MCR r21 Archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest caponi

I love these ROMS's. However, i have a little problem when i rotate my Desire for 90 degrees. In R18 the screen flipped to horizontal mode ("internet browsing mode"), as it should be. But in R20 it remains vertical.

Edited by caponi

Guest hally83
hmmmm looks likes the hickups still aren't quite out of this new rom then....

I think I'll hold off a little while longer......

Also has anyone here got imobsters? I'm wondering whether I'll lose my character if i reflash then restore an uptodate backup with titanium.....I'm just not sure *how* storm8 identify my handset as the one relating to my character.....

But I'll take the plunge anyway once this process seems a little smoother as I've looked at the froyo browser reviews ;-)

Also any problems with Orange UK here? Is that radio that caused the problems bundled with this?

There is no radio bundled with this unless you explicitly choose to. I'm still on my original Orange radio and going strong.

Guest Roton

Can someone confirm com.google.voice.android works on this rom before I flash? This is where you click on "speak destination" in Navigate and tell it where you want to go. I've found it FC's on the last 2 Froyo roms I tried. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Roton

Guest Tymmy Dee

Great ROM but damn, I don't lnow if I can live with the echo. Tried lowering volume. Tried the echotest.Zip. tried three different radios. Anyone had any more luck trying anything else?

Guest StuMcBill
Great ROM but damn, I don't lnow if I can live with the echo. Tried lowering volume. Tried the echotest.Zip. tried three different radios. Anyone had any more luck trying anything else?

I would also like to report the echo issue while using MoDaCo r20.

Stu

Guest kay9jay

i give up. there is DEFINATELLY something wrong with A2SD in R20 (prebaked)

im a complete n00b but i figured out some linux terminal commands and checked the ext3 partition on sdcard.

partition is mounted and 30% full but STILL there are all files in app/ on data/. this makes the phone memory go down (getting lowspace warnings when i install more apps)

this could also be the 40a2sd start up script...

this is my 1st custom rom for android and i dont know enough to troubleshoot this.

Guest battletank
i give up. there is DEFINATELLY something wrong with A2SD in R20 (prebaked)

im a complete n00b but i figured out some linux terminal commands and checked the ext3 partition on sdcard.

partition is mounted and 30% full but STILL there are all files in app/ on data/. this makes the phone memory go down (getting lowspace warnings when i install more apps)

this could also be the 40a2sd start up script...

this is my 1st custom rom for android and i dont know enough to troubleshoot this.

That's normal. As I understand it, with A2SD, just the app files get moved - the Dalvik cache and some other bits and pieces still gradually fill your internal storage, just at a much slower rate. A2SD+ improves the sitation, because it also moves the Dalvik cache to the SD card, but even then, internal storage will reduce a little bit with each app.

Guest kay9jay
That's normal. As I understand it, with A2SD, just the app files get moved - the Dalvik cache and some other bits and pieces still gradually fill your internal storage, just at a much slower rate. A2SD+ improves the sitation, because it also moves the Dalvik cache to the SD card, but even then, internal storage will reduce a little bit with each app.

i am down to 14mb free space. this cant be normal. most say they are at 75mb space.

when i go into data/app or system/sd/app and enter ls -l none of the files show as symlinked (im not sure if i am doing this right).

apps should be moved to ext3 on each reboot right? so if i should regain free space after reboot but that never happens.

also, i am not sure but shouldnt i be able to move files manually in settings/manage apps to sdcard? this is greyed out...

Guest afiorillo
[...] when i go into data/app or system/sd/app and enter ls -l none of the files show as symlinked (im not sure if i am doing this right).

No, you should look for symlinks directly into /data.

apps should be moved to ext3 on each reboot right? [...]

Again, no: symlinks are created at boot time, files are not moved at all.

also, i am not sure but shouldnt i be able to move files manually in settings/manage apps to sdcard? this is greyed out...

That is the FroYo A2SD thing, earlier you was dealing with 'old style' A2SD(+). With MCR forget the latter and focus to the earlier.

How did you partitioned your sdcard? Did you know that the partition order is mandatory? FAT32 first and ext2/3 last.

Edited by afiorillo

Guest kay9jay
No, you should look for symlinks directly into /data.

Again, no: symlinks are created at boot time, files are not moved at all.

That is the FroYo A2SD thing, earlier you was dealing with 'old style' A2SD(+). With MCR forget the latter and focus to the earlier.

How did you partitioned your sdcard? Did you know that the partition order is mandatory? FAT32 first and ext2/3 last.

my sdcard is formatted in the following order: fat32, ext3, linux swap.

ls -l shows that there are symlinks in data , app -> system/sd/app and app-private -> system/sd/app-private.

maybe i just installed the apps wrong?

i have 2 sd cards. i installed some apps while using a sdcard (fat32 only) and then copied files to the new sdcard with fat32, ext3, swap.

i was thinking the rom would move the apks from phone memory to sd/app.

weird i think i may have made some mistake. there is an additional app folder in data/app/ . i just rm'd it but still only 15mb free space.

Edited by kay9jay

Guest afiorillo
[...] there is an additional app folder in data/app/ . i just rm'd it but still only 15mb free space.

That's because you're not in the internal memory, you're actually on the sdcard: symlinks do that.

I think the best option for you is restarting from scratch: use the recovery console to erase your sdcard's ext partition, do a wipe and reinstall your apps without even thinking about A2SD, it's totally automatic.

Guest bunglehaze

Managed to flash this rom, in my excitement I forgot to take a nandroid backup before I did so and now im faced with a small issue - there is no phone function installed?? Is this something extra I am supposed to install or has something borked?

I am on vodafone UK, and setup for a2sd (fat16@1100mb and ext2@800mb on my test card)

cheers

Managed to flash this rom, in my excitement I forgot to take a nandroid backup before I did so and now im faced with a small issue - there is no phone function installed?? Is this something extra I am supposed to install or has something borked?

I am on vodafone UK, and setup for a2sd (fat16@1100mb and ext2@800mb on my test card)

cheers

Got this yesterday - had to wipe and re-install.

Guest medomedo
Be careful with Titanium back up, remember these apps have data that was used on the 3.1 rom. This can cause force closes. I had to re-install severall times wiping before installing because of force closes. I realised it was because I restored using Titanium. In the end I just restored some apps but no data and certainly no system data.

Now pretty much everything is fine.

I second that. you need to know what apps and data you are resotring. you can select using the checkboxes. Always make a nandroid backup.

Guest Scottland

Has anyone got any suggestions on different radio's to try to see if it helps with batterylife? I'm using 32.37.00.32U_4.06.00.16_2.

90mins since it was on charge = 84% battery :lol:

Guest kay9jay
That's because you're not in the internal memory, you're actually on the sdcard: symlinks do that.

I think the best option for you is restarting from scratch: use the recovery console to erase your sdcard's ext partition, do a wipe and reinstall your apps without even thinking about A2SD, it's totally automatic.

no. i think ill wait... or maybe try defrost 1.6x.

can you tell me if i cann use titanium backup to restore my apps (apps only) across different custom roms?

afaik defrost uses Froyo apps2sd (you can use adb shell to force install all apps to sdcard).

Guest mariiiuusss
You can use the same commands in this ROM as DeFroST - I just use the new Spare Parts to set it as opposed to ADB

Where did you get the new Spare Parts apk? Thanks!

Guest Dr_Ash

is it just me or is the scrolling on the froyo browser really juddery? I know it's a small thing but it keeps making me change back to MCR r3.1.....

Does anyone else have this issue and is there a fix?