I9000 screen replacement?

Guest pekkala89

Guest pekkala89

Has anyone bought and installed THIS set which is on sale at ebay? My galaxy's screen cracked and I need an replacement. Both screen and glass broke. I think that this set includes them both. There is also told in the questions that the set infact includes amoled display and not LCD as the title says. Second question is that does someone have an service manual somewhere. Would be nice to know how to break apart my phone when replacing screen. Third question is that doesn't samsung vibrant and galaxy s share the same chassis but different screen with more capacitive buttons. Could it be possible to install vibrant's screen to galaxy s?

PS. The way my galaxy brokedown is very funny. I lay down my phone on the kitchen table and the screen cracked. I was like OMFG when I heard the cracking noise. Phone was like 13 days old. Samsung does not repair it with warranty because they think that it wasn't an manufacturing defect. They said that I have dropped my phone and that's the way it broke. That could not be the case because I handled it like a baby. I would have to pay 255€ for new screen and digitizer. Hell no!! I'm a student so that sum does not fit with my wallet.

Edited by pekkala89

Guest Kilack
Has anyone bought and installed this set which is on sale at ebay? My galaxy's screen cracked and I need an replacement. Both screen and glass broke. I think that this set includes them both. There is also told in the questions that the set infact includes amoled display and not LCD as the title says. Second question is that does someone have an service manual somewhere. Would be nice to know how to break apart my phone when replacing screen. Third question is that doesn't samsung vibrant and galaxy s share the same chassis but different screen with more capacitive buttons. Could it be possible to install vibrant's screen to galaxy s?

PS. The way my galaxy brokedown is very funny. I lay down my phone on the kitchen table and the screen cracked. I was like OMFG when I heard the cracking noise. Phone was like 13 days old. Samsung does not repair it with warranty because they think that it wasn't an manufacturing defect. They said that I have dropped my phone and that's the way it broke. That could not be the case because I handled it like a baby. I would have to pay 255€ for new screen and digitizer. Hell no!! I'm a student so that sum does not fit with my wallet.

You seriously just lay down the phone? It must have been damanged earlier and had a hairline crack in it already?

Haha I bet there were some nice words coming out of your mouth when you heard the cracking noises!

Edited by Kilack

Guest JaGuR

That is an LCD,

Samsungs, have amoled, or super amoled, to be precise

edit: Sorry, did finish reading your post :)

OLED, won't be as good as Samsungs Super amoled :/

Edited by JaGuR

Guest pekkala89
That is an LCD,

Samsungs, have amoled, or super amoled, to be precise

edit: Sorry, did finish reading your post :)

OLED, won't be as good as Samsungs Super amoled :/

Where does it say anything about oled. On the ebay site the seller says it's amoled "maybe super amoled" but he also says that it is original samsung.

Guest karakake

Replacing AMOLED screen costs 255€??? This sounds weird since Samsung only charges USD $100 for whole screen replacement in Korea.

I can provide you a screenshot of receipt form a Korean news site (sth like Engadget?)

Or you might wanna send your SGS back to Korea where they will fix it since i9000 is under world warranty

Guest karakake

well I wouldn't have mentioned the price if I knew it wasn't his fault. The reason I mentioned the term "world warrany" is that Samsung in Korea have an obligation to fix his screen at minumum cost, rather than refuse it

Guest pekkala89

Digitizer+Samoled set ordered from ebay. I should get it in two weeks. If possible I try to take pictures of the changing process and make an manual. I hope it's not glued tight to the chassis.

Guest pekkala89

Removed my screen today, now waiting for new arriving from Hong Kong. I took couple of photos after the screen was removed. You can see the two sensors at the bottom where I had to be very careful when removing screen. It felt like they would rip apart anytime. My luck was that the glue used was very soft and by prying very slowly the screen removed easily. Took about 30min to remove but would have gone faster if my screen wouldn't been shattered near home button. Little glass and amoled pieces are everywhere. I recommend to keep safety glasses on when removing screen because it shatters easily and pieces fly long way. My hand is now like a disco ball. Tools used are seen on the photos. I also used a little kitchen knife but not much so I didn't include it in the photo. There are still little pieces of glass which I have to remove before applying new screen. Gotta figure out how to remove those.

