2.1 release due in July 2010

Guest hecatae

It's an alright phone, it's far from the best I've used, but it's also far from the worst I've used. I'm happy enough with it as a second phone.

I must admit I find typing a chore, have tried lots of the keyboards and settled with SwiftType as the best out of the lot. I didn't know it was 1.6 when I bought it, in fact I was told it was 2.1, so was a little put out when I found out it wasn't. I hope the update comes soon as there are a few apps I'd like to try which require a minimum of 2.1.

Guest AerospaceMango

When I was looking for a phone, I set myself a limit of £150...........

I looked through the specs of loads of phones, and decided on the GT540 knowing full well that it was 1.6.

There was no phone out there, for less than £200 with 2.1. Did no-one else research the phone before buying it???

Again....What did people expect for £100?

If I was told it was 2.1, and subsequently found out it wasn't, I'd've taken it back for a refund, as that is mis-selling.

If I was told it was 2.1, and subsequently found out it wasn't, I'd've taken it back for a refund, as that is mis-selling.

I liked the phone enough to keep it, it's only a spare second phone for me, mostly to play with the android apps - my iPhone is my main phone.

Guest snowdroid
Good work! Thanks! i guess you should create a new thread announcing this (one post in a thread about something else, becomes hidden very fast)

Hmm yes .. thanks for that, a great find !

Guest Khanh Tran
Surely, you knew that the phone was 1.6 when you bought it?

I did!

Therefore, why "Suck LG"?

If you wanted Android 2.1 or 2.2, then you should've bought a more expensive phone.

I'm very happy with the GT540, and to have 2.1 would be the icing on the cake, but it certainly isn't the be=all and end-all of my existence.

Have some patience, but if you cannot manage that, then please stay off the boards, and keep your negative comments to yourself.

I'm sorry about my negative comments. Actualy, i'm very happy with my phone gt540 too :lol: , just wait new update. Hope android 2.1 release soon. May be tomorrow .. who know ? :)

ah, sorry my stupid question: what different "hard factory reset" and "factory reset" (on Setting)?

Edited by Khanh Tran

Guest acolazarov

Phone is imba especially for this price. Have some negative things but for 50 euros u got more than enought.

Update is another thing. we wait here like 2 monts, that is ugly. LG must be put correct date on some official blog or something. People are now nervous, every day we read totaly diferent info from diferent guys who copy us emails from LG support. This is just not serious.

Just to know, LG have 80k employees! 1k-10k mabye more gt540 owners, ask for this update, HE MUST GIVE OFICIAL ANSWER ON OFICIAL place like OFICIAL BLOG.

Sry for bad english, i m like many here just pissed about this 2.1 update.

Guest AerospaceMango
Phone is imba especially for this price. Have some negative things but for 50 euros u got more than enought.

Update is another thing. we wait here like 2 monts, that is ugly. LG must be put correct date on some official blog or something. People are now nervous, every day we read totaly diferent info from diferent guys who copy us emails from LG support. This is just not serious.

Just to know, LG have 80k employees! 1k-10k mabye more gt540 owners, ask for this update, HE MUST GIVE OFICIAL ANSWER ON OFICIAL place like OFICIAL BLOG.

Sry for bad english, i m like many here just pissed about this 2.1 update.

But WHY should they?

We've ALL bought the phone, and a vast majority of us knew it was 1.6. I had no expectations of an upgrade, but now that I understand that it is on the way, I can hardly wait too!

However, it is not an essential that LG MUST upgrade it.

I don't want to keep banging on about the same thing, but whether LG has 200 or 80000 employees, it doesn't make a difference. They will release it when it is ready....so have some patience, and chill out!

There is absolutely no point in getting worked up about something over which you have NO control!

Guest acolazarov
..but whether LG has 200 or 80000 employees, it doesn't make a difference. They will release it when it is ready..

One of these (80k) can sit on oficial blog and put info on most frequently question. We all buy phone with 1.6 but they say buy him we will update him later to 2.1. I think this is important. This later is 3 years? ppl feel fooled now.

..all advertise who come is - buy now we will update "later", they must define "later"!

Guest PaulZero
One of these (80k) can sit on oficial blog and put info on most frequently question. We all buy phone with 1.6 but they say buy him we will update him later to 2.1. I think this is important. This later is 3 years? ppl feel fooled now.

..all advertise who come is - buy now we will update "later", they must define "later"!

This phone hasn't been out 3 years, nor are LG obliged to tell us anything. The fact their customer service even respond and have some clue is sadly a plus in this day and age.

Guest AerospaceMango

Hmmmmmm...Now when I bought mine, at the end of last month, there was nothing in the sales gumpf to suggest that an update was rolling along the tracks.

That was not a prime concern, for me, when buying the phone.

I still cannot understand why anyone would get so uptight over an upgrade?

1.6 runs well enough, and 2.1 is in the near distance....Ok, so you can't touch it yet, but it IS close.

