22/Jul r3 (JG5) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Chris-Aus

My first flash on my new Galaxy phone - (I had old firmware JF1.)

- Updated to JG5 then updated to R3. (Worked fine)

- Had an issue with the superuser access popup when restarted, fixed this by re-rooting the phone.

With this file: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728754 (Worked fine - no popups)

Everything seems fine - Ran Benchmark got a score of 960 < I'm assuming that is good.

Couple of questions though?

(1). There is a folder MCR Scripts - Do I run all these scripts one by one?

(2). Google navigation is not working, says not available in Australia - can anyone in Austraila confirm?

Google maps works fine.

(3). Superbox > Do you update this to the latest version from market Apps?

Guest seraphine

Look for Maps [brut] for maps + navigation.

My first flash on my new Galaxy phone - (I had old firmware JF1.)

- Updated to JG5 then updated to R3. (Worked fine)

- Had an issue with the superuser access popup when restarted, fixed this by re-rooting the phone.

With this file: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728754 (Worked fine - no popups)

Everything seems fine - Ran Benchmark got a score of 960 < I'm assuming that is good.

Couple of questions though?

(1). There is a folder MCR Scripts - Do I run all these scripts one by one?

(2). Google navigation is not working, says not available in Australia - can anyone in Austraila confirm?

Google maps works fine.

(3). Superbox > Do you update this to the latest version from market Apps?

Guest seraphine

I actually went back to TouchWiz launcher after a few days of LauncherPro :)

I find horizontal scrolling much easier to track than vertical -- the vertical has no "pages" so I can never remember WHERE an app is as opposed to the static placements for TouchWiz.

Using this rom atm with LauncherProPlus and I have to say its amazing no lag, stalls or anything its just beautiful and shows what this phone is really capable of without touchwizz and saumsungs s*** on it.

Guest SoreGums

I came back to this after using Froyo for a week (unable to scroll contacts got too annoying..).

Now I've noticed that with WiFi it doesn't seem to work properly...

What I mean by this is I get home wifi kicks in and i go to the mail application and press refresh and sits there spinning the "loading conversations" message, no messages are loaded. I go to internet, google doesn't load

So I toggle wifi on and off, go to gmail, messages load, google search works via the browser again.

With Froyo I didn't have this problem, so wondering if anyone else has intermittent issues with WiFi?

Maybe I need to do a complete factory reset/storage wipe?

(these are such a pain... glad I found the file to backup my super tumbler scores :) )

Guest Andrew Luecke
I came back to this after using Froyo for a week (unable to scroll contacts got too annoying..).

Now I've noticed that with WiFi it doesn't seem to work properly...

What I mean by this is I get home wifi kicks in and i go to the mail application and press refresh and sits there spinning the "loading conversations" message, no messages are loaded. I go to internet, google doesn't load

So I toggle wifi on and off, go to gmail, messages load, google search works via the browser again.

With Froyo I didn't have this problem, so wondering if anyone else has intermittent issues with WiFi?

Maybe I need to do a complete factory reset/storage wipe?

(these are such a pain... glad I found the file to backup my super tumbler scores :) )

I did intermittantly.. But only once every few attempts. Using JM5 now, which also mostly fixes my GPS (so I recommend it).

Guest cdmackay
I find horizontal scrolling much easier to track than vertical -- the vertical has no "pages" so I can never remember WHERE an app is as opposed to the static placements for TouchWiz.

Try switching to alphabetical ordering for apps...

Guest SoreGums
I did intermittantly.. But only once every few attempts. Using JM5 now, which also mostly fixes my GPS (so I recommend it).

ok nice, downloading JM5 now (on JG5 atm), hopefully this sorts it out, thanks for the heads up :)

There is no alphabetical ordering except a list view... Unless you've found otherwise?

yeah that's what i don't like about touchwiz... maybe they'll add it later, for now I'm just stick with ADW :D

Edited by SoreGums

Guest Andrew Luecke
ok nice, downloading JM5 now (on JG5 atm), hopefully this sorts it out, thanks for the heads up :)

yeah that's what i don't like about touchwiz... maybe they'll add it later, for now I'm just stick with ADW :D

Actually, GPS still has serious issues (I'm wrong). Something I've discovered is:

1) When the screen sleeps, GPS goes crazy.