100815192636.th.jpg

100815192655.th.jpg

100815192747.th.jpg

100815192847.th.jpg

100815192925.th.jpg

100815192948.th.jpg

100815193000.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pekkala89
Hi,

So, have you received your screen ? and have you install it in your phone ?

I have the same problem: please how have you disassembly the screen, have you follow the video here: http://www.careace.net/2010/06/09/disassem...msung-galaxy-s/ ?

thanks for your answer

No I haven't received new screen yet. It's being posted from Hong Kong. It's supposed to be here next monday or tuesday. I may try to work some manual for removing screen but I have school going so my time is very limited.

• 2 months later...
Guest grrwuff

Hi all. I've joined the club for SGS owners with cracked screen :)

post-783123-1288799400_thumb.jpg

Don't believe this: "Samsung Galaxy S Durability Test"

@ pekkala89:

You have ordered this LCD screen, but the SAMOLED is this one AMOLED -it's cheaper, i'm confused!!!

So which one should I order, u think?

Keep posting :)

Edited by grrwuff

Guest yadekul

Hi grrwuff,

Sorry about your cracked screen. I also know the feeling! I think all the Galaxy S screens on ebay are the same (Super AMOLED) just with different prices.

I would strongly urge you to be cautious about purchasing from this seller. I bought a replacement screen for my Galaxy S from them and it arrived broken. I returned the screen in order to get a new replacement but they now claim more than a month later that they never received it!

So, whether it was broken when they sent it or it was damaged in transit doesn't really matter. I lost my money and have learned a lesson. These screens are such a delicate item that I would recommend purchasing your replacement from a seller that is NOT based in China. I got another one from here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT.

They are based in Canada and the screen arrived very quickly and in perfect condition. I haven't installed it yet, but will report back on how it goes.

Also, as you can see from the earlier posts, it is not a very easy task to remove the broken screen. So, if you can afford it, I think you should have your phone professionally repaired.

Cheers.

Guest yadekul

So I installed that screen today and it worked perfectly. The part number on the ebay replacement was exactly the same as the old screen. The display looks just as clear and crisp as I remember.

My only issue with install was that I hadn't quite removed enough of the old glue. This meant that when I connected the LCD to the phone to do a test the screen ended up sticking in place, so I didn't get to put any fresh glue in. So far the screen is holding in place very firmly but the home button and earpiece cover aren't quite sitting flush to the screen. No big deal though.

Guest grrwuff

@ yadekul:

Congrats with your "new" phone. I'll take your advice and seriously consider having my screen professionally replaced- the priming and gluing is precision work, as is with a glued car windscreen. Much can go wrong, I imagine/it seems!?

Dealer: The canadian ones seem to be sold out, so I may have to go for SB StoreOnline Hong Kong.

EBay: This will be my first purchase from EBay, so is it really all about having faith in each other, or does luck come in handy too? Suddenly the distance between Copenhagen and Hong-Kong seems HUGE...

About damaged goods: How about Track-Trace for your return shipping of the Hong-Kong screen?

You havn't by any chance photo ducumentation of the surgery or the finished work :)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yadekul

Hi,

Have you fitted a new screen yet? How did you go?

I found the hardest part was removing the broken screen. Putting the new screen in place is very easy. From looking at your picture, I think it will be a tricky job as the best spot to start removing the screen is at the point where the damage is greatest. Unfortunately in your case, the broken part is right on top of where a tiny sensor is glued to the glass. You would need to be very careful if you do it yourself.

I followed the photos and steps on this site http://galaxysguide.blogspot.com/ when replacing my screen. It was very helpful.

