UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest DistortedLoop
update: Yay, finally I did it successfully.

However, I would like to know how to mount sdcard on windows?

After I select mount, it only shows internal sd (G:), although F: (supposedly is external sd) is shown but it's not accessible?

so that means my 6Gb (FAT32) of external sd is not usable?

Operating system: windows xp

Re: your external FAT partition Is there data on it? Was it made as "primary" and at the front of the card?

You should be able to mount both internal and external sd cards after this fix. I have no problem with either.

With the sdcard in the phone, can you use Astro or ESexplorer or the like to browse to the /sdcard/sd folder? Is that folder even there? Is there data in it at all? Does the phone mount it (check in Settings of the phone where you mount/unmount sdcards).

Guest pantherc

I've sent you a message mimocan, would you open it please?

Thank you for your effort anyway.

Edited by pantherc

Guest myslee_ovi
Re: your external FAT partition Is there data on it? Was it made as "primary" and at the front of the card?

You should be able to mount both internal and external sd cards after this fix. I have no problem with either.

With the sdcard in the phone, can you use Astro or ESexplorer or the like to browse to the /sdcard/sd folder? Is that folder even there? Is there data in it at all? Does the phone mount it (check in Settings of the phone where you mount/unmount sdcards).

I can't mount the external card too...

My external card "mount/unmount" isn't shown in the Storage menu and i can use it in the filemanager under /sdcard/sd/ without problems.

All other features are shown and the size and usage is shown too.

post-336755-1279306228_thumb.pngpost-336755-1279306236_thumb.png

whats the problem?

(the ext4 partition is running properly)

Edited by myslee_ovi

Guest Kilack
[

Good idea. Maybe you should write them. :angry:

I agree instructions to undo would be nice, but on the other hand, if you're doing this kind of stuff you really ought to have some idea of what you're doing, and if you understand what you're doing, shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to undo. Break out the Google and brush up on mv and symlinks in linux commands to see what to do. Basically you want to break the symlink, then mv the database back to the original location.

Yeah thanks.... I wasn't really meaning for me...I unfortunately chose a career path where I'm stuck on a pc everyday and using linux a fair amount of those days.. but I don't have access to the first post and the same could be said for giving instructions to do it in the first place, if someone doesnt know how to move data and make a symlink then why post it?

Of course people that have no idea what they are doing are going to follow the instructions and why not? as long as they are accurate then there shouldnt be an issue and we want everyone to benefit from the goodness but its just good practice to leave a way of uninstalling things too.

No point in posting them elsewhere as it just gets buried in a giant thread and the question will just come up over and over again...

Guest truemagic

yes, FAT32(partition 1) is set to primary, but ext4 (partition 2) is set as primary as well, is it ok? :angry:

yes, I can use Astro/root explorer to browse /sdcard/sd and even move data/create folder in it.

Are you using windows xp? Or maybe windows would not recognise a external sdcard with 2 partitions in it? (should i set ext4 partition 2 as 'extended'?)

Guest KneoK

Flashed the JG5 firmware this afternoon, had to repeat the flash a couple of times 'cause at first I used the wrong PIT file, then I didn't select Re-Partitioning, then Odin couldn't find the COM port anymore, wouldn't flash JFF, blablabla. Finally managed to correctly flash JG5, partitioned a 16GB SDHC Class 4 nameless SD card with a large FAT32 and a 1,5GB ext4 partition, copied and symlinked the database and Market files as instructed in the first post and the phone is flying now. Step 3 of the I/O test in Quadrant took quite a while, but eventually finished. Pretty impressive:

JFF Firmware: 795

JG5 Firmware: 862

JG5 with Fix : 1344

Don't have a score for the original JF3 firmware, someone else with the stock firmware got a score of 762 so that's an increase of over 75% in the benchmark. Even better, the phone is fast as lightning. I can access both the internal SD card and the FAT32 partition from the external SD card in Windows and I've noticed no problems whatsoever since flashing to JG5 and moving the database and Market files.

Thanks a lot mimocan, toppertje :angry:

Edited by KneoK

Guest Kilack

While it is nice to have this option to speed up the phone.. I am wondering why the internal card has such poor performance.. We are seeing people with only class 2 external cards get huge performance boosts.

Surely the card that samsung used has to be at least capable of performing at class 2 speeds.

So what is the issue? is it the file system they used or flags that are set? or some other bottleneck?

Can the file system be changed on the internal card to also get performance boosts with a custom kernel?

