FROYO UPDATE PROBLEM (BOOT LOOP / WRONG RADIO))

Guest LUTRAM

Guest LUTRAM

The fix I used is as follows some of the procedure may not be necessary I just did it for good measure and to be safe!

Download either ROM from: http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/

RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.15.405.4_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_122704.exe

RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_sign

d.exe

Turn off phone

Turn off your HTC Desire, and then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box.

Navigate to 'BOOTLOADER' option and then to 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move up and down menu and the power button to select the option.

Your phone will enter recovery (your phone will show a red triangle on a black screen) press and hold 'Volume Up' then tap 'Power

Your device should now be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe data/factory reset' option.

Then reboot phone using the reboot option.

Remove SIMCARD and insert GOLDCARD into phone (search how to make a gold card if you don’t have one)

Turn on phone and turn on USB Debugging under (settings/applications/development)

Connect phone to pc and run/open RUU download

Allow phone to reboot itself, then check system software updates manually and install update.

After update is installed phone will reboot and will then show a updating window allow it to run.

Turn of phone insert SIMCARD and replace your memory card or leave gold card which ever you prefer.

Restart phone and you should be good to go, check software information and you should be on android version 2.2 with a baseband version 32.43.00.32u_5.09.00.20 or there abouts !

Note: I left sim out as I noticed it said orange update when sim was in and I did OTA update, when I removed sim it said update downloading, not sure if there is a orange update but did not want to risk getting a branded update!

Also update.zip did not work for me when stuck in boot loop, my laptop also had problems recognising my phone when phone was rebooting.

Also as Rexton said be careful about phone turning off during update, my first attempt ended up like this and had to try again, it didn’t cause any problems but just in case get the RUU running as soon as your phone is turned on.

Guest tsukasa21

My problem with OTA update is now solved (I have a debranded Orange Desire)

I just place the update.zip into my SDCARD (Goldcard this time)

Then go in recovery menu and select recovery

Press up and power (if i remember correctly) and launch the OTA 2.2 (without downgrading) update again

And now it's OK :)

Guest jatt21boy
Are you on Orange Jatt?

That 1.21.405.2 update seems to break wifi you see which then doesn't allow me to updated to 2.2 as I can't connect to my router.

I have debranded orange phone with 3UK sim card. The wifi problem occurred to me aswell. Make sure the goldcard is in the phone before update.

Guest slimboyfatjack

Jatt21boy

I'm trying to follow your instructions and I'm getting an error that my Bootloader is the wrong version? Any ideas?

I think I've got the 0.80 Bootloader and the error when I remove the USB cable is:

"RUU

Main Version is Older!

Update Fail!"

I'm open to any suggestions at present - it was an O2 branded Desire, I loaded the HTC stock ROM a couple of days ago, and then got the 2.2 OTA this morning. It went into a reboot loop - according to the forums here that's a radio issue - I've managed to revert back to something approaching stock... but I tried (and kinda managed) to Root it - and upgrade the radio to try to fix the froyo upgrade issues - but now I don't get offered the OTA upgrade again??

Versions are:

Firmware:2.1 Update 1

Baseband: 32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20

Kernel: 2.6.29-82821fb5 htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build No: 1.21.405.1 CL172503 test-keys

Software: 1.21.405.1

Help me please anyone??

Edited by slimboyfatjack

Guest slimboyfatjack

LUTRAM - you are a GOD! YOur instructions have just worked an absolute treat for me..... THANK YOU!

I left my SIM out for the RUU install, and left the Goldcard in until it was all completed to be 100% sure.... I also rebooted manually after the RUU before grabbing the OTA update to ensure that it was all "happy".

Also - I used the SIGNED versionof the RUU file - the other one wasn't playing at all for me.....

Hope these notes will help anyone else in the same boat!

Thanks again!!

:) :D :D :P :P

Edited by slimboyfatjack

Guest bluebirds
The fix I used is as follows some of the procedure may not be necessary I just did it for good measure and to be safe!

RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_sign

d.exe

Turn off phone

Turn off your HTC Desire, and then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box.

Navigate to 'BOOTLOADER' option and then to 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move up and down menu and the power button to select the option.

Your phone will enter recovery (your phone will show a red triangle on a black screen) press and hold 'Volume Up' then tap 'Power

Your device should now be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe data/factory reset' option.