I note that Hong Kong Ebay seller still gets mostly good feedback, so I think you will be fine buying from them. I was just unlucky :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Luke

Edited by yadekul

Guest grrwuff

Well, no... but thanks for asking; I haven't recieved a new screen, as I haven't ordered any :huh: ...until just now [email=http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Display-Screen-Samsung-Galaxy-S-i9000-FreeShip-/280553741070?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item41524e5b0e]Hong Kong (very cheap). Funny thing, that everything works and no splinters of glass has come loose, but Your reply of yesterday made me take action. Thanks, yadekul :rolleyes:

Previously I've had some succeses repairing electronical devices by just banging my fist on top of radios and alarm clocks, but I'll gratefully take all advices and proceed very carefully and with patience. Heating up the glue, and maybe execute the whole operation in a large cardboard box, using a potato knife and not touching the glue surfaces with my bare fingers, seems a sensible way to get it done. Now wish me luck!

As for fitting, is it nessery to remove ALL the old glue before re-gluing the new screen? Maybe some chemical can dissolve the leftovers?

OT: Only detour is FROYO upgrade, which does NOT seem to have cured the lagging of the processor speed, now that FLASH eats it's part... Especially the genious "xScope 6" browser seems to struggle, so I have to find a fix to that. Turning off FLASH doesn't really count as a fix, does it now??

I'll be back/keep posting.

See U

Guest yadekul

Well, no... but thanks for asking; I haven't recieved a new screen, as I haven't ordered any :huh: ...until just now [email=http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Display-Screen-Samsung-Galaxy-S-i9000-FreeShip-/280553741070?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item41524e5b0e]Hong Kong (very cheap).

Oh no Grrwuff, I think this is the wrong part! :rolleyes: Will the seller let you cancel or change your order?

The part you have bought is the LCD only (the screen beneath the glass). From what you have said, your LCD is fine. You need to order a complete screen and digitizer set (Ebay search for "galaxy s digitizer"). It's best to buy the complete set as I have been told that separating the two is almost impossible.

Cheers

Guest grrwuff

Ooops, my bad :huh: I have contacted seller to clarify the matter, and this is his post:

Hi,

Thanks for your order first.

This listing is only for LCD for Samsung Galaxy i9000. But please don't worry! If you want the one including the touch screen, you may just add USD12 so we can buy a "LCD + Touch Screen" for you.

Do you accept this arrangement?

Please let us know by returning this message within 12 hours cause we need to buy the stock tomorrow.

Thanks,

- zenkili1005

Fair costumer service, fair price.

In another post in another forum, someone said that "LCD" and "SAMOLED" was all the same thing, so not to worry, but I didn't know the difference between "LCD Display Screen"(no top glass) and "LCD + Touch Screen"- still don't 'ish :rolleyes:

All's well that ends well.... thanks in abundance, dear yadekul :huh:

Keep posting

OT: I was a little unsure about this purchase, because this contact email appeared in "background": "[email protected]" :D

Guest iammodo

I will repair any samsung galaxy S with official screen ( not crappy fakes from ebay) for £120 or will buy the phone if you have smegged the repair up for £150

Edited by iammodo

Guest grrwuff

@iammodo

You're a true entrepreneur- wish I had it in my genes B) thanks for the offer, but I'll try myself and hope I'm not all thumbs. Happy hunting anyways...

Peter

Guest iammodo
@iammodo

You're a true entrepreneur- wish I had it in my genes B) thanks for the offer, but I'll try myself and hope I'm not all thumbs. Happy hunting anyways...

Peter

My job is to fix phones and my company work with Samsung so we get official parts.

So thought I would offer my services here.

When we order the screen for a i9000, the only bits we save are the mainboard and back case. So i know most on ebay are fakes as samsung dont offer just the glass or lcd.

Guest grrwuff

HI, I'm back PART I.

8 days of delivery from Hong Kong to Denmark :P I'm not sure I'll be able to change the screen that fast!?

So far super service, after mail correspondance to change the order to the right item, and subsequent additional invoice PAYPAL payment is top service from [email=http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Display-Screen-Samsung-Galaxy-S-i9000-FreeShip-/280553741070?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item41524e5b0e]Screen IMHO :D Nice job, SB ACESS STORE/LI MAN WAI :D

Paid (57,99+12) 69,99 USD.

The screen and "digitizer" seems genuine and in one whole piece with removable plastic screensavers on both sides.

post-783123-1290766516_thumb.jpg

Now, for the switching itself, check out PART II(coming soon)...

See U