option when setting it up, no? I have mine loading 50 at a time. You can have more...

Guest deekarma
For anyone using Astro as a file manager, I had a couple of problems with certain Samba shares so switched to ES File Explorer. I much prefer the way that works, and I've had no problems with it at all (admittedly on a Nexus One, I've not made my mind up about the Streak yet).

+1 I used this after struggling to get the streak to see my pc through an smbl using astro. ES explorer pretty much automatd the process. Nice interface too.

You can try the updated K9 Mail in the market, but it's still not great. I'd be interested to hear of better alternatives also...

I tried out the beta seven mail client. It works quite nicely and delivers mail in real time. i couldnt get it to work with attachments though, which is a showstopper.

Erm, that's an option when setting it up, no? I have mine loading 50 at a time. You can have more...

Yeah, just saw that you can go up to 100. I rather hold the entire archive.

Guest Andy Garton

The latest version of course K9 Mail is well worth the download imo, some nice new features which work well on the Streak.

Guest Loconinja
The latest version of course K9 Mail is well worth the download imo, some nice new features which work well on the Streak.

I notice that it does not replace the pre-installed version of K9. Is it possible to uninstall the older version?

Guest deekarma

Mmm, doesn't see to improve much on stock client.

For example the messages don't reliably mark as read and can take an age to download.

I'll keep searching.