Remove SIMCARD and insert GOLDCARD into phone (search how to make a gold card if you don’t have one)

Turn on phone and turn on USB Debugging under (settings/applications/development)

Allow phone to reboot itself, then check system software updates manually and install update.

After update is installed phone will reboot and will then show a updating window allow it to run.

Turn of phone insert SIMCARD and replace your memory card or leave gold card which ever you prefer.

Restart phone and you should be good to go, check software information and you should be on android version 2.2 with a baseband version 32.43.00.32u_5.09.00.20 or there abouts !

Note: I left sim out as I noticed it said orange update when sim was in and I did OTA update, when I removed sim it said update downloading, not sure if there is a orange update but did not want to risk getting a branded update!

Also update.zip did not work for me when stuck in boot loop, my laptop also had problems recognising my phone when phone was rebooting.

Also as Rexton said be careful about phone turning off during update, my first attempt ended up like this and had to try again, it didn’t cause any problems but just in case get the RUU running as soon as your phone is turned on.

You have become my new hero, although I did have to do it slightly differently because my pc wouldn't do the RUU install.

Instead, I downloaded this : http://liveimage.htc.com/OTA_Bravo_Froyo_H...bcrut4wrv30.zip & renamed it update.zip & put into the root of my goldcard.

I then selected "Apply sdcard:update.zip" in the recovery screen.

Thanks once again for your advice because I don't think I would smiling now without it.

Guest rexton270
You have become my new hero, although I did have to do it slightly differently because my pc wouldn't do the RUU install.

Instead, I downloaded this : http://liveimage.htc.com/OTA_Bravo_Froyo_H...bcrut4wrv30.zip & renamed it update.zip & put into the root of my goldcard.

Thanks once again for your advice because I don't think I would smiling now without it.

Nothing is working with my crap Desire... Is it cursed or WTF?!!!

Stuck with 2.2 whatever I do... close to flush it down WC...

UPDATE : did it :) problem was the memory card!!! You need class 4 or 6.

Made goldcard reflashed 2.1 run update (goldcard must be in the phone!) downloaded 2.2 and everything is OK.

Edited by rexton270

Guest sniper3359
Had same probs as above

Entered recovery and did full wipe, then reboot

Removed SIMCARD and inserted GoldCard

Downgraded to 2.1 using RUU

Did OTA update to froyo 2.2

left goldcard in and sim out until it updated after reboot

Removed GoldCard and Replaced SimCard

All running fine now

hi every one

what i don insert my gold card and i took the sim card then i use

RUU_Bravo_HTC_Europe_1.15.405.3_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_121865

to Downgraded to 2.1........ but i cant it say

error [140] BOOTLOADER VERSION ERROR

The ROM Update Utility cannot update your Android phone

Please get the correct ROM Update Utility and try again

so what i do please any one can help by explain in details!!!!!!

Edited by sniper3359

Guest Sammers23
FROYO Update Problem

Applied update over the air, phone rebooted and installed update, then reboots and says:

“ loading...”

Then after a minute or so says:

“Process system is not responding (with ‘force close / wait’ option)

Phone then gets into a reboot loop which ever option you choose

Any ideas or help?

Phone info:

Android version 2.2

Baseband version 32.36.00.28u_4.06.00.02_2

Kernel version 2.6.29-0cb9f166 (htc-kernal@and18-2 #1

Build number 2.09.405.8 cl218634

Software number 2.09.405.8

ISSUE NOW FIXED SEE BELOW FOR SOLUTIONS

I also had this issue on a debranded phone (previously O2 debranded using RUU.exe to stock HTC WWE version) and fixed it by rolling back with RUU using goldcard and installing the OTA update as a zip file in recovery with goldcard. Everything now works EXCEPT the Market. Market forces a reboot every time it tries to install a new app and app isn't installed on reboot. Any ideas?

Android 2.2

Baseband: 32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20

Build: 2.09.405.8

On Vodafone UK

Guest sniper3359

d.exe

Turn off phone

hi LUTRAM i done exactly what u did but till i connect to pc and run/open RUU download

and it start as showing on the picture that i upload it it stops and as u see it say error [140]........

i wonder did u use the same SD card that came with the HTC Desire the 4GB...or other one...becouse am using the 4GB

its looks like the phone cannot recognise the SD card i went to the camera and it say (( please insert an SD card ))

so i think that's why i got an error because the phone cant recognised the gold card SD card

by the way i try the same card in to other mobile phone it works perfect

i got similar as you got when u had the problem at the first time

Phone info:

Android version 2.2

Baseband version 32.36.00.28u_4.06.00.02_2

Kernel version 2.6.29-0cb9f166 (htc-kernal@and18-2 #1

Build number 2.09.405.8 cl218634

i also tried what bluebirds done by:

I downloaded this : http://liveimage.htc.com/OTA_Bravo_Froyo_H...bcrut4wrv30.zip & renamed it update.zip & put into the root of my goldcard.

when i done that i got a lot of lines of error i think in yellow

is it because the SD card as what (rexton270) said:

UPDATE : did it problem was the memory card!!! You need class 4 or 6.