It would be really nice to obviously not have to rely on using external cards for app storage.

Guest DistortedLoop
Yeah thanks.... I wasn't really meaning for me...I unfortunately chose a career path where I'm stuck on a pc everyday and using linux a fair amount of those days.. but I don't have access to the first post and the same could be said for giving instructions to do it in the first place, if someone doesnt know how to move data and make a symlink then why post it?

Only the first part of my post (the (part that that was smileyed) was directed at you specifically. The rest was intended for those who just start typing away in the terminal without any idea what the keystrokes will accomplish. I think people ought to do a little Googling before just blindly following a script, even from a trusted forum like this site. Notice how everyone who posts how-tos about hacking your phone include a disclaimer that this can brick your device and they're not responsible; there's a reason for that - it's risky stuff we do sometimes.

Of course people that have no idea what they are doing are going to follow the instructions and why not? as long as they are accurate then there shouldnt be an issue and we want everyone to benefit from the goodness but its just good practice to leave a way of uninstalling things too.

No point in posting them elsewhere as it just gets buried in a giant thread and the question will just come up over and over again...

The problem with just blindly following some instructions without any understanding of what you're doing (the generic you, not the kilack you) is that it's easy to make a mistake and screw things up on your phone, and then you're posting in the forum desperate for help because your phone's not working and you don't know what to do and you've got to wait for someone to repsond. Scan back a few pages or in a few other threads and see it happening right here.

Additonally, even with how-to-reverse-the-process instructions included, that won't save your butt if you're careless while typing in a script that you don't understand. Example, scroll back a few posts or pages. There's a guy who initially posted that he used the rm command in two separate places that he was supposed to mv or cp instead. Gladly, he didn't really do that, but if he had, no reverse-the-process instructions would have saved him, he would have erased both his /data/data directory and the backup he had of it with no way to get them back short of flashing the ROM again.

I think it's important that you at least try to understand what the command does before you start typing into the terminal with root/super-user permissions, you can really screw things up with root.

As far as getting buried in a thread, yes, that's a problem, but it's better to post them in the thread than not at all if the original poster hasn't included them. At least they're there to find with the search tool or someone saying "oh, yeah, I saw them a few pages back" when someone new comes along.

At any rate, I've written them, no one's said they're inaccurate, and they're there for others to follow now. Maybe mimocan will add them to the first post...

/rant off

Peace!

:angry:

Guest DistortedLoop
I can't mount the external card too...

My external card "mount/unmount" isn't shown in the Storage menu and i can use it in the filemanager under /sdcard/sd/ without problems.

All other features are shown and the size and usage is shown too.

whats the problem?

(the ext4 partition is running properly)

Is debugging mode set to on?

You were able to mount both internal and external prior to repartitioning the drive, right?

Try on another computer if you can.

I'm running out of ideas for you.

yes, FAT32(partition 1) is set to primary, but ext4 (partition 2) is set as primary as well, is it ok? :angry:

yes, I can use Astro/root explorer to browse /sdcard/sd and even move data/create folder in it.

Are you using windows xp? Or maybe windows would not recognise a external sdcard with 2 partitions in it? (should i set ext4 partition 2 as 'extended'?)

Yes, it's okay to have both FAT and EXT be primary, in fact it's a necessity I believe.

I'm on a Mac. I'll have to find an XP machine to double check. but no problems on the Mac. I'll get back to you when I have a chance on that. Surely others reading the thread are on XP and can comment.

Guest DistortedLoop
While it is nice to have this option to speed up the phone.. I am wondering why the internal card has such poor performance.. We are seeing people with only class 2 external cards get huge performance boosts.

Surely the card that samsung used has to be at least capable of performing at class 2 speeds.

So what is the issue? is it the file system they used or flags that are set? or some other bottleneck?

Can the file system be changed on the internal card to also get performance boosts with a custom kernel?

It would be really nice to obviously not have to rely on using external cards for app storage.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing originally about the internal memory, but who knows, maybe they used some cheap components or we early adopters got bad lots of memory. Either that, or there's an architectural design flaw in the i/o to the internal memory. We were discussing that as a possibility a few days ago in the other lag-fix thread. Not that we got anywhere with it.

Not all memory's created equally. My transcend Class 6 card can't seem to benchmark over the high 1400s, while others with different brands are posting 1600-1700 scores.

