The Ultimate Pusle Mini Guide

Guest Danh2122

Guest Danh2122

As a few users are reporting, it is not recommended flashing the custom rom if you are using a mini other than the UK one

The ultimate Pulse mini user Guide

Just got a T-Mobile Pulse Mini, Wanna know how to make it much better, well this is your guide.

Contents

-- Installing a Custom Recovery

-- Preparing Your Phone

-- Installing a Custom Rom

-- Partitioning the SD Card for Apps2SD

-- Essential Apps and styling your Pulse mini

-- Installing Java Apps

-- FAQ

Thanks for reading, this guide will be updated when needed :)

Danh2122

Thanks to

--Damsmalldan

-- Gfourms

-- m2te

Edited by Danh2122

Guest Danh2122

Installing a Custom Recovery

Now to start we need to install (or Flash) a Custom Recovery.

Now to do this we need one of the Recovery images for the pulse mini.

I'll be using both in this guide but first i'll be using ClockWork Recovery, which you can download from here

While downloading put your Pulse mini into Fastboot

To do this

1. Turn off the phone

2. Hold Volume Down & Hold End Call Button (The red Phone on the front)

3. While Holding down the buttons Turn the phone on

4. The Phone is in Fastboot mode when it sticks on the T-Mobile Screen

5. You may get a Promt on your PC to install drivers. Let this happen as this is important.

Once downloaded Unzip the File it and run

-Install-Recovery-Windows ----If using Windows

-Install-Recovery-Mac.sh ----If using Mac

-Install-Recovery-Linux.sh ----If using Linux

Once This has run your Pulse mini has a new Recovery!

Edited by Danh2122

Guest Danh2122

Preparing your Phone

Before we Flash your Custom Rom, We need to back up a few things

First we want to back up the whole Original Rom by using ClockWork Recovery.

To Do this put your phone into recovery by Turning your phone on while holding Volume up and The green call button, When your phone vibrates, let go of the buttons and Android should Flash quickly then show a menu of options.

Scroll down to 'nandroid' using the D-Pad, Then choose Backup and let it run.

Once this is done Go back to the main menu and restart your phone.

Once your phone is loaded up again plug in the usb cable to the phone and your pc and choose file transfer.

Now copy over any important files from your sd card (e.g. Pictures, Video's etc...) aswell as the nandroid backup.

Also if your Mini is rooted (Here) you can download and run Titanium Backup from the market and backup all your apps.

Once done move over to the next step.

Edited by Danh2122

Guest Danh2122

Installing a Custom ROM

Now for the Moment of truth, Time to flash a Custom Rom.

In this guide i'll be using the MG Custom Rom, Which i'd advise to start downloading now.

When it has downloaded copy the whole thing to the root of the sd card.

Now put your device into Recovery mode again.

(To Do this put your phone into recovery by Turning your phone on while holding Volume up and The green call button)

In ClockWork Recovery Select Partitions Menu then Format Boot, System, Data then Cache. Then return back to the menu.

Select 'Install Zip from sdcard' then 'Choose Zip from sdcad' then Select the MG Custom Rom and let it to flash

When it has, Go back and restart the phone and let it boot, This may take a while so don't worry unless it isn't done within 5mins, if this happens leave your comments below and i'll try to help.

Guest Danh2122

Partitioning the SD Card for Apps2SD

MG Custom Rom comes with Apps2SD built in, this allows Apps to be store on the SD Card instead of the Internal Memory (Like in FroYo)

To set this up you'll need to Partition Your SD Card so now we need to flash AmonRA Recovery

Do this by Downloading it and following the same steps as the first Page...

Put your Pulse mini into Fastboot

To do this

1. Turn off the phone

2. Hold Volume Down & Hold End Call Button (The red Phone on the front)

3. While Holding down the buttons Turn the phone on

4. The Phone is in Fastboot mode when it sticks on the T-Mobile Screen

5. You may get a Promt on your PC to install drivers. Let this happen as this is important.

6.When the recovery has downloaded Unzip and open it,

Then Click

-Install-Recovery-Windows ----If using Windows

-Install-Recovery-Mac.sh ----If using Mac

-Install-Recovery-Linux.sh ----If using Linux

Now you have the New Recovery, Start The recovery by Turning on the phone while holding Volume up & Green Call Button.