Please any one can help me

71034575.png

1.bmp

Guest LUTRAM

It looks like your GoldCard is not working, insert card directly to pc and do a full format, insert back into phone and and follow procedure again for making a gold card, I used HXD to copy and paste gold card image on SD card while connected directly to Laptop (used the 4GB card that came with phone)

How to create a Gold Card

This guide explains how to create a Gold Card. A Gold Card is a special micro SD card which, when inserted into your device, allows you to flash RUU files with a different CID to your own device. For example, if you own a T-Mobile branded device, this will allow you to flash a generic HTC ROM.

Requirements

• Spare micro SD card (some memory cards don’t allow Hex Editing)

• Windows PC (recommended)

• ADB (part of the tools folder of the SDK included in the folder)

• HxD Hex Editor (included in the folder)

• Win RAR to decompress / extract / open files (not included visit www.rarlab.com)

Step by step instructions

• Insert the Micro SD card into your computer and Format it to ‘FAT32 format’.

• After it has been formatted, put the micro SD card into your phone and switch the phone on / boot up the device.

• On your phone go to (settings, applications, development) and turn on USB Debugging.

• Extract the Android SDK.Zip file (included in folder) to C:\AndroidSDK (name the new folder created 'AndroidSDK' in the C directory. (You will need an

unzip utility to do this, you will also need to manually type C:\AndroidSDK as the save location deleting the default save as option, this is important).

• Connect your phone to the computer using a USB Data Cable, your phone should say USB debugging at the top of the screen and will start installing the drivers (if not don’t worry at this stage, however you may need to double check all drivers are installed successfully if the procedure fails and repeat the above steps after restating your computer and your phone).

• Open the start search menu on your computer and type CMD and then press enter (this will open the command prompt).

• At the command promt type cd\ and press enter

• Then type cd AndroidSDK\tools\ and press enter

• Then type adb devices and press enter (you should see a serial number; this is the serial number of your phone and means you are ready to proceed). (If you don’t see a serial number it means your drivers have not installed and you need to restart your computer and phone and repeat the steps above).

• Now type adb shell and press enter.

• Then type cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid and press enter. You should get a very long number which looks like this: 532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402. Make a note of this number!

• Visit http://hexrev.soaa.me/ paste in the long number and click submit, you will receive a new code number generated, make a note of this number.

• Visit http://revskills.de/pages/goldcard.html enter your new generated code number and create your gold card image, which will be e-mailed to you (follow all on screen instructions).

• Check your email and save your Gold Card file to your desktop.

• Install and open the HxD hex editor (included in the folder). If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you must run or open the application as administrator.

• Go to the 'Extra' menu in Hex editor and select 'Open Disk'. Under physical disk, select Removable Disk (your micro SD card), uncheck 'Open as Read only' and click OK. Note that you should select physical disk NOT the logical disk. This is very important!

• Go to the 'Extra' menu again and select 'Open Disk Image'. Open the gold card image that you received by email and have saved to your desktop (Press OK when prompted for 'Sector Size' (selecting 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks).

• You should now have two tabs - one is your removable disk, the other is your gold card image

• Click on the gold card image tab. Go to the 'Edit' menu, choose 'Select All' then select the 'Edit' menu again and select 'Copy'.

• Click on the 'Removable Disk' tab. Highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), then click on the 'Edit' menu and select 'Paste Write'.

• Click on the 'File' menu and select 'Save', accepting the popup warning.

• Close hex editor and test the Gold Card, click to open the card, if the computer opens the card we are done if t asks to format the card you will need to repeat the procedure again.

• If all is ok you are ready to proceed with the ROM update procedure.

