Hardware hacking this puppy, input?

Guest popetodd

Guest LorD CLockaN

whait, whait..

so if I put this boot.img I will get the same results as with Steves perfmod?? but with permanent changes??

Or I'm completly off??

Guest kwenteen
whait, whait..

so if I put this boot.img I will get the same results as with Steves perfmod?? but with permanent changes??

Or I'm completly off??

The huge difference here is that we are talking of the internal µSD, which is normally not user accessible...

but I think it is more or less the same principle... except that for the perfmod, you don't need to open your device !!

with this mod, a 1.5.3 steve version, and a quite slow 32 Go class 2 in the inside, I get a 1406 quadrant score, so it's just normal I'd say !

maybe you could see a difference if you add a class 10 µSD instead ... you try it and tell us ! :D

Boujou Bien

Guest brokenpixel
The huge difference here is that we are talking of the internal µSD, which is normally not user accessible...

but I think it is more or less the same principle... except that for the perfmod, you don't need to open your device !!

with this mod, a 1.5.3 steve version, and a quite slow 32 Go class 2 in the inside, I get a 1406 quadrant score, so it's just normal I'd say !

maybe you could see a difference if you add a class 10 µSD instead ... you try it and tell us ! :D

Boujou Bien

Hey wassup kwenteen you rockin this thread with the 32gb hack:) u mentioned class10 micro sd I spent friday a good couple of hours putting back my streak in working condition after installing a class 10 (is 10mb/s) internal sd I found on the inet. To be honest there is no difference in speed at least not notably like a raid array on a pc. From soft power off to sim code I am getting 4 to 5 seconds faster boot. This week ill test based on "daily usage" and see how that goes. The other thing I notice (could be placebo effect) are transitions on the home menu they seem faster than b4 media gallery still takes some time to cache all images but thats probably the 16gb card that is slowing things down. Will come back and report some more.

Guest kwenteen
Hey wassup kwenteen you rockin this thread with the 32gb hack:) u mentioned class10 micro sd I spent friday a good couple of hours putting back my streak in working condition after installing a class 10 (is 10mb/s) internal sd I found on the inet. To be honest there is no difference in speed at least not notably like a raid array on a pc. From soft power off to sim code I am getting 4 to 5 seconds faster boot. This week ill test based on "daily usage" and see how that goes. The other thing I notice (could be placebo effect) are transitions on the home menu they seem faster than b4 media gallery still takes some time to cache all images but thats probably the 16gb card that is slowing things down. Will come back and report some more.

That's great !

I wasn't aware it could influence even other aspects than just faster apps launch !

I saw that 32 GB class 10 are appearing on the lexar side... I'm wondering about the price, but it might be interesting !

what about your quadrant score ? I think the I/O test might be improved !

I'm still trying to tweak this mod (very slowly I conceed :D) so it could be automated... until then, I'm sticking to this thread !

boujou bien !

Guest brokenpixel
That's great !

I wasn't aware it could influence even other aspects than just faster apps launch !

I saw that 32 GB class 10 are appearing on the lexar side... I'm wondering about the price, but it might be interesting !

what about your quadrant score ? I think the I/O test might be improved !

I'm still trying to tweak this mod (very slowly I conceed :P) so it could be automated... until then, I'm sticking to this thread !

boujou bien !

So I went on and did quadrant, I've never run it before so no way to compare against with. This is what I got with the new SD

Total Score 1535

CPU 5217

Memory 1062

IO 718

2D 289

3D 389

Nothing spectacular, saw another streak user benchmark and wasn't that much different. He actually got higher IO :D

BTW this is the SD I'm using

http://www.amazon.com/Microsd-Premier-Spee...l/dp/B000PJKYFW

Edited by brokenpixel

So I went on and did quadrant, I've never run it before so no way to compare against with. This is what I got with the new SD

Total Score 1535

CPU 5217

Memory 1062

IO 718

2D 289

3D 389

Nothing spectacular, saw another streak user benchmark and wasn't that much different. He actually got higher IO ;)

BTW this is the SD I'm using

http://www.amazon.com/Microsd-Premier-Spee...l/dp/B000PJKYFW

Are those scores based on stock 2.2 ? Very nice if they are.

Guest brokenpixel
you should definitely try that with 1.6 or 1.5.3, they are much faster ! (at least for 1.5.3, I haven't tried yet 1.6)

Didn't want to answer that lol, I find 1.1.1 that works fring and do all my gimmicks and got used to it. But today in the morning I just read the thread about the petition then jumped to the 1.6.0 thread then saw Steven's quadrant score and I'm going to hold on for 1.6.1. Seems good at the moment and his IO test shows massive 7000 points that is 10x more than mine ;)

Guest Spike8585

Could you use a larger card (than 2GB) if you have a single 2GB partition?

The card that brokenpixel is using is not quite class 10.

The link he provided from amazon claims 10MB/s speed, but that is the read speed, not the write speed.

Great price though.

I contacted SanDisk and they responded with the following:

The SanDisk Mobile Premier microSD provides file transfer speeds up to 10MB/sec read, 9MB/sec write for premium performance however there is no class rating for Micro SD card.

It doesn't carry a Class rating because the write speed is 1MB per second short.

Guest kwenteen

The link he provided from amazon claims 10MB/s speed, but that is the read speed, not the write speed.

Great price though.

It doesn't carry a Class rating because the write speed is 1MB per second short.

apparently there is a lexar 32 GB class 10 around the web, between 100 and 150 $. and sure you can use a bigger capacity as your internal sd, that's the main purpose of this thread ! ;)

boujou bien,

K.

Guest brokenpixel

Great price though.

No wonder why the sucky IO :/ anyhow works nice so far.

