battery life.

Guest trickyhenry

Guest trickyhenry

Hi all, got my streak and was initially happy with the battery life until a week or so ago. I have not made it through a day! Very annoyed. Anyway I read today that its probably linked to me changing from googlemail to Gmail! I don't know why or how but I'm changing back now and will let you know if it has an affect. Fingers crossed I get through a day with ease. If not i'll end up getting an imoan 4.

I'll keep you posted.

######################Update 5.16 pm

Ok its now just after 5 so I have had the phone on for over 7 hours. In this time I have been on the net for over an hour and streaming podcasts for about 2 hours over wifi. I am now at 51% which is a vast improvementover the past week. I have had everything on except gps.

This means I'm back in love with the streak!

Who would have thought that changing an email could have such an effect....

######################Update 11.50pm

So last night I went to bed at just before midnight and had 30% left. the last part of the day I made a 10 minute phone call and browsed the web for about half an hour on wifi.

So my first day back with a googlemail account and my phone is back too normal! I have made no other changes to the way I use my phone. If anyone else out there has changed to gmail I would suggest that you change back until google has sorted the issues out. Successful day and I'm glad I document it.

Thanks for reading...... Last two entries written with swype!

Edited by trickyhenry

Guest courtlandre

Few things I've noticed about battery life...

1) Get a good task manager and figure out which apps you always want running and which you dont. Set the ones you done to auto-kill after a certain amount of time.

2) Turn off the data connection when you are in an area with weak reception (like in brick buildings or underground) because the phone searches for signal and drains the battery quickly.

Anyone else have battery saving tips? There are also programs in the market that manage your battery life.

Guest rottenmonkey

Agreed, a good tak manager does save battery. Havent noticed any significant changes with the gmail though i have to admit. But to be honest comming fro. A 3gs to a streak the battery life on my streak is far better.

Guest WilhelmsBrick

Have no complaints over my battery. I unplug it in the moring, have light data usage when I have work - email, twitter and Facebook and constantly play music for the 9 or so hours i'm there. I leave auto sync off in most apps though but do leave 3g and EDGE on.

After the 10 or so hours between getting up and finishing work I usually have 65/70% battery left. I then come home, stick wifi on, sit outside with screen full brightness playing music through the speaker and that kane's the battery life. Leaving about 40% after 2 to 3 hours. But thats something I never did with my iphone so I can appreciate why and it still lasts the rest of the day.

This is all without a task manager and auto killig apps. So I'm very pleased with the streak, as expected the one big drain is the screen but thats manageable on low light settings.

Guest AndyCr15

Wow, I couldn't get more than 12 to 14 hours from mine I think. I see others above in a similar position. For me that's just not good enough. There are times I will be at work for 10 hours and then out and about for 4 or 5 after that. I don't want my device dying on me when I might need it ;)

Some battery tips here -

http://hemorrdroids.net/?p=72

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all,

I do wonder why some are having low battery life and what may be the cause of this as really the Streak is my first Android device as i don't count the Nexus One i had as it went back in the box in under 24hrs.

So the Streak being my first Android device these are the settings i have in Data Synchronisation i have both Background Data and auto Sync on for Google Mail, Calender and Contacts under Security and Location in My Location i have Use Wireless networks and Share with Google both on and turn on GPS only when I'm using it and it's needed. I'm also running Seven real time Push E-Mail for 16hrs a day and have WiFi on 12-14hrs a day. I also leave my Network Mode set to GSM/WCDMA auto and am also using Beautiful widgets that updates the Weather to refresh every 8hrs and to use GPS over Network location on for it also.

I don't use a Task killer at all and have my screen brightness set to full most of the time even after using Sat Nav or watching a few videos or listening to some Music i still haven't dropped lower then 23% in a days use and am charging it just once a day admittedly i don't think i am rarely if ever in areas of bad coverage as always seem to have a constant good signal. I have quite a few apps installed now and will go back to the apps thread and update all i have maybe some apps some of you are all using is causing battery drain or maybe actually using a Task killer constantly does actually use more battery power then just letting the OS deal with it by itself. It's not like I've ever run low on Ram and free Ram is nothing but wasted it doesn't make your device faster or smoother only having no free Ram effects it's performance. In fact leaving these processes running or inactive in the background speeds up you device and uses less power when you want to use any of them rather them having to load them completely from scratch IMO. But the only way to know if it is an app you are using is responsible or not would be to compare those of us with no battery life problems with those of you that do and see if there is a particular app you all have that we don't.

Marc

Guest Dunhamzzz

I'm currently cruising on 2days 0 hours, 21minutes with 34% left ;)

Haven't made any phone calls or anything on it (can't- data only) and 3G,Wifi, background data and GPS on the whole time. Only really using Wifi though but it has bee connected the whole time. Been switching between low-medium brightness. Screen time out is 2 minutes but I'm pretty good with locking it when im not using it.

Guest AndyCr15

Well I'm left eating my words. I used my Streak again yesterday evening, just woke up and remembered I left it on... 11½ hours later and I'm still at 77%. Granted, it's literally just been sat on my desk apart from 15 minutes of use, but that's pretty good at 2% per hour.

Damn, I'm due to take this back tomorrow morning... with battery being a big deal breaker... and now this! ;)

Mind you, I still can't unlock it... so :-/

Guest AndyCr15

I'm now at 1d 6m and still 70%?!?!?! What the hell?

Granted, I've only used it for 15 minutes in that day, but still, that's awesome standby battery life! Again, it's off a factory reset with almost no apps installed... but connected to WiFi with GPS on!

