Help With Dead Computer

Guest Epic-Emodude

Guest igor_anta
Well, some systems have a quick boot feature, that doesn't display any POST output or power on screen, only a black screen directly followed by the OSs bootscreen. If that's the case the problem could still be related to windows - I didn't think of that earlier =/

But he should at least hear the POST beep, or see any HDD activity etc. Also he should here the startup sound ... if the PC booted up he surely would have noticed it. So I guess the system halts with an error. If the beeper isn't working or unplugged ther's also no way for him the hear a possible error message from POST.

Best regards,

BB

I agree, if there is no beep the problem is that he made mistakes connecting the new hardware with the Power Supply, or simply that there is not enough power for the whole config (but 400W seems to be good enough for the new graphics card). I know the problem ogiogi is talking about, it always happened with my girlfriend's PC but if that's the case than it goes after the beep, seems like the PC is working but nothing on screen.

Guest BigBearMDC
I agree, if there is no beep the problem is that he made mistakes connecting the new hardware with the Power Supply, or simply that there is not enough power for the whole config (but 400W seems to be good enough for the new graphics card). I know the problem ogiogi is talking about, it always happened with my girlfriend's PC but if that's the case than it goes after the beep, seems like the PC is working but nothing on screen.

I think if he connected the hardware wrong he would here an error beep. Especially for graphic cards the beep code is nearly the same on every mainboard. I once had a similar problem: my PC wouldn't boot and didn't go past POST. The problem was a wrong configured harddisk. If I remember that correctly I had installed two drives as master on the same bus. Make sure your drives are jumpered correctly (if possible don't use cable select). You could also try formatting the HDD that's making problems.

I already repaired a LOT of computers successfully :(

Best regards,

BB

Guest KiSUAN

No matter what, Windows can never make your monitor state permanent, once you exit windows whatever state it was thanks to windows will be no more.

Hibernate is a state of windows not the PC, the PC is hardware, as long as there is a signal going out the VGA connector the monitor will show something. Bios is out of windows no matter what, you will never end with no signal do to windows, simply because you are out of windows and it has not been loaded.

Besides windows enter in hibernation when it's already loaded, not when it loads. Also, the driver update problem is with resolution, wich is modified within windows, nothing to do with post or bios. Besides Bios and post is by default and unchangeable 800x600 256 coulours, as long as the pc runs and its al peachy you will always get signal and image, no matter what.

From what Epic said he never get to windows, less updating drivers, and in any case if he power down the machine by soft or phisical, when it starts again it shows the bios, post and other, so please stop with this.

Regarding quick boot, it always shows the bios splash, you always get signal and see the monitor turns on, no matter how "fast" the rig is, and being realistic the machine of Epic is a piece of crap and you most certanly take a quick nap every time you turn it on.

Back to you problem Epic, as i told you before, you have another part of the computer that is broke, and the onboard video ain`t broken.

And since people is displaying their background in PCs... I work as IT service in a Computer Hardware Distributor for 2 years now, working with PCs 10 years now, i assemble 10 pcs a day and reapair 3 on average, deal with resselers, rma, assist in hardware and soft configuration, extreme overclocker, modder and more.

Edited by KiSUAN

Guest ogiogi
No matter what, Windows can never make your monitor state permanent, once you exit windows whatever state it was thanks to windows will be no more.

Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it can't happen. And the hibernating link was the first google result u can search some more and find more results.

Edited by ogiogi

Guest KiSUAN

I dont have to experience something, i know how it works. Please stop, with that non argument, i already explain to you in a very basic way and bad english how it works.

Edited by KiSUAN

Guest BigBearMDC

That's true, as long as Windows doesn't cause any physical damage to your hardware - and Windows is pretty unlikely to do that, I never saw this in real life - there is now way that the monitor stands black after a reboot. Although regarding ACPI, the whole computer enters a new power state when you hibernate or switch to standby. But standby is not shutting down the PC, and when the PC is shut down ACPI is also. Furthermore ACPI gets loaded after POST and the BIOS summary screen, so there's absolutely no way that such a Windows related problem can resist a clean reboot. I'm though pretty sure that I saw systems before that can disabke any notification like the BIOS screen etc. I might be wrong also...

Guest ogiogi

OK. I'll make a video of it when i can. The PC boots BTW you can hear windows boot sound just the screen doesn't come on. Just stays in standby.

