How to update the radio

Guest whyleya

Guest whyleya

Hi all,

I have a rooted desire with MCR r3.1 and radio version 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2

I would like to play about with changing the radio. How do I go about doing this and any recommendations on which one is best?

Cheers

Guest madmic
Hi all,

I have a rooted desire with MCR r3.1 and radio version 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2

I would like to play about with changing the radio. How do I go about doing this and any recommendations on which one is best?

Cheers

I'm using 32.41.00.32U_5.08.00.04 - you basically put the zipped radio update on the root of your SD card and flash as you normally would in recovery.. a word of warning though - no matter how much you think it isn't working / has stalled you must not touch the phone before it is back loaded to Android again... the flashing of a radio can reboot the phone a few times, this is normal and expected - if you interrupt the flashing you'll end up with a brick! Sorry to sound dramatic, but that is the simple truth I'm afraid...

If you move to a radio 5.xx.xx.x then you may as well move the phone to FroYo, once you've gone over you'll never look back :angry: I strongly reccomend you use the kitchen here on Madaco it is simply the best rom I've tried for everyday use :D

Enjoy - but remember - flashing radio = patience or brick...

Edited by madmic

Guest whyleya
I'm using 32.41.00.32U_5.08.00.04 - you basically put the zipped radio update on the root of your SD card and flash as you normally would in recovery.. a word of warning though - no matter how much you think it isn't working / has stalled you must not touch the phone before it is back loaded to Android again... the flashing of a radio can reboot the phone a few times, this is normal and expected - if you interrupt the flashing you'll end up with a brick! Sorry to sound dramatic, but that is the simple truth I'm afraid...

If you move to a radio 5.xx.xx.x then you may as well move the phone to FroYo, once you've gone over you'll never look back :angry: I strongly reccomend you use the kitchen here on Madaco it is simply the best rom I've tried for everyday use :D

Enjoy - but remember - flashing radio = patience or brick...

Thankyou for the informative reply. I may look at moving to Froyo then. Is there any easy way of getting my phone back to how it is setup now with all the apps and their settings once I've upgraded? I've only just set the damn thing back up lol.

Cheers

Guest rassha
Nandroid

does Nandroid include radio update, or not?

If not, is it safe to flash radio back from 5.xxx to 4.xxx (in case of warranty issue)

Guest madmic
does Nandroid include radio update, or not?

If not, is it safe to flash radio back from 5.xxx to 4.xxx (in case of warranty issue)

Nandroid backup wont enable you to restore your apps and settings - if you did that it would restore your phone to the previous ROM...

I use Titanium Backup, this can (and does) restore your apps and settings nice and easily.. as for nandroid backing up the radio, I'm not sure... personally I wouldn't 'mess' witht he radios much, I move to the newer ones when the ROM I'm using says to or it has been out for a while and tried and tested - keeping on flashing the radio is too much like slapping brick-fate in the face with a wet fish for me...

But take a nandroid backup before flashing any ROM... and def get a copy of MTD0 (the boot partition) as this is very useful is you happen to get usb bricked - rare but you'll wish you had one if you usb brick!

Guest EddyOS

Yeah, but surely that's better than risk a backup which then DOESN'T restore apps/data correctly...I always wipe before flashing a new ROM anyway, guarantees things working that way

Guest madmic
Yeah, but surely that's better than risk a backup which then DOESN'T restore apps/data correctly...I always wipe before flashing a new ROM anyway, guarantees things working that way

nothing better than a full wipe before flashing... I've had weird stuff happen when I've not wiped...