Got the 'stalling' problem? Rooted? Try this...

Guest PaulOBrien

Try at your own risk... if things go wrong you'll need to wipe your device. I have done this and it seems to have eradicated the 'stalling' i've seen on the device...

You need to be rooted and have ADB on your PC to run these commands. If it's confirmed this helps, i'll make the process easier with an 'installer'.

Enter the following commands in adb on your PC with your device attached (rooted, with USB debugging enabled):

adb shell
su
cp -rp /data/data /dbdata
mv /data/data /data/data.bak
ln -s /dbdata/data /data/data
reboot[/code]

I've done this on mine, and i'm yet to see a 'stall'. Let me know how you get on!

NOTE: This basically moves the application data stuff from the internal SD to the NAND, which seems to be faster. The caveat is that the size limit for dbdata is about 130MB, so if you go over that with your app data, bad things might happen. On the plus side, we're only moving data not the apps themselves, so filling up 130MB will take a while. :lol:

P

Guest woutf

I get this message after the first command

# cp -rp /data/data /dbdata

cp: can't stat '/data/data/LeveloKment.PatternControl/shared_prefs/LeveloKment.P

atternControl_preferences.xml.bak': No such file or directory

Should I just continue with the rest?

Edited by woutf

Guest rrradiogirrrl

Oh, great! Thanks, Paul! Can't try it right now since I'm heading over to Samsung HQ tomorrow in Belgium

They read my blog and contacted me after I posted a video on

because they were really surprised to see the Galaxy S being so slow. They invited me to come over and have a look at it together, possibly flash some new firmware on it. So that hopefully means Samsung is working on it or will work on it soon!

I get this message after the first command

Should I just continue with the rest?

Strange!

Try running it again? Do NOT continue until it completes successfully!

P

Oh, great! Thanks, Paul! Can't try it right now since I'm heading over to Samsung HQ tomorrow in Belgium

They read my blog and contacted me after I posted a video on

because they were really surprised to see the Galaxy S being so slow. They invited me to come over and have a look at it together, possibly flash some new firmware on it. So that hopefully means Samsung is working on it or will work on it soon!

NICE! :lol:

P

Guest woutf
Strange!

Try running it again? Do NOT continue until it completes successfully!

P

Ok, somehow got it to work. So far so good, just started about 10 apps and started switching between them, no stalls to be seen (yet) :lol:

Edited by woutf

Guest Xoneso

got a small problem doing this on my ubuntu box.

root@xoneso-laptop:/home/xoneso/sdk/tools# ./adb shell

$ su

# cp -rp /data/data /dbdata

cp: not found

any ideas?

Guest dherrero
Try at your own risk... if things go wrong you'll need to wipe your device. I have done this and it seems to have eradicated the 'stalling' i've seen on the device...

You need to be rooted and have ADB on your PC to run these commands. If it's confirmed this helps, i'll make the process easier with an 'installer'.

Enter the following commands in adb on your PC with your device attached (rooted, with USB debugging enabled):

adb shell

su

mv /data/data /data/data.bak

ln -s /dbdata/data /data/data

reboot

I've done this on mine, and i'm yet to see a 'stall'. Let me know how you get on!

NOTE: This basically moves the application data stuff from the internal SD to the NAND, which seems to be faster. The caveat is that the size limit for dbdata is about 130MB, so if you go over that with your app data, bad things might happen. On the plus side, we're only moving data not the apps themselves, so filling up 130MB will take a while. :lol:

P

Hi

my device is rooted but when I write the first command I read ????????????????? no permisions. Any idea

Guest dherrero
Hi

my device is rooted but when I write the first command I read ????????????????? no permisions. Any idea

Fixed using other pc (now linux). Now testing speed :lol:

Guest dherrero
Ah, you need Busybox mod installed too for now then!

P

Well, programs open very fast..... :lol:

edit. wow, and programs like accuweather and others move very very fast between screens. Before the movement wasnt very good.

Edited by dherrero

Guest vitalijb
right got it to work using busybox to cp :lol:

also noticed that apps open up faster now and haven't had any shuttering yet

Well this solution is not actually usable on the phone. On my device size of /data/data is already 143 Mb, and its greater than free space in /dbdata (96 Mb)

Guest megakid
Well this solution is not actually usable on the phone. On my device size of /data/data is already 143 Mb, and its greater than free space in /dbdata (96 Mb)

What apps do you have installed?

I was only concerned about map caching apps and such like.

My /data/data was only 44Mb.

EDIT: just tried this - works great! Definite improvement to overall responsiveness. NICE :lol:

Edited by megakid

Guest woutf
There's more complex things we might be able to do with this, so all is not lost... :lol:

P

Like? are there other parts of the nand we might possibly get write acces to?

Guest megakid
I'm really surprised to hit the full 130MB tho tbh...

P

Why? Isn't down to the applications you have and where they choose to store stuff?

Say you downloaded a mapping application that allowed you to download/cache maps from online, would that go into this data directory (I'm not sure on the APIs or any sandboxes that are available to devs when producing an android app)

Guest vitalijb
I'm really surprised to hit the full 130MB tho tbh...

P

I made a list of directories using the most and here they are:

143.000.000 /data/data

18.800.000 /data/data/com.navngo.igo.javaclient

18.500.000 /data/data/com.google.earth

17.600.000 /data/data/com.navigon.navigator

16.300.000 /data/data/com.google.earth/lib

15.800.000 /data/data/com.navigon.navigator/lib

7.300.000 /data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftDUNQ.DungeonHunter/lib

7.300.000 /data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftDUNQ.DungeonHunter

7.000.000 /data/data/com.google.android.youtube

6.900.000 /data/data/com.google.android.youtube/cache