Anyone else seen anything crazy like this?

Guest popetodd

Nice standby time!

I haven't been able to leave it alone for that long to test it that way.

What I got today with an auto process killer running was a good 15 hours from full charge to 22% with WiFi, GPS usage, and a LOT of game playing and surfing around.

I am plenty impressed with the battery life on this device considering what it can do.

Guest craigdabbs

im more than happy with the battery life too, last the day for me with plenty of apps running in the background. I have now installed a task killer and JuiceDefender so i should hopefully get some better lifetime from the device.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest psionmark

I seem to be struggling with battery life here.

Yesterday, on a 3 hour drive home, it lost 30%, with no use at all (although I suspect it was doing a lot of hunting for a good signal, as I was driving through rural areas). I even had the GPS switched off, although I'd forgotten to disable the WiFi.

Right now, I'm at 64% with very little use. I unplugged it from the charger around 11:30 pm yesterday, and I had an app (forget what it was called, as I've now uninstalled it), which shuts off all wifi etc between midnight and 7am.

That seems pretty excessive to me.

My battery stats currently show:

Cell standby: 38%

Phone idle: 34%

Wi-Fi: 21%

Display: 3%

Android OS: 3%

and a few other small use ones, so doesn't look like there's a rogue process consuming it all.

I've now uninstalled all "non-essential" apps and have also installed PhoneWeaver to try and optimise things a bit.

Any ideas on improving things?

I absolutely love the Streak, but wouldn't mind a bit longer on the juice, especially when I see mention of folk getting 2 days use from a charge!

Cheers,

Mark

Guest HoTdiGiTi

When i got my dell i was stuggling to get more than 8 hours out of it. Didnt matter if i was using it or it was on standby, it ran out quickly. I was getting to the point of sending it back. My friend told me to let it run down as much as i can before charging it and charge it longer than it takes to reach full. ie over night. He says in his experiance the battery will hold more charge as it 'settles'.

Ive had the phone for 8 days now and i can honestly say there is much improvement, i mean i can go nearly a full day now with really heavy usage (im never off it) and still have 20%-30% left. i switch between Wifi (at home) and Data connection when im out. I also use the free advance app killer when i do put it down for standby. Apart from that i dont do anything else.

Im on 49% as i write this and my battery usage reads:

16h 38m 3s since unplugged

Phone idle 40%

Cell Standby 27%

Wi-Fi 18%

Display 11%

Browser 3%

Android system 2%

Maybe you should try what my mate suggested its worked for me

Guest popetodd

I'm using Juice Defender (with Ultimate Juice add on), it shuts off the APN and WiFi when the screen is off and turns it on every 15 minutes to check mail and other data stuff. for a minute or so.

It has my phone giving me ~14 hours of heavy surfing use till it's drained.

From what the Juice Plotter is showing I'll get ~50 hours if I don't surf and just check my email every now and then.

AppKiller works wonders as well, it kills anything that might use connection in the background when the screen is off.

Edited by popetodd

Guest psionmark
I'm using Juice Defender (with Ultimate Juice add on), it shuts off the APN and WiFi when the screen is off and turns it on every 15 minutes to check mail and other data stuff. for a minute or so.

It has my phone giving me ~14 hours of heavy surfing use till it's drained.

From what the Juice Plotter is showing I'll get ~50 hours if I don't surf and just check my email every now and then.

AppKiller works wonders as well, it kills anything that might use connection in the background when the screen is off.

Hi,

I may give this a try, but it seems to contradict having an always-on, always-connected device. I appreciate that if I have everything running all the time, it's gonna sap the battery, so it's a case of finding a happy compromise.

Cheers,

Mark

Guest vinokirk

I just charge mine up throughout the day. IMHO the battery life on mine is pants. And the fact I cant buy multiple chargers without spending a small fortune really grinds my gears too.

Guest psionmark
I just charge mine up throughout the day. IMHO the battery life on mine is pants. And the fact I cant buy multiple chargers without spending a small fortune really grinds my gears too.

Yes, that's probably the easiest option :lol:

I've ordered the car and desk docks which will improve things for me.

Guest vinokirk
Yes, that's probably the easiest option :lol:

I've ordered the car and desk docks which will improve things for me.

Are you mad!!! £110 all in! I would never spend that! I find Dells prices rediculous. So they've put them down a few quid, they still do not impress me. I've never paid more than a fiver for a charger. Dell are really profiteering from that proprietry port.

Maybe I need a better paid job!

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all,

Well my battery life is still great and I'm still not using a Task Killer or anything else to try and prolong it and the only things that are turned off are GPS and Bluetooth that i turn on when needed,the only thing i would point put is that letting you Li-ion Polymer battery from the Streak run to empty is really bad for it. You can charge it from any level back to full with little issue but allowing it to run flat actually damages it and will result in it under performing and not lasting very long before you will need to replace it.

Marc

Guest courtlandre
Hi all,

Well my battery life is still great and I'm still not using a Task Killer or anything else to try and prolong it and the only things that are turned off are GPS and Bluetooth that i turn on when needed,the only thing i would point put is that letting you Li-ion Polymer battery from the Streak run to empty is really bad for it. You can charge it from any level back to full with little issue but allowing it to run flat actually damages it and will result in it under performing and not lasting very long before you will need to replace it.

Marc

Do you run any IM applications like fring? It seems like those are pretty bad battery eaters.

Guest Dogmann55

@courtlandre

No i don't use any IM services but do have Fring for if and when i want to use Skype but i do have real time Push E-Mail running for both my Yahoo and MSN accounts running 16hrs a day.

Marc