Guest kwenteen
No wonder why the sucky IO :/ anyhow works nice so far.

I don't get you... it is almost a class 10 card, but just 1 MB/s short, so it is really fast anyway, no ?

so the IO should be fast with it !

Sucky io can be improved by changing schedulers that are running on the partitions,

but tbh the under sd seems pretty quick as is, stop unlikely to see huge improvements by swapping that card.

The external card is a different matter, a class 10 in there should improve speeds for things like caching gallery

Guest Spike8585
Sucky io can be improved by changing schedulers that are running on the partitions,

but tbh the under sd seems pretty quick as is, stop unlikely to see huge improvements by swapping that card.

The external card is a different matter, a class 10 in there should improve speeds for things like caching gallery

I guess I wasn't following?

I assumed we were talking about the internal card.

Do different cards perform differently of the same class speed?

Is the Class all you need to look at, or does random seek, 4k read/write performance differ from brand to brand?

I think I would like to swap out my internal for a class 10 sd, but I am not too concerned about more storage.

Also, I am guessing not, but could the Streak handle a microSDHC UHS-1 card internally when they come out? 20MB/s write, 40MB/s Read. ;)

Edited by Spike8585

Guest Adam Mallinson

Do we have a boot.img for Steve's 1.6 or will the older 1.5.3 one posted work?

I have a 16gb Class 4 that i would like to use as internal so i dont have to swap cards? If so what is best way to format this for use in Streak?

Guest kwenteen
Do we have a boot.img for Steve's 1.6 or will the older 1.5.3 one posted work?

I have a 16gb Class 4 that i would like to use as internal so i dont have to swap cards? If so what is best way to format this for use in Streak?

As soon asked, it's delivered ;-)

here it is ! boot.img

just replace the boot.img from the root of the update.160.zip file with this one, and don't choose any option that would overwrite the base boot.img with another one ! (like volboost or else)

tell me if you have any trouble with it, I used it and it 's ok, but I had trouble going from 153 to 160, but I don't think it's related to this mod... at least I'm positive that this boot.img works, I'm using it right now !

boujou bien !

K.

Guest OrionBG
I guess I wasn't following?

I assumed we were talking about the internal card.

Do different cards perform differently of the same class speed?

Is the Class all you need to look at, or does random seek, 4k read/write performance differ from brand to brand?

I think I would like to swap out my internal for a class 10 sd, but I am not too concerned about more storage.

Also, I am guessing not, but could the Streak handle a microSDHC UHS-1 card internally when they come out? 20MB/s write, 40MB/s Read. ;)

The Class rating is for the minimum speed the card can give! So it is possible for a Class4 card to be Faster than Class6 one! I've seen it! To be sure how a card will perform , you must test it in a card reader that can handle high speeds!

Guest Spike8585

I am very interested in doing this mod.

Anyone have any experience with the Patriot LX series Class 10, micro SDHC?

16GB for $39.99 on newegg. Its affordability worries me. But the Kingston is over $100.00.

Also, I am looking for a disk benchmark that I can test with on my device.

Going through the PC doesn't really give you real world metrics, in my assumption.

I tried "J Disk Benchmark" but the smallest test file size is 10MB.

I want to be able to test random access, 4k and 512k.

Anyone have any leads?

Thanks.

Guest Spike8585

I am trying to decide what size card to get for my internal.

I dont need much storage, so should I go with a 4gb? (Patriot LX Class 10)

I was thinking of using a second partition of the internal to store apps, but now I am thinking that maybe performance would increase if I bought two class 10 and just replace both, and have the apps stored on the user-accessible card.

Do you think it would be faster having apps on the system card, or the storage card?

It would be awesome if i could put these cards in raid. :lol:

Guest kwenteen
I am trying to decide what size card to get for my internal.

I dont need much storage, so should I go with a 4gb? (Patriot LX Class 10)

I was thinking of using a second partition of the internal to store apps, but now I am thinking that maybe performance would increase if I bought two class 10 and just replace both, and have the apps stored on the user-accessible card.

Do you think it would be faster having apps on the system card, or the storage card?

It would be awesome if i could put these cards in raid. :lol:

Hey, If you're not planning to use any extra space from the internal sd, may I suggest you to switch with another 2 Gb µSD, only faster ?

In this case you'll be able to stick with standard releases, and dirty things to do, only swapping the cards, you don't even need to copy data, if you do a factory reset, it will prepare your new µSD automagically !

sounds more comfortable, specially if you don't care about space !

boujou bien,

K.

Edited by kwenteen

Guest Spike8585
Hey, If you're not planning to use any extra space from the internal sd, may I suggest you to switch with another 2 Gb µSD, only faster ?

In this case you'll be able to stick with standard releases, and dirty things to do, only swapping the cards, you don't even need to copy data, if you do a factory reset, it will prepare your new µSD automagically !

sounds more comfortable, specially if you don't care about space !

boujou bien,

K.

I do not care about space, but I do care about the speed.

The smallest Class 10 card is 4GB, unfortunately.

I just placed the order for a 4GB and and a 16GB.

Can I use the 'nobaseband' command in the install.cfg file, when flashing Steves 1.6 with the boot.img mod?

Guest kwenteen
I do not care about space, but I do care about the speed.

The smallest Class 10 card is 4GB, unfortunately.

I just placed the order for a 4GB and and a 16GB.

Can I use the 'nobaseband' command in the install.cfg file, when flashing Steves 1.6 with the boot.img mod?

Good question, have you looked at the script, and see what it does when you enter the nobaseband option ? if it flashes boot.img, that's no good, but if it doesn't, you're all good !

EDIT : just checked, the nobaseband option doesn't seem to flash a specific boot.img, so there should be no probs !

Edited by kwenteen