Dell Streak 2.1 update (21 devices) - Download here!

Guest rza.android

Guest Rory Dickens
OK i may have royally messed up my streak now!

Right i have a 21 and tried to update using the standar vol buttons method,

it seemed fine but got stuck on the dell logo.

I then tried to mount my sd card in pc and it wouldn't let me rename the 1.6 update.pkg file i had on the sd.

Infact i can't rename or edit any files on the sd when it's in my pc.

So i tried the clockwork recovery rom 1.8X and formattedt he sd with that. but am still unable to write to the sd in pc mode.

So i updated to the new 2.5 clockwork recovery and now the fastboot mode doesnt work at all.

How do i get back to the standard boot loader volume buttons recover image.

HELP

tearing hair out

Tomorrow im calling dell, and blaming them for there buggy update.

leaked or not, i still got it off there website. sooooo there fault in my eyes. they can fix it for me.

Guys and girls - forget fastboot. Just use dell's recovery mode!

like everyone else i am frustrated that this doesn't work on my us dell streak bb-00 aws. so we are trying everything and anything. coming from the nexus one where i had first dibs to waiting really sucks but i'm sure a buiild for US streakers will be available sometime next week (i'm hoping for this weekend)

Guest XsCode
Nonsense, ES File Explorer doesn't recognise it!

What's nonsense? I clicked the pkg file and it ran just like you can with an apk file... it's nothing special to es file explorer it's just what i used. Why would i lie???

Tomorrow im calling dell, and blaming them for there buggy update.

leaked or not, i still got it off there website. sooooo there fault in my eyes. they can fix it for me.

you're an idiot...

it wasn't "Off their website" nor was it OTA so it's not official...

its because of this foolish attitude that forums get into trouble..

Guest popetodd

Damn straight!

Anyone who doesn't understand that we are messing around with beta (and sometimes alpha) releases is in way over their heads doing any of this stuff!

There is NO support for ANY of this, if you brick your phone it's your own fault for not understanding the risks and taking the precautions.

In other words if you don't feel confident recovering a phone you bricked then don't even try this kind of stuff, stick to the OTA's and install stable well tested releases because the facts are that while everyone here will do their best to help you recover your gear there is a significant chance that if YOU are not competent enough to do most of the figuring out and required work then your phone will remain a brick.

Think hard on this before trying this stuff at home, the number of near bricking incidents I read about here today is alarming and most of you that recovered got lucky.

And every one of you that couldn't figure out on your own that the release was for 21 only (as stated in the thread name, the file name and the web site address) and that it wouldn't work on your 31 or 00 device (even after having it told to you 3 times on every page of the thread), well, you should just back away from the keyboard and wait for the OTA.

Seriously.

Edited by popetodd

Guest Rory Dickens
you're an idiot...

it wasn't "Off their website" nor was it OTA so it's not official...

its because of this foolish attitude that forums get into trouble..

Damn straight!

Anyone who doesn't understand that we are messing around with beta (and sometimes alpha) releases is in way over their heads doing any of this stuff!

There is NO support for ANY of this, if you brick your phone it's your own fault for not understanding the risks and taking the precautions.

In other words if you don't feel confident recovering a phone you bricked then don't even try this kind of stuff, stick to the OTA's and install stable well tested releases because the facts are that while everyone here will do their best to help you recover your gear there is a significant chance that if YOU are not competent enough to do most of the figuring out and required work then your phone will remain a brick.

Think hard on this before trying this stuff at home, the number of near bricking incidents I read about here today is alarming and most of you that recovered got lucky.

And every one of you that couldn't figure out on your own that the release was for 21 only (as stated in the thread name, the file name and the web site address) and that it wouldn't work on your 31 or 00 device (even after having it told to you 3 times on every page of the thread), well, you should just back away from the keyboard and wait for the OTA.

Seriously.

Woah guys didnt mean to cause offence, and yeah i downloaded the 2.1 update straight through the updater on my phone... through there website, non of this, UPDATE.pkg rubbish.

Its not bricked, its just not downloading from marketplace and updating my facebook contacts. Thats dells fault. Not mine.

They released a buggy release, maybe by mistake but still there own doing.

Why should i have to suffer cause of it? Its not like i messed around with rooting it or anything, i just followed dells own steps to update.

Woah guys didnt mean to cause offence, and yeah i downloaded the 2.1 update straight through the updater on my phone... through there website, non of this, UPDATE.pkg rubbish.

Its not bricked, its just not downloading from marketplace and updating my facebook contacts.

Popping out of the bomb shelter quickly to say the marketplace issue is most likely a cache issue which needs to be cleaned out. Phonebook 2.0 does facebook sync with contacts (and yes I know the irony of suggesting a marketplace app when you can't download it). I found dell's implementation buggy anyways so I am glad it is gone.

Gonna go back and hide. But I suggest that disclaimer two posts above be moved into the first post if possible, with keyswords bolded and stuff.

Guest Fawaad

Wow guys. Great stuff.

Just got it working on my stock Sim-free (unlocked) Dell Streak bought from Dell

I had the same issue last night so was thinking of waiting for the official release.

I am not sure why are people going back to 1.6. Even this is Beta, it is way better than the original one.

