WARNING: Do not debrand Desire's with SLCD panels

Guest cbkm

All,

We've had a few reports on the #modaco IRC channel now about people debranding (O2 [uK]) HTC Desires and being left with a phone with a black screen (fully functional otherwise, but nothing on the screen).

Currently - we believe this is because HTC Desires with the new SLCD panel have entered the market and support for these panels does NOT exist in the 1.21.405.X (stock) ROM.

I believe you can identify such Desires by examining the back of the box, and checking what it says for "Display" - if it doesn't mention AMOLED then the advice at present is to NOT debrand.

I imagine others, along with myself, will post corrections / updates to this thread as and when.

UPDATE: One user on IRC reports that this RUU has SLCD support so could be used to recover a black screen phone (with goldcard I guess).

(At present I think support in the stock OTA 2.2 for SLCD is unconfirmed.)

Edited by cbkm

Guest venturerider

I got mine running MCR. I used Unrevoked3, then ROM Manager to flash the new ROM. The only problem is the screen is blank while the recovery image is running. It's still running, though. You can see it by running top from adb shell.

Guest Tymmy Dee
I got mine running MCR. I used Unrevoked3, then ROM Manager to flash the new ROM. The only problem is the screen is blank while the recovery image is running. It's still running, though. You can see it by running top from adb shell.

did you need to use a goldcard with this method. was your phone branded?

Guest venturerider
did you need to use a goldcard with this method. was your phone branded?

Branded Telus phone. HBOOT 0.83.001. Used unrevoke3 to flash this recovery image. Then I used ROM Manager to flash MCR. As simple as that.

There is a long story about the SLCD display driver but in the end, the special recovery image takes care of the problem.

I don't think this would work with HBOOT 0.92.

Edited by venturerider

Guest rhedgehog
(At present I think support in the stock OTA 2.2 for SLCD is unconfirmed.)

2.2 should support the SLCD screens....originally HTC were not going to release the SLCD screens until after Froyo had been released, but i think they ran out a bit quicker than they thought they would....

Guest venturerider
2.2 should support the SLCD screens....

I'm running it now on the Telus Desire!!

Edited by venturerider

• 1 month later...
Guest billd2439

Hi Guys, Ive just done the latest desire with the help of a gold card and the new android 2.2 (froya) from the htc rom dump.My existing version was 1.22.61.1. The new version is 2.10.405.2 and working perfectly.Check out this post http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932...-available.html compliments of teppic74.

It works perfectly even on a orange desire (and ofcourse debrands it). If you need any more info pm me. :P

HTC Desire A8181.

Edited by billd2439