LG Gt540 rom updates from LG

Guest hecatae

Guest LucianoR
Hi,

I just bought this phone from Amazon, international version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041RSFT6/ref=oss_product

I plan to use it in Brazil, and like to upgrade to 2.1... I checked the firmware using the BRazilian country code:

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/cli...&country=BR

This phone is available in Brazil, but have a different version (GT540F), and I don't know what is the Android version for those releases.

So, my questions are:

1) since it's an international version, shouldn't it have a universal ROM upgrade to 2.1?

2) can I use the GT540F versions that are available?

3) can I use a version from other country? If yes, what's the version that is more like the 'vanilla' version?

Thanks,

Luciano

no answers? sorry for re posting.

Guest Pluton15
no answers? sorry for re posting.

What it writes about your phone in Menu -> Settings -> About Phone

What sw version and what is model number ??

Yes u can use versions from another country. Just try samo unbranded version like Europe Open etc..

Guest fishears

Hey Guys,

First post here so go easy on me! :)

I bought a GT540 from Carphone Warehouse (uk) and it's for O2 PAYG.

The firmware was V10A so I got KDZ_FW_UPD (the foreign one that needs Windows Enabler) and flashed it with the "Carphone Warehouse (CPW) UK Open 2.1" V20B firmware. The process failed after getting most of the way through so I pulled the battery & replaced it and it started up again in download mode & the update finished.

When I started the phone everything kept crashing until I did a factory reset then all was great EXCEPT it said my SD card was blank or unsupported & formatting it (in phone & PC) didn't do anything. Plus there was no LG logo or animations when the phone was starting up - just black screen then the Android UI. I eventually took the phone back & they gave me a new one :)

So....

I still want 2.1 but I'm being a girl about trying again in case it screws up the same way & CPW won't replace again.

I've now got the English version of KDZ_FW_UPD (that has DIAG mode). What is the best 2.1 firmware to use on a UK PAYG phone from CPW? I hear that the Baltic is best but will that work in the UK? Also, I saw somewhere that you should do a factory reset & remove SIM & remove SD card BEFORE updating - is that correct?

Thanks

Guest hecatae
Hey Guys,

First post here so go easy on me! :)

I bought a GT540 from Carphone Warehouse (uk) and it's for O2 PAYG.

The firmware was V10A so I got KDZ_FW_UPD (the foreign one that needs Windows Enabler) and flashed it with the "Carphone Warehouse (CPW) UK Open 2.1" V20B firmware. The process failed after getting most of the way through so I pulled the battery & replaced it and it started up again in download mode & the update finished.

When I started the phone everything kept crashing until I did a factory reset then all was great EXCEPT it said my SD card was blank or unsupported & formatting it (in phone & PC) didn't do anything. Plus there was no LG logo or animations when the phone was starting up - just black screen then the Android UI. I eventually took the phone back & they gave me a new one :)

So....

I still want 2.1 but I'm being a girl about trying again in case it screws up the same way & CPW won't replace again.

I've now got the English version of KDZ_FW_UPD (that has DIAG mode). What is the best 2.1 firmware to use on a UK PAYG phone from CPW? I hear that the Baltic is best but will that work in the UK? Also, I saw somewhere that you should do a factory reset & remove SIM & remove SD card BEFORE updating - is that correct?

Thanks

Baltic will work fine, I always removed sim card and sd card before updating.

Guest fishears

Thanks for the quick replies!

Did you ever hear of the SD Card problem I had? Wondered if it was a known problem after some upgrades?

Just waiting for my courage to arrive now - the Wife'll kill me if I screw this phone up :)

One last question: If I change my country to "Baltics" on the LGMobile Support Tool it says there is an update available so is this the safest way to do an upgrade?

Edited by fishears

Guest sheriffy77

Not nice........ ;)

Yesterday i upgraded with the KDZ updater form 1.6 to the new V20B Greek rom and my phone was working OK but i got the feeling 1.6 was a bit more responsive.

I read al lot of messages from people stating the greek V20A was working smoother compared to 1.6, so today i flashed the greek V20A using de KDZ updater.

But now my data connection 3G is no longer working, it was fine yesterday after the first flash to V20B so i reflashed back to the same version V20B that was working OK yesterday but you guessed it right ..... NO 3G. Tried many differen APN settings, factory resets but no solution.

I searched the forum and found a lot of 3G problems with the 2.1 update, but no solution, maybe i have not searched good enough ....