Note: if the memory card can’t be written, double check you have un-ticked the read only tab when you opened it, or try unplugging your phone and plugging it back in and selecting use as disk drive on your phone when it asks you to make a choice, or if still not working trying installing the memory card directly into the computer using a memory card reader and retrying, following the same procedure, if this fails you may need a different memory card as some memory cards won’t work for some reason with HEX editor.

Note: some antivirus software may stop the process working, there are some issues with 64bit computers.

Edited by LUTRAM

Guest browners
Had same probs as above

Entered recovery and did full wipe, then reboot

Removed SIMCARD and inserted GoldCard

Downgraded to 2.1 using RUU

Did OTA update to froyo 2.2

left goldcard in and sim out until it updated after reboot

Removed GoldCard and Replaced SimCard

All running fine now

Lutram, please can you be more specific with this process. I am new to this and have ended up in the same boat you did only my Desire had the Vodafon Firmware. This was unbranded/rooted using the same process, then I unrooted. All good until I brought down the OTA 2.2 update. Now my SD card is not recognised and the wifi doesnt work with the endless boot loop.

How did you Downgrade to 2.1 and can you link the files used ?

Really pulling my hair out here. 3 week old phone borked !!! Help please.

Other info for any experienced people :

Android Version 2.2

Baseband Version 32.41.00.32U_4.08.00.09

Kernal Version 2.6.29-0cb9f166 htc-kerneland18-2#1

Build Number 2.09.405.8 CL218634 release-keys

Browser version Webkit

Please help

Edit:- Also now when I plug the phone into the PC or laptop both are searching for devices drivers ?? I cannot even check to allow usb debugging etc as the SD card is not recognised by the phone. Tried several SD cards. This is not looking good.

Edited by browners

Guest LUTRAM

have you tried the procedure above of adding 2.2 rom to sd card and renaming it update.zip and install using recovery? it would not work for me but seems to have worked for others.

I had problems with laptop not recognising my phone also when I was in boot loop, took several attempts of unplugging and plugging in usb before it was recognised. wifi not working was also a side effect of the boot loop issue.

Best advise I can give is do a full clear/wipe in recovery and try the above procedures, if your gold card is working correctly there should not be any issues with downgrading software with the RUU file linked earlier in this post.

I have added gold card method above, a search on google or in modaco will link you up with the files you need

Guest browners

AT LASSTTT :) I have somehow managed to root my phone once again. It all works great wireless etc pheewwww.

Now I can start the UN-Rooting process again and get the OTA update WITH THE GOLD CARD INSERTED !

My Desire Software details are now:-

Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Baseband version: 32.36.0.28U_4.06.00.02_2

Kernal version: 2.6.29-82821fb5 htc-kernal@and18-2#1

Build number: 1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys

Software number: 1.15.405.4

Browser version: Webkit 3.1

Many thanks for all the advice sofar guys. Can I ask for advice on how best to Un-Root for enable me to grab an HTC OTAU.

From what I have read the update will not install on a rooted handset.

(almost scared to do anything now its back and working, but shall not give up now.)

Guest Parax77

Orange UK Debranded and unlocked.

OK so heres a Different solution...

after the OTA Failed and I got the 1-100% count with errors and no radio. I did the following to fix:

*use at your own risk*

I think I already had the WWE_1.21.405.2 with 4.06 radio

so did not bother with the RUU a second time, just downloaded:

http://liveimage.htc.com/OTA_Bravo_Froyo_H...bcrut4wrv30.zip

renamed as update.zip copied onto gold card

put gold card in phone

rebooted holding back

selected bootloader then recovery

pressued up and power to get menu

selected Load update.zip

at end of update (when prompted) rebooted from menu.

waited while green update screen showed.

phone rebooted itself

came back up with no signal upon unlock it did the 1-100% count took a while but no errors this time.

eventually it displayed a sucsessful update message and all is hunky dory.

now shows as:

Android 2.2

Baseband Version 32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20

replaced my usual card.

seems to have kept all my settings and data.

So maybe No need to reset/wipe and no need for the RUU.

*use at your own risk*

P.

Guest browners
Do full wipe in recovery, then run latest 2.1 RUU with goldcard inserted (unrooted in no time) :P

:P :) :D :D The smilies just about sum it up for me right now. THANKYOU !!!! I went for it and only had one small niggle. When installing the RUU it failed / stalled waiting on bootloader. From reading other posts I simply removed the usb plugged it in again and run the RUU again. Went like a dream.

I followed your steps to the word. Pulled down the OTA2.2 update and let it do its stuff. (takes quite a while to install was sh##ing myself waiting on it).