Guest KiSUAN

If you simply disable the bios screen logo, the only thing it does is that insted of showing the pic of the board manufacture you see the bios splash ,summary screen about your system's configuration and so on.

Guest BigBearMDC
If you simply disable the bios screen logo, the only thing it does is that insted of showing the pic of the board manufacture you see the bios splash ,summary screen about your system's configuration and so on.

Yeah as I said I might be wrong also.

I thought my older PC was capable of disabling all output.

I just mean I saw PC's which have the BIOS saved on a diskette which is rediciolus :(

You never know what those manufactures get in mind when they're bored ...

Guest Epic-Emodude

To clear a few things up, here's the full story.

Last Saturday my pc running since 7 installed a driver for the monitor. This made the resolution go really low so I decided to use my graphics card. When I put it in the computer, it would not start up, so I took it out again. It still would not start. I found out that the psu was dead so today I bought a new one (icute 400w psu from Maplins).

I put this in the computer with exactly the same setup as before bar the psu (no graphics card) and it would not start. I can get the pc to boot although I have to disconnect the 80gb hdd with win

Edited by Epic-Emodude

Guest KiSUAN

First take all the components out of the case, PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDs, CDRW and VGA.

Take the CPU from the motherboard and memory too, place them again properly.

Place the components on a table, plug the motherboard to PSU and the hard drive with windows, plug monitor to on-board video if you have, if not to the dedicated VGA.

Turn the PC ON.

Report for further instruction.

Edited by KiSUAN

Guest Epic-Emodude
Oh god that PSU is going to be deadly, just fyi.

Have you looked at the jumpers on the HDD?

Deadly as in really good, or it will kill something?

It's nothing to do with jumpers. It's only when the power is plugged in to the hdd that it won't boot.

Guest Epic-Emodude
First take all the components out of the case, PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDs, CDRW and VGA.

Take the CPU from the motherboard and memory too, place them again properly.

Place the components on a table, plug the motherboard to PSU and the hard drive with windows, plug monitor to on-board video if you have, if not to the dedicated VGA.

Turn the PC ON.

Report for further instruction.

Done. pc won't boot, probably because of hard drive...

Guest Rem1x
Deadly as in really good, or it will kill something?

It's nothing to do with jumpers. It's only when the power is plugged in to the hdd that it won't boot.

It will kill something. My PSU, (it was decent actually) killed two motherboards, and two graphics cards. I know what I'm on about, heh.

Jumpers on the HDD, was what I was refering to.

Guest BigBearMDC

You have a rather old motherboard. Try making a CMOS reset and turn on the computer without any drivers or graphiccards. Just plug your monitor in the onboard VGA port and see if your PC works again. What could also be damages is you RAM or ramslot. If you have more than one RAM module try pulling one out and place it on the different slots. Do that for every RAM module you have. If that doesn't work either you have only 3 components that can be damages (assuming your new PSU is working properly): CPU, RAM, Mainboard. With thus configuration your PC won't boot anyway, but it should halt at ''insert boot disk an press enter'' ir something similar.

Best regards,

BB

Guest Epic-Emodude
You have a rather old motherboard. Try making a CMOS reset and turn on the computer without any drivers or graphiccards. Just plug your monitor in the onboard VGA port and see if your PC works again. What could also be damages is you RAM or ramslot. If you have more than one RAM module try pulling one out and place it on the different slots. Do that for every RAM module you have. If that doesn't work either you have only 3 components that can be damages (assuming your new PSU is working properly): CPU, RAM, Mainboard. With thus configuration your PC won't boot anyway, but it should halt at ''insert boot disk an press enter'' ir something similar.

Best regards,

BB

I have done a cmos reset and its done nothing. I have tried different ram setups and nothing. Any other ideas?

Guest BigBearMDC
I have done a cmos reset and its done nothing. I have tried different ram setups and nothing. Any other ideas?

Does your computer even switch on?

Best regards,

BB

Guest DanWilson
Yap :(

How?

I take it Paul missed the "Make Chef" button and hit the "Make Mod" one by mistake.

Ahem. Can I be a chef Paul? *Rubs hands enthusiastically* Ahem.

Guest Epic-Emodude
Does your computer even switch on?

Best regards,

BB

It does switch on when the psu isn't connected to the 80gb hdd, but I think it errors instantly and freezes.