PaulOBrien

Got the 'stalling' problem? Rooted? Try this...

340 posts in this topic

Just did this on my SGS, with a /data/data of not quite 50MB.

And... MAN, THAT'S FAST! E.g. loading the monitoring history of SystemPanel App doesn't take a second, before it took 10s+...

Any side-effects to be afraid of?

Side-effects ONLY if you hit the capacity limit. I'm working on that tho obviously.

P

Side-effects ONLY if you hit the capacity limit. I'm working on that tho obviously.

P

hi paul,

maybe the idea is to identify the core processes, and create a symbolic link to the nand storage?

They've kinda done that already, if you have a look around dbdata. There's other partitions that seem to be unmounted, gonna look into what they are for...

P

There's 30MB on /cache we could potentially do something with too...

P

Hmm i got root. but i cant figure out how to activate busybox. I can't seem to do a adb remount. it just says "remount failed: No such file or directory"

Hmm i got root. but i cant figure out how to activate busybox. I can't seem to do a adb remount. it just says "remount failed: No such file or directory"

once you are in the shell (i.e. after adb shell)

type busybox before the command e.g. busybox cp ...

Arnon

Ah ok. Searched market for "busybox" that seemed to do the trick... And skipped adb remount... stuff seems to work anyways... Ill see if it helps :lol:

what did you use to figure the size.. i tried in busybox ls -R -k doesnt work..

thanks

what did you use to figure the size.. i tried in busybox ls -R -k doesnt work..

thanks

I used busybox du -h

Edited by Arnon

How easy is this to undo if needed ? I'd like to test, but also have a "PLAN B"

thanks figured it out b4 u posted and got the size 44 meg.. now just trying to determine if i want to do the change.. do you know if n1 and other

phones do it this way.. dont really want to do a reinstall if i go over.. and burn out the internal memory if it cannot handle too many writes etc.

Just read the first post again. The word "Wipe" was mentioned. Cool.

LETS DO IT !!!!!!

Completely reversible. :lol:

P

Completely reversible. :lol:

P

Shall we try ? Mines got some Serious issues. All data / most apps gone / com.android.phone FC ......

The price we have to pay for dancing with the devil ;-)

EDIT : My phone seems to have booted up in safe mode. I didn't even know it has a safe mode !!! Lol.

EDIT 2 : Everything is FC. Unable to adb to phone or go to settings or anything.

Time to wipe. I'm a casualty. This is what it feels like. Strange. I've never been a casualty before.

EDIT 3 : Got adb access !!! . Now if someone could assist in the reversal commands. Theres a point or two I don't get. Thanks.

EDIT 4 : Sorry if this is getting boring. Lost root access through adb for some reason. Permission denied

Edited by Ash_786

hey there, i'm a first time Android user and is very excited about development of custom ROM. I manged to root my GS and get to busy box, but how do you guys check the size of data/data and bdata?

Edited by gravityz3r0

I used busybox du -h

hey there, i'm a first time Android user and is very excited about development of custom ROM. I manged to root my GS and get to busy box, but how do you guys check the size of data/data and bdata?

The first quote was posted 6 posts ago .... You seriously missed it ? Wow ...

EDIT 3 : Got adb access !!! . Now if someone could assist in the reversal commands. Theres a point or two I don't get. Thanks.

To undo I believe these are the steps (Based on my linux knowledge), if you followed the initial steps 100% correctly/completely:

su

rm /data/data (This will delete your symlink)

mv /data/data.bak /data/data (Restore your backup)

reboot

Edited by megakid

The first quote was posted 6 posts ago .... You seriously missed it ? Wow ...

I tried before i posted, but the list came out really long, but i did not see anything that says data/data or dbdata

edit : or maybe i cant see it because it's on top of the list and i do not know how to scroll it back up.

edit 2 : ok got it, he did not mention du -h data/data. doh

Edited by gravityz3r0

I re-flashed the phone and re-did the steps and it works fine. Everything seems to be zipping along, but some testing is needed yet. Thanks @megakid for your assistance, but the phone lost adb access and I was ... well screwed by then !!!

sorry i have great problem. after i type su in the cmd the massage is: permission denied. What´s mistake???

Thanks for help

P

Edited by flash_235

This is great. The phone is superfast now. I have over 20 apps install and only 20.53MB used.

I uninstalled Google earth just to get /data/data down to 80Mb. After following the steps, the phone is blazing fast now. Thanks Paul.

The data foder in my phone is too large, more than 300MB. I didn't install google earth, just some gameloft games.

I wonder whether there is any other ways to mv and ln some parts in the data folder, not all things in data folder.

Thanks.

THANKS TO PAUL!

This is my first smartphone and I managed to follow the instructions and it worked :lol: I think, I am not sure how to see if it did, but the adb commands went off without a hitch and then rebooted fine. Phone is running well (not sure if same or better though)