The Desire rebooted into perfect 2.2 Froyo. Rebooted again to make sure my luck was not just a one shot dream.

Once happy everything was ok switched off again and inserted a new 8gig SD and my SIM card. ( the Goldcard is being stored securely in case I need it for any fuuture updates )

I cannot thank you enough for having the patience to keep posting your steps.

Regards

PS. I have now spent almost 14 hours straight on this project, read countless pages and forum post from all over google. Learned a huge amount about Android, root and unroot and all the stuff in between. Dont give up guys.

Now to install all my apps again and get some dam sleep.

Edited by browners

Guest jason19991
Orange UK Debranded and unlocked.

OK so heres a Different solution...

after the OTA Failed and I got the 1-100% count with errors and no radio. I did the following to fix:

*use at your own risk*

I think I already had the WWE_1.21.405.2 with 4.06 radio

so did not bother with the RUU a second time, just downloaded:

http://liveimage.htc.com/OTA_Bravo_Froyo_H...bcrut4wrv30.zip

renamed as update.zip copied onto gold card

put gold card in phone

rebooted holding back

selected bootloader then recovery

pressued up and power to get menu

selected Load update.zip

at end of update (when prompted) rebooted from menu.

waited while green update screen showed.

phone rebooted itself

came back up with no signal upon unlock it did the 1-100% count took a while but no errors this time.

eventually it displayed a sucsessful update message and all is hunky dory.

now shows as:

Android 2.2

Baseband Version 32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20

replaced my usual card.

seems to have kept all my settings and data.

So maybe No need to reset/wipe and no need for the RUU.

*use at your own risk*

P.

I have same problem with my desire was wondering do i have to have a gold to do this and how do i make one or get one? I am truly a noob at this and need it explained step by step from beginning to end THANKS A BUNCH!

ps phone is UK version unbranded unlocked not rooted with exact same issues above. i have goldcard now but i get messaged that says e:cant open /cache/recovery/command. I need help bad please give me noob instructions on all this I really like this phonevand want to use it

Edited by jason19991

Guest firstin

I also have the same problem. i have an unbranded htc desire which i got from a parallel importer. think it is german ph tried updating with the same problems described above.

I made a gold card and have put a few roms on and the previous update rom. when i try to boot update. zip it says there are none found i also get the same error as the previous user. e:cant open /cache/recovery/command

This is driving me bonkers, please help im stuck at a dead end,

I will love you long time!!!!

Guest firstin
I also have the same problem. i have an unbranded htc desire which i got from a parallel importer. think it is german ph tried updating with the same problems described above.

I made a gold card and have put a few roms on and the previous update rom. when i try to boot update. zip it says there are none found i also get the same error as the previous user. e:cant open /cache/recovery/command

This is driving me bonkers, please help im stuck at a dead end,

I will love you long time!!!!

also this comes up on my phone

Bravo pvt1 ship s-on

hboot-0.80.0000

microp-031d

radio-4.06. 00.02_2

Edited by firstin

Guest JinkzUK

I'm having the same problems here too, upgrading to v2.2 either through the update.zip, or through the phone itself. It's not updating the baseband radio at all and it's still version 4, rather than 5, which is causing force close boxes to appear and the phone to reboot.

Followed everything in this post and nothing has worked so far! I've rooted to DJDroid etc in the past, I know the in's and outs, i'm just stuck in a loop that I can't update the radio because it's not rooted, and if I root it I can't get the 2.2 update!

Guest LUTRAM

Looks more like you have bought a branded handset which has been de-branded prior to your purchase, non branded (generic) handset will not require a goldcard.

I have just did another desire for a friend in a bootloop and the above procedure worked fine first time without any problems, I recommend you follow the above procedure I listed to downgrade to 2.1 then install 2.2 with goldcard (procedure for goldcard also above).

Guest JinkzUK

It's a T-mobile phone which I downgraded to a stock 2.1, and it let me upgrade fine, but obviously the radio just won't update. I'll probably just wait for the official T-mobile release, i've tried it every other way, through the gold card, through the phone, it just won't work at all...

Guest LUTRAM
It's a T-mobile phone which I downgraded to a stock 2.1, and it let me upgrade fine, but obviously the radio just won't update. I'll probably just wait for the official T-mobile release, i've tried it every other way, through the gold card, through the phone, it just won't work at all...

radio is not updating as your goldcard is not working