I'm going to search around the web later on to see if iFixit or anyone else has done a teardown of the Galaxy S and then see if they commented on what the memory is.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest Kilack
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing originally about the internal memory, but who knows, maybe they used some cheap components or we early adopters got bad lots of memory. Either that, or there's an architectural design flaw in the i/o to the internal memory. We were discussing that as a possibility a few days ago in the other lag-fix thread. Not that we got anywhere with it.

Not all memory's created equally. My transcend Class 6 card can't seem to benchmark over the high 1400s, while others with different brands are posting 1600-1700 scores.

I'm going to search around the web later on to see if iFixit or anyone else has done a teardown of the Galaxy S and then see if they commented on what the memory is.

Yes, it is turning out that kingston is pretty horrid stuff and best avoided. Sandisk seems to be a winner from what people are reporting, case of you pay for what you get. Kingston being one of the cheapest brands.

Guest truemagic

With FAT32+Ext4 on sdcard, can anyone use it (not putting into phone) with windows?

I mean after I partitioned my sdcard to FAT32+Ext4 with paragon partition manager pro 2010, my windows could no longer recognize my sdcard. Is this normal??

Guest Rithina

Hm..my trenscent class 6 4GB is getting 1.6k scores..

Edited by Rithina

Guest dagrim1

Crap, I accidently made the ext4 the 1st partition and fat32 the second...

The card still works in the phone and I haven't tried the rest of the fix yet, but is there a way to turn this around? Windows doesn't recognize the sd card anymore, gparted live doesn't seem to either... Tried a knoppix cd with no luck...

Any ideas?

Guest Kilack
Crap, I accidently made the ext4 the 1st partition and fat32 the second...

The card still works in the phone and I haven't tried the rest of the fix yet, but is there a way to turn this around? Windows doesn't recognize the sd card anymore, gparted live doesn't seem to either... Tried a knoppix cd with no luck...

Any ideas?

if gparted wont recognise it.. then no.. no ideas :angry:

seems very strange.. what did you use to create the partitions?

With FAT32+Ext4 on sdcard, can anyone use it (not putting into phone) with windows?

I mean after I partitioned my sdcard to FAT32+Ext4 with paragon partition manager pro 2010, my windows could no longer recognize my sdcard. Is this normal??

windows should recognise the fat32 portion of it whether you plug it in separately or mount it via the phone. use gpart, it's very easy to do, at least on the gui version.

Guest broona

Just tried this, setup 6.5gb FAT32 and 1.5gb EXT4 partitions in Gparted, installed the .tar file to PDA with Odin, and get the following errors at command prompt in Windows 7 64bit Pro :-

'C:\adb>adb shell

$ su -

busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

busybox mv /data/data /data/data.bak

busybox ln -s /disk/data /data/datasu -

busybox ln -s /disk/data /data/data

Permission denied

$ cp: cannot create directory '/disk/data': Permission denied

$ mv: cannot rename '/data/data': Permission denied

$ ln: /data/data/data: Permission denied

$'

Running JG5, rooted with Superuser+su+busybox from samdroid, any ideas please, totally new to this adb stuff, never used it on my Hero?! :angry:

Guest dagrim1
if gparted wont recognise it.. then no.. no ideas :angry:

seems very strange.. what did you use to create the partitions?

Used paragon hard disk manager... Gonna play around with it some more. Downloaded another linux live cd and if I plug the phone in (mass storage mode) it at least recognizes the fat32 partition. The cardreader doesn't see it at all though.

Meh, that should teach me to read more carefully next time :D

well finally got around to testing this. all i can say is WOW! definitely not a placebo effect. couple it with a good lowmem setting this thing flies. installing stuff, moving between tasks, live wallpaper previews, market etc. all very noticeable improvements.

but from browsing this thread, so far notice several issues reported:-

1) higher battery consumption

2) sdcard warmer

3) certain program settings not carried over after reboot.

4) hang at quandrant test 3/4 (io test)

5) market issues - not enough space (fixable; see pg 1)

other concerns theorised but not confirmed

1) shorten life of sd card due to heavier usage

will test it out over the weekend. anyone else who has this fix running for longer please contribute your feedbacks.

thanks.

Just tried this, setup 6.5gb FAT32 and 1.5gb EXT4 partitions in Gparted, installed the .tar file to PDA with Odin, and get the following errors at command prompt in Windows 7 64bit Pro :-

'C:\adb>adb shell

$ su -

busybox ln -s /disk/data /data/datasu -

busybox ln -s /disk/data /data/data

Permission denied

$ cp: cannot create directory '/disk/data': Permission denied

$ mv: cannot rename '/data/data': Permission denied

$ ln: /data/data/data: Permission denied

$'

Running JG5, rooted with Superuser+su+busybox from samdroid, any ideas please, totally new to this adb stuff, never used it on my Hero?! :angry:

make very sure your ext4 is correctly mounted by the phone. try going to your /disk and see if there are stuff there? if not, likely that it is not mounted correctly for some reason.