When Recovery's up Go to 'Partition sdcard' then 'Partition sdcard' again Set the Swap-Size to 0MB and then Partition size to Either 256, 384 or 512, is best but this is up to you but don't put it above 1.5gb.

Then let it do it's stuff, restart the phone and all your apps should be on your sd card.

Edited by Danh2122

Guest Danh2122

Essential Apps and Making your Pulse mini look better

Now we have Everything Done behind the scenes, it's time to take the practical uses into account so now here's some links to guide's for some Essential Apps

--Installing App's via AppBrain

-- A bunch of really good apps which work on the Pulse Mini

-- Make your Pulse mini look better with Decals

Edited by Danh2122

Guest Danh2122

FAQ's And FeedBack

Q. What does Rooting Do?

A. Rooting allows full access to the System. Rooting is useful for apps which need more permissions (e.g Wi-Fi Tether, Overclock)

This is completly legal (Because Android is Open Source) unless copyrights are infringed, But doing so will void your warranty unless you restore the original ROM before returning your phone.

This is where you come in,

For any questions or feedback leave them below!

Edited by Danh2122

Guest CodeWarrior

Nice work Danh2122.

A couple of questions to start things off:

1. I don't see any information on rooting the device. Is this no longer necessary?

2. You use ClockWork for installing a custom recovery and AmonRA for partitioning the SD, can't you just use AmonRA for both steps?

Guest Danh2122
Nice work Danh2122.

A couple of questions to start things off:

1. I don't see any information on rooting the device. Is this no longer necessary?

2. You use ClockWork for installing a custom recovery and AmonRA for partitioning the SD, can't you just use AmonRA for both steps?

Hi Codewarrior

1.First off you don't need to root it as thats what the custom rom does

2. And about the two recoveries i had a few problems with AmonRA when trying to flash as sometime the Custom Rom's are signed and AmonRA only works with Signed Roms

Hope that clears a few things up. :)

Guest Azurren

Needs more colour! :)

Best to break the guide into many easy steps. Makes it easier when helping people as they can tell you exactly which step they are stuck on.

Good luck :D

Guest Jerry786

Why should i root my phone? Will it make it faster and increase performance?

Pondering whether to go for it or not but im a bit hesitant

Guest Azurren
Why should i root my phone? Will it make it faster and increase performance?

Pondering whether to go for it or not but im a bit hesitant

If you don't need root don't root it :)

(Some apps require root)

However installing a custom rom will make it look nice and run smoother.

Guest Danh2122
What about yuor rom in my Movistar Ivy. If I flash the rom... it can be of Movistar (Spain) or the rom is only for t-mobile.

I don't know about this so much ( as it isn't my Custom Rom), Try asking someone else or post the question on the Custom Rom Forum

Guest Hamijo

mmmm not working for me, when im done throught the process and turn on the phone again it shows the huawei logo twice and then a black screen.... later ask for my pincode and a message pops up saying the application CustomAPKsHidden closed unspectedly... or something like that, so i guess im going back and recover my backup

EDIT: Cant recover my backup it says the md5 chekcusms are wrong, so i tried doing a new backup and change the nandroid.md5 archive and still didnt work so i dont know what to do :)

Edited by Hamijo

Guest vijaalre
mmmm not working for me, when im done throught the process and turn on the phone again it shows the huawei logo twice and then a black screen.... later ask for my pincode and a message pops up saying the application CustomAPKsHidden closed unspectedly... or something like that, so i guess im going back and recover my backup

EDIT: Cant recover my backup it says the md5 chekcusms are wrong, so i tried doing a new backup and change the nandroid.md5 archive and still didnt work so i dont know what to do :)

I'm very sorry for your problem, perhaps you can fix it with this http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/prod...&treeId=37#

chosing your rom. Have a look at this http://acidrsd.blogspot.com/2010/07/reinst...awei-u8110.html

If your company is from Spain... as I see you have Selina from Yoigo. I hope you have the solution.