We've ALL bought the phone, and a vast majority of us knew it was 1.6. I had no expectations of an upgrade, but now that I understand that it is on the way, I can hardly wait too!
Well, in fact I wasn't sure between this phone and the "Orange Tactile Internet" which comes with Android 2.1. I chose this one just because I read they will provide an upgrade (and because I trust more in LG than Orange as mobile manufacturer).

Anyway, I have been using my GT540 for less than one week, and since this is the first Android phone I ever had, I am more than satisfied :lol:

Edited by JanusDC

Guest AerospaceMango
Well, in fact I wasn't sure between this phone and the "Orange Tactile Internet" which comes with Android 2.1. I chose this one just because I read they will provide an upgrade (and because I trust more in LG than Orange as mobile manufacturer).

Anyway, I have been using my GT540 for less than one week, and since this is the first Android phone I ever had, I am more than satisfied :)

Well said, Janus!

:( :) :( :lol: :lol:

Guest AerospaceMango
This phone hasn't been out 3 years, nor are LG obliged to tell us anything. The fact their customer service even respond and have some clue is sadly a plus in this day and age.

This also is very true!

Well said, that man!!!

Guest acolazarov

becose topic almost "die" i try to put some drama here ;p .. im cool guys. btw i have phone until 14.jul, like 70 days i think and i w8 update more of u :lol: mabye u dont know how i feel?

Guest PaulZero
becose topic almost "die" i try to put some drama here ;p .. im cool guys. btw i have phone until 14.jul, like 70 days i think and i w8 update more of u :lol: mabye u dont know how i feel?

This topic isn't dying, there just haven't been any significant developments.

As for how you feel, we've all had things we want sorting out that just haven't been addressed... So fair enough, but you did buy this phone only a couple of months after release, do you not think if the 2.1 update had been coming so soon after release they would've just waited for it and released it with the phone? I'm sure they wanted to rush the handset out, make money and all that, but OS updates don't just fall together.

Edited by PaulZero

Guest acolazarov

about obliged there is many differences, but try understand my point. next time i m not obliged to buy LG phone right? like i say my english is ugly try understand my point.

try google phone. 99.9% of result say 1.6 -> 2.1 will be available in most pessimistic scenarios before 15 day release date is 14 sep. after 70 days i will be glad to see official info like "sry guys we change date to nov, dec,," but there is no info!.

Guest AerospaceMango
about obliged there is many differences, but try understand my point. next time i m not obliged to buy LG phone right? like i say my english is ugly try understand my point.

try google phone. 99.9% of result say 1.6 -> 2.1 will be available in most pessimistic scenarios before 15 day release date is 14 sep. after 70 days i will be glad to see official info like "sry guys we change date to nov, dec,," but there is no info!.

I absolutely understand that. BUT, you were NOT obliged to buy the phone in the first place.

We all make choices about what we want, and for us LG GT540 owners, we've made that choice. Now we have to live with it and accept that LG MAY take their time over ANY software upgrade.

Let me take this from a different point of view.......

Let's say, for instance, LG came out tomorrow and said "We're very sorry, but we just can't make 2.1 WORK on the 540. Therefore, we are going to shelve plans for the software upgrade."

How would you feel?

Me? I'd feel a little unhappy, because of all the INTERNET rumours of the upgrade, but it wouldn't affect me that much. I'd just get on with using my phone and really not bother about the O/S. However, it would make me think twice about buying LG in future.

Then, after a year or two, I'd upgrade my phone, anyway, negating the need for the software upgrade!

I still don't see why you feel it's necessary for LG to post forum updates for how they're getting on. I say leave them to it, and hope that those 80k are working on it!

I can see both sides of the argument here to be fair.

One side: You bought an android phone, one of the advantages of Android is that it's constantly evolving, changing, improving - and you want to be part of that, move with the times and not be out of touch and you're unsure what LG are doing about it - if anything.

The other side: You bought a cheap(ish) phone, it's never going to be top of the priority list for updates, it works well enough as it is. Enjoy it.

They're both valid points, LG aren't obliged to update any of their phones - but it'd be great if they do. Either way it'd be good PR to let their customer service people know what's happening - and give a date. Make a formal announcement either way. That would put a stop to most of the guesswork and moaning.

Edited by fuely

lmao i thought it was 2.1 when i got but man this thing can be a fucker so looks im just jump ship to get the alcatle thing looks nice aswell and i get it dead cheaper

Guest he6rt6gr6m
lmao i thought it was 2.1 when i got but man this thing can be a fucker so looks im just jump ship to get the alcatle thing looks nice aswell and i get it dead cheaper

Google is your friend! Why jump in blind without researching??

Guest AerospaceMango
Google is your friend! Why jump in blind without researching??

I spent about 10 days going through Google to see what phone i wanted. I investigated about 10 different models, until I decided which one I wanted.

Then, I paid my money, and got my choice.....

Perhaps that's the REAL reason that I'm happy with my phone, as it is....I expected it to be this way, and it has exceeded my expectations.

For those who expected 2.1 within days/weeks, you're bound to be disappointed!