Guest broona
make very sure your ext4 is correctly mounted by the phone. try going to your /disk and see if there are stuff there? if not, likely that it is not mounted correctly for some reason.

Do I do that on the phone or in adb? If that's in adb, how would I do that, as I say, total noob to this!

Guest Kilack
well finally got around to testing this. all i can say is WOW! definitely not a placebo effect. couple it with a good lowmem setting this thing flies. installing stuff, moving between tasks, live wallpaper previews, market etc. all very noticeable improvements.

but from browsing this thread, so far notice several issues reported:-

1) higher battery consumption

2) sdcard warmer

3) certain program settings not carried over after reboot.

4) hang at quandrant test 3/4 (io test)

5) market issues - not enough space (fixable; see pg 1)

other concerns theorised but not confirmed

1) shorten life of sd card due to heavier usage

will test it out over the weekend. anyone else who has this fix running for longer please contribute your feedbacks.

thanks.

1) possibly, not sure on the power requirements of sd cards though someone can probably shed some light there, it is all documented.

2) no problem there.

3) that is an issue with some cards and part of the problem with number 4 i think

4) yes some cards seem to be a bit flakey.. kingston especially...

cards will last for ages, and who cares if an external card dies after a year (unlikely)? its external, replace it, far better than to wear out an internal one :angry:

by the time it wears out, the galaxy s will be like an atari :D

Guest Techno79

I've read most of this thread but what I wanted to know is what happens if you remove or change the SD card? Is the phone still usable or does the phone not work?

Also, is anyone able to upload a youtube video on the improved UI speed so I can get a feel for how quick this really is? Thanks

Edited by Techno79

Guest Kilack
I've read most of this thread but what I wanted to know is what happens if you remove or change the SD card? Is the phone still usable or does the phone not work?

Also, is anyone able to upload a youtube video on the improved UI speed so I can get a feel for how quick this really is? Thanks

You would have to copy the apps back onto the internal storage before changing sd cards, only takes a few seconds and remove the symlink.

It would be great if Paul adds a script to the rest of his mcr scripts that copies the data to the external card... (if its not there already) or copies it back to the internal storage..

Guest DistortedLoop
You would have to copy the apps back onto the internal storage before changing sd cards, only takes a few seconds and remove the symlink.

It would be great if Paul adds a script to the rest of his mcr scripts that copies the data to the external card... (if its not there already) or copies it back to the internal storage..

That's a great idea. Paul hasn't endorsed this method yet, that I can tell, though he's expressed interest in both the kernel and the method earlier. I haven't noticed him report back on trying either yet, though.

In the meanwhile, if anyone wanted to write and add them to their own phone, Paul's scripts are conveniently placed in the /ase folder on the internal sdcard. Just write your script and place it there, should show up in the menu. (Don't worry my friend, not going down that path we went with the reverse instructions earlier! ;) )

Well, that's interesting. I run a lot of background crap (calltrack, drocap, beautiful widgets, finance widgets, etc)...perhaps I should task kill everything to see if the card will benchmark. That's just academic, though. The device flies, and 1400+ scores are perfectly acceptable for everyday use with all my background stuff running...they are after all, almost double what everything else out there except N1 with Froyo are getting.

1) possibly, not sure on the power requirements of sd cards though someone can probably shed some light there, it is all documented.

2) no problem there.

3) that is an issue with some cards and part of the problem with number 4 i think

4) yes some cards seem to be a bit flakey.. kingston especially...

cards will last for ages, and who cares if an external card dies after a year (unlikely)? its external, replace it, far better than to wear out an internal one :angry:

by the time it wears out, the galaxy s will be like an atari :D

I concur 100% with kilack's response there.

A few pages back someone mentioned concern over wearing the card out because some people claim apps2sd wears out cards faster. I 'm dubious of those claims to begin with, but suspect it's cheap cards that are the issue. I also am not concerned because even quality cards are relatively inexpensive, and I'll be on to a better, faster, sexier phone in six to eight months anyways. Hopefully said newer phone won't have these issues where internal app storage space and speeds require hacking into the external card to fix!