Desire Froyo Update

Guest thelankygeek

Guest hally83
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I'm struggling to see how you've come to the opinion that this is a disappointment.

Firstly, I'm not sure why you're expecting HTC to change their Sense UI feel and look. This is what makes an HTC phone, a HTC phone - the UI is there to give the phone an identity and reason for the consumer to buy over another brands product.

It's not stock Android, it's Android and Sense - it's supposed to be different to just Android, hence why it doesn't have the 3D application draw. I agree with you that the 3D application draw looks awesome and I would prefer it but it was never going to happen.

I've tried every FroYo ROM going, it's an enjoyment to test things on my phone unlike when I used to own an iPhone 3G, but I keep going back to Sense based ROMs because the default Android email client just isn't good enough. The features in the HTC Email application are major plus points for me, the ability to set my out of office if I forget to before jumping in the car, the fact I can send meeting requests and view email trails in conversation layout.

I would imagine the new Gallery will have been removed as HTC have their own, but just like the Cool Iris Gallery, you can probably install that to work side by side.

You also have to remember that this ROM will be less hacked together than the current ASOP and Port builds, all of which still have a lot of bugs in them.

From what I can gather you don't like Sense, so you can still use this ROM and use Launcher Pro on top of it for your 3D Application Draw.

it's not that I dont like sense per se, it just the more I use Vanilla the more Sense feels like bloatware. On my Hero, copilot was painfully slow on sense and on vanilla Android it was a revelation!

Sense does add a nice polish and some good extra's, but personally I prefer vanilla (yes, maybe I should have bought an N1!)

Again, the reason I was personally disappointed by that video is that HTC could have at least taken advantage of the new UI features in froyo. Surely it wouldn't have meant a full re-design to include those small features that make the phone nicer to use.

Anyway, this is turning into a pointless discussion and I am clearly alone in my thoughts!

Here's hoping we get a decent 2.2 rom soon, whatever the flavour :)

Guest FatherD
Anyway, this is turning into a pointless discussion and I am clearly alone in my thoughts!

Here's hoping we get a decent 2.2 rom soon, whatever the flavour :)

Not alone on this one! I have used sense on a Hero for the best part of a year, now on my Desire. I recently bit the bullet and went for Paul's r21 FroYo. I can only say that I will be waiting for Paul to offer some rooted versions with and without sense! I have very quickly ended up on the fence, and will need to try them both .. I think without will be cleaner and faster. Either way I will be very glad to see everything working as it should.

Guest itachi46
Not alone on this one! I have used sense on a Hero for the best part of a year, now on my Desire. I recently bit the bullet and went for Paul's r21 FroYo. I can only say that I will be waiting for Paul to offer some rooted versions with and without sense! I have very quickly ended up on the fence, and will need to try them both .. I think without will be cleaner and faster. Either way I will be very glad to see everything working as it should.

rom will be released tomorrow evening (not sure which timezone udk was talking abt tho o.O)

Guest sonojo
For what reason do you not believe the video from you tube is a leaked rom?

where is the Pinch to Zoom? in the video I don't see any pinch zoom.

Guest Jagdish

Was said over at XDAs that pinch to zoom works flawlessly, just a note on the discussion bout the Sense UI and how HTC did or did not change it, may i remind you that this is a leaked version and may not be the final version that will be laid out by HTC, maybe theyre looking into adding a couple of more things maybe they dont, i guess we'll know when it hits us via OTA...

Guest itachi46
Was said over at XDAs that pinch to zoom works flawlessly, just a note on the discussion bout the Sense UI and how HTC did or did not change it, may i remind you that this is a leaked version and may not be the final version that will be laid out by HTC, maybe theyre looking into adding a couple of more things maybe they dont, i guess we'll know when it hits us via OTA...

yea but developers can always add those potentially new features when it is released.... i think the difference between now and release is just testing and debugging stuff?

Guest spammyspam

I think most people here would be more than happy with a functional leak :). Will make transitioning to any official ROM that much easier.

Guest Barry Bradford
I think most people here would be more than happy with a functional leak :). Will make transitioning to any official ROM that much easier.

Arrgh i hate waiting :D lol

Come on Froyo / Sense :P

Guest nekromantik
just announced by the devs, will be released in next couple off hours

on one of the twitter accounts it is its up

but cant find it on his website

Rom In Up ;-)

23 minutes ago via web

Guest spammyspam
Cant wait....

All we need now is for Paul to release rooted version.

Peter

I'm assuming the ROM will be rooted already right?

Guest pfsykes
on one of the twitter accounts it is its up

but cant find it on his website

Keep looking and post when you find it

Peter

Guest the-fallen

@pfsykes

The ROM will already provide you root access (was written by one of the devs in the xda-developers Thread about the Droid ROM).

Guest pfsykes
@pfsykes

The ROM will already provide you root access (was written by one of the devs in the xda-developers Thread about the Droid ROM).

I did try the http://tinyurl.com/3xru6j7 02-jul-r21-modaco-custom-rom-for-htc-desire-with-online-kitchen-froyo-frf91 and found a few issues with bootup and performance when scroling for apps.

At least this version will have Sense UI included.

Peter

Guest the-fallen

I tried this one, too and had some problems as well.

But the ROM over at XDA seems to be a (leaked?) Desire-Specific ROM (so I guess because of the background-story of it). I hope it runs more stable.

The ROM you and I tried was taken from the NexusOne I guess, and with some adaptions to be usable on the Desire.

How ever, I will try this new ROM, too.

Guest pfsykes
I tried this one, too and had some problems as well.

But the ROM over at XDA seems to be a (leaked?) Desire-Specific ROM (so I guess because of the background-story of it). I hope it runs more stable.

The ROM you and I tried was taken from the NexusOne I guess, and with some adaptions to be usable on the Desire.

How ever, I will try this new ROM, too.

Do you have the link to the topic and download details.

Peter

Guest pfsykes
Its gonna be released at 22:00 tonight Italy time.

Perhaps by the time I wake up in the morning there will be an official MoDaCo release :)

Peter