Edited by vijaalre

Guest Hamijo

yeah i saw it and downloaded the file from huawei page, but took sooo long and download 98.8 MB wich i do not know if is fine, but when i tried to restore them, the phone just says Upload failed, im downloading it again in case it downloads badly.... but i were able to uncompress the file... wich seems to be impossible if the file did download badly :S

i got a log in the dload folder but it doesnt say much....

**** SD download log ****

Failure: AMSS°æ±¾Æ¥Åäʧ°Ü.

Failure: operation did not succeed.

dload_sd_ram_data_proc->(retry >= DLOAD_RETRY) failed!

Edited by Hamijo

Guest Danh2122

Installing Java Apps

Java Apps on android are a pain so here's an easy quick guide to using java apps on Android

1) Download the Jar or Jad file

2) Head over to Here

3) Upload the File Under Option 2

4) Under Display Custom screen size choose Fixed

5) Then Click Get APK

Now We need to install J2ME on Android

1) Visit this

2) Click Download on the Newest Version

3) Copy it to your phone and install it via File Manager

4) Now Copy the APK (The one you converted) and install it

Once it's installed you can access it via App Manager in the App Drawer

Happy Javaing

Edited by Danh2122

Guest Hamijo
Sorry about this if you follow this guide, considering you're using the Ivy, it should work with Wi-fi etc..

Good Luck :)

Mmmm thank u but i'm not using the ivy, i am using the selina (the one from yoigo) and that didn work... at least it has resolved some problems, my phone now runs, but i'm still getting the T-Mobile logo at starting and it didn recognize my SIM card so i cant get any calls or make calls myself....:D at least wifi seems to work fine

Thanks hope i can resolve at least the sim trouble.

Guest Danh2122
Mmmm thank u but i'm not using the ivy, i am using the selina (the one from yoigo) and that didn work... at least it has resolved some problems, my phone now runs, but i'm still getting the T-Mobile logo at starting and it didn recognize my SIM card so i cant get any calls or make calls myself....:) at least wifi seems to work fine

Thanks hope i can resolve at least the sim trouble.

You could try using the same steps and code but with the stock ROM thats designed for your phone.

you may need to change a few lines of code to mathch any differences in your ROM, this should solve the Sim problems.

Guest Hamijo
You could try using the same steps and code but with the stock ROM thats designed for your phone.

you may need to change a few lines of code to mathch any differences in your ROM, this should solve the Sim problems.

I did that with the stock rom thats designed for my phone, the one downloaded from huawei's page in the first place, also did that with the one from movistar and it keeps showing me the t-mobile logo and still didnt ask for mi pin numbre, like no sim card is pluged-in, how can i know what files do i need to change names to? :S

also, i tried to recover via adb my backup but i cant do it, i get an "error: more than one device and emulator", and when i do adb devices shows 2 lines like this

? offfline

? device

the android-sdk is not running and the phone is on. Any ideas?

EDIT i restart my computer and now i can access via adb and run the nandroid-mobile.sh restore but it didnt work it says that didnt find a backup, (im of course in the backup folder in the adb shell) so i think i screwed my new phone :)

EDIT2: followed this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=532719 and i could restore the settings and all my data, however it stills shows the t-mobile logo at the startup and didnt recognize the sim... and the yoigo udata.app from huawei still doesnt work so i dont know what to do next.

Edited by Hamijo

Hi and thanks so much for the guide.

Could you please mention in post 4 whether we should be copying the zip file, the unzipped directory or the individual unzipped folders to the SD card?

(Actually, this becomes pretty obvious by reading the rest of the post but it might be worth the clarification anyway)

Another thing - is there an easy way to get my apps and settings back or do I just need to reinstall and reconfigure everything?

Edited by insx

Guest Danh2122
Hi and thanks so much for the guide.

Could you please mention in post 4 whether we should be copying the zip file, the unzipped directory or the individual unzipped folders to the SD card?

(Actually, this becomes pretty obvious by reading the rest of the post but it might be worth the clarification anyway)

Another thing - is there an easy way to get my apps and settings back or do I just need to reinstall and reconfigure everything?

Thanks for the feedback i'll update the guide with the suggestions :)