Is there a solution for my problem, or is my phone from now on a much lesser "smart" phone.

Update:

:) YES YES all back to normal again normal 3G connection !

Seems that a standaard factory reset is not enough, a hard reset did the trick !!

LG GT540 hard reset LG Optimus full reset

WARNING: All of your data and installed applications will be lost!

Press both VOLUME UP + HOME + SEARCH buttons for 5 sec.

Edited by sheriffy77

Hmmm... interesting... I'm updated from Europe Open 20A to 20B - smoothly. Update did NOT erase anything but it is UPDATED!!! :)

Of course, I did a factory reset afterwards as caution. ;)

Guest ilovelg
Hmmm... interesting... I'm updated from Europe Open 20A to 20B - smoothly. Update did NOT erase anything but it is UPDATED!!! :)

Of course, I did a factory reset afterwards as caution. ;)

Good Morning sherlock ! ;) You found out what everybody knows already ! :D

Guest Maolensips

Question?

Ive got GT540

I would like to know how can i change my memory usage to SDcard. Caus when i download stuff from Market, then mobile memory gets full. But i would like them to go on SDcard.

Ive searched, but cant find the way.

Guest fishears

Well, I finally got the balls to try again and it worked out pretty good. I flashed the Europe Open V20B and rooted with Z4Root.

Only thing is I don't get any boot animations - no LG logo, no Android logo (I do get the Android sound) - just black screen...

Anyone else get that or know of a fix?

Thanks for your support!!!

Guest markisioful
Well, I finally got the balls to try again and it worked out pretty good. I flashed the Europe Open V20B and rooted with Z4Root.

Only thing is I don't get any boot animations - no LG logo, no Android logo (I do get the Android sound) - just black screen...

Anyone else get that or know of a fix?

Thanks for your support!!!

I have the same problem .... do u find a solution ??? please replay me !!!!

Guys I want to thank everyone in this thread for all the valuable input.

I just flashed my GT540 to the open european V20B and all went smoothly at my first attempt. I used the KDZ with windows enabler as explained previously in this thread.

The only thing I found not working so far is the sims 3. I don't really care for that but would like to try it out if anyone has ideas on how to make it work they are welcome. The EA logo appears but then it crashes back to applications menu.

Big thanks to all of you!

Bruno

The only thing I found not working so far is the sims 3. I don't really care for that but would like to try it out if anyone has ideas on how to make it work they are welcome. The EA logo appears but then it crashes back to applications menu.

Hi, just go to LG official site from your computer, find GT540 Optimus and there is a link to download additional files for Sims 3 to work (inside archive is a step-by-step tutorial). Archive is ~11MB.

;)

Cheers!

p.s.-Let me know if you find it... if you don't find I will post a link. :)

Edited by Djolle

Hi, just go to LG official site from your computer, find GT540 Optimus and there is a link to download additional files for Sims 3 to work (inside archive is a step-by-step tutorial). Archive is ~11MB.

I did find it, but it was a bit more than 11MB... more like 84 ;)

I must say I'm not liking 2.1 very much... I'm not saying it's worse than 1.6... but there are a few things I don't like. eg. When I'm typing an sms or any other thing why can't I turn off the sound from key strokes?

And why can't I choose a notification sound from my SD card, only the android default ones? I want to have my own incoming sms notification sound...

I mean... those seem like basic functionalities to me... no?

And btw, merry Xmas to y'all :(

EDIT: And another thing, no file manager??

Edited by LarsPT

I did find it, but it was a bit more than 11MB... more like 84 ;)

Ooups... my bad! ;)

I must say I'm not liking 2.1 very much... I'm not saying it's worse than 1.6... but there are a few things I don't like. eg. When I'm typing an sms or any other thing why can't I turn off the sound from key strokes?

And why can't I choose a notification sound from my SD card, only the android default ones? I want to have my own incoming sms notification sound...

I mean... those seem like basic functionalities to me... no?

And btw, merry Xmas to y'all :(

EDIT: And another thing, no file manager??

You CAN turn off the sound from keystrokes under settings of LG IME (Settings, Language & Keyboards) ;)

If you need to put your own sound file for notification use RingsExtended from Android Market. ;)

If you need file manager, GO to Android Market and download one - there are plenty of them (personaly I use ASTRO - paid version) ;)

EDIT: merry Xmas to you too! :P

Edited by Djolle