2) The accuracy calculations are incorrect even when standing still.

2) The position seems to stabilise about 10meters away from where it should (for me)

The firmware still needs work, but it has gotten better.

Guest cdmackay
There is no alphabetical ordering except a list view... Unless you've found otherwise?

Apols, I am using ADW, and I now realise you were talking about LauncherPro.

I'd assumed that LP would have that option too, but I didn't check it, sorry.

Guest norrgrd

Hi Paul,

Not sure if this is mentioned before;

BUG: Even though Swype is not baked in via the kitchen it still leaves traces in /data/system/packages.xml. This render an update of Swype (with different languages for example) uninstallable (INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE).

SOLUTION: /data/system/packages.xml needs to be modified. Old traces of Swype needs to either be commented out or removed.

Cheers!

Guest septic

just installed the jp3 (2.2) rom from samsung firmwares.com

can i fall back to this version ? and proceed with the installation steps of the first post?

Guest the_mao

Please any experience with simlock after update? I was read about it on xda, some phones are sim locked after update and now I have little fear flash this ROM :/ .

I have virgin non locked, can I flash without fear about sim lock?

Guest septic
just installed the jp3 (2.2) rom from samsung firmwares.com

can i fall back to this version ? and proceed with the installation steps of the first post?

sorry for posting this in that thread, i got the g5 from samsung firmwares, do you have a link with the procedure and files needed to root it ?

regards.

Guest DistortedLoop
sorry for posting this in that thread, i got the g5 from samsung firmwares, do you have a link with the procedure and files needed to root it ?

regards.

It's super simple, download the update.zip, put it in the root of your INTERNAL sdcard, reboot to recovery, run the sdcard update from within recovery.

Here's a detailed thread on xda for it - use the OLD file on there. The new one, which looks like it was pulled last night, did not work for me yesterday.

Guest septic
It's super simple, download the update.zip, put it in the root of your INTERNAL sdcard, reboot to recovery, run the sdcard update from within recovery.

Here's a detailed thread on xda for it - use the OLD file on there. The new one, which looks like it was pulled last night, did not work for me yesterday.

thks.. this update.zip worked...

regards.

Edited by septic

Guest Bobsonsir

Hi,

Sorry if these issues have already been discussed - I've read through most of the pages - so that's why I'm asking here.

I'm new to Android, rooting and all that.. I was experiencing lagging on my Galaxy S. A friend has an htc desire, and had no such problems - he suggested I come here to find out about rooting and updating the ROM.

I've downloaded the latest MoDaCo custom rom - (stupidly lost all my phone numbers in the process - my fault.. thought they were saved to the SIM), and successfully flashed my phone..

I put JG5 on using odin (all files) - all went ok

Then used one click root to root my phone - all ok

Then installed Rom Manager Premium - all ok.

I then downloaded a baked version of the Custom Rom - everything including beeb player - and renamed it update.zip. I then used Rom Manager to install the rom.. and this worked. I then ran the MCR scripts.

.. however, I'm having problems in that: Swype always issues a "force close" every time I attempt to use it.. GPS doesn't appear to work, and Market crashes once I have installed an application and choose to open it from within market.

I've repeated the process several times - the same result each and every time.

Are these known issues?

*#1234# shows:

PDA: I9000XWJG5

Phone: I9000XXJG1

CSC: I9000OXXJG4

About Phone shows:

Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Baseband version: I9000XXJG1

Kernal version: 2.6.29 root@SE-S603 #2

Build number: ECLAIR.XWJG5.MCR-r3

Is there any advice you can give me in order to resolve the swype issues - because without swype the phone is really frustrating. Also, are you able to advise me on the gps and app store issue?

Sorry if this has already been asked before.

Many thanks,

Rob

Guest Bobsonsir

I've used Odin again - to flash it back to JG5 stock.. and swype etc works. I'll stay off putting the custom rom back on - however, really excited to see what happens with Froyo :D

Thanks,

Rob

Edited by Bobsonsir