It's snappy and everything works. I actually liked the new keyboard. Also, Swype starts working with no force closing.

I didn't have any issue with Market.

Anyways, for those who couldn't get this running on 00 model, I had to flash it to 21.

The only drawback is it now shows O2 logo (which is removable). Its still unlocked as I am using it on 3 Australia.

Apart from what everyone has quoted here on getting this running, I had to:

1. Flash the Koush's custom Recovery (Thread, Directlink)

2. Install the Modaco ROM using Recovery. You need to select Update.pkg which will start the custom recovery. In custom recovery screen, choose option to apply rom update.zip - I think 2nd option from the menu. (this changes the Model to 21) (Thread, Directlink)

3. Flash stock Recovery (Thread, Directlink)

Just place the .img file from here into the same folder as in step 1 and rename it to the .img file name there. Follow the same steps on how to install Recovery using fastboot.

4. Place 2.1 package from this thread and rename it to Update.pkg in root of SD

5. Install the 2.1 beta from Recovery (i.e. PowerOff, PowerON + VolUp + VolDown)

The first time it started, I logged into Google account via 3G rather than Wifi (it might have worked otherwise, I guess)

Everything worked. I didn't have much to back up except apps which I did through Astro File Manager (Free).

Multi-touch works on the games I tested so far. The system looks more stable. I also did a few test calls. I was running System Lite to view the apps/processes running in the background. I experienced better task management, may be thanks to Eclair.

I can find two minor bugs so far:

* Although I couldn't reproduce it after booting the device, my screen orientation stopped changing automatically (May be caused by some app)

* You can't drag apps from the drop-down application list to the Home screen. (Work around is to add it directly from the Home using Short-cuts > Applications)

EDIT: Just updated some links for people who don't know their way arounds.

Please let me know if you need more help, with step by step guidance. I personally thinks it's not needed as everything is in these threads.

Edited by Paul

Its not bricked, its just not downloading from marketplace and updating my facebook contacts. Thats dells fault. Not mine.

They released a buggy release, maybe by mistake but still there own doing.

Why should i have to suffer cause of it? Its not like i messed around with rooting it or anything, i just followed dells own steps to update.

They did NOT release this. It was pulled from their staging area servers. Its not available by auto update and isnt for the general public. At best they will tell you to go away, at worst they could, in theory, prosecute you for using stolen IP. Android may be open source, but Dells own software is not.

Anyways, for those who couldn't get this running on 00 model, I had to flash it to 21.

The only drawback is it now shows O2 logo (which is removable). Its still unlocked as I am using it on 3 Australia.

Nice .. can you root it?

Mine's an 00 running the modaco ROM at the moment too.

Guest Fawaad
Nice .. can you root it?

Mine's an 00 running the modaco ROM at the moment too.

Just did it for your sake using Universal Androot. Mate you're gonna love it, it's so good.

I was nearly selling my device. This is a whole new experience. Thumbs up for Dell.

Just did it for your sake using Universal Androot. Mate you're gonna love it, it's so good.

I was nearly selling my device. This is a whole new experience. Thumbs up for Dell.

Mine just started up, no problem... i'm gonna root it now. At last! Can't wait for Froyo now. :D

So to summarize for others, Fawaad's method works for those with 00 Dell Beta Streaks. The Modaco ROM changes it to a 21, so the update works as expected.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! WORKS FOR ME!!! us beta streak on 2.1 now. (o2 splash screen shows up now lol)

Gallery app looks so cool!

EDIT: 720p recording too!! yay!!

Edited by Paul

Guest live_blues

cheers mate, managed to move from 00 to 21 with android 2.1 cause of your help. Question tho, I am in Oz as well but I cant log into the 3mobile towers for some reason. With any other phone I can, with the Streak I can only log into 3Telstra which pisses me off cause I have to pay roaming charges. Even Vodaphone denies me login. I cant even see the 3mobile network on the streak (1.6 and 2.1). Any clever ideas I missed?

cheers mate, managed to move from 00 to 21 with android 2.1 cause of your help. Question tho, I am in Oz as well but I cant log into the 3mobile towers for some reason. With any other phone I can, with the Streak I can only log into 3Telstra which pisses me off cause I have to pay roaming charges. Even Vodaphone denies me login. I cant even see the 3mobile network on the streak (1.6 and 2.1). Any clever ideas I missed?

3Telstra is actually the correct tower, as 3's 2100MHz network is a joint network between ... 3 and telstra.

When roaming, you'll be connected to Telstra or Vodafone.

Guest live_blues
3Telstra is actually the correct tower, as 3's 2100MHz network is a joint network between ... 3 and telstra.

When roaming, you'll be connected to Telstra or Vodafone.

Sigh

Yay for naming conventions :p

Cheers for clearification.

Guest dan13l

So if you turn a 00 into a 21 via this method, is there still a way to make it back into an 00 for warranty returns? (or when the puka 00 rom comes out).

Can Koush's recovery be used to directly flash a stock 00?

Guest Dunhamzzz

Have you setup your APN settings? When I updated to 2.1 it reset everything and the default settings were O2 so I had to change them manually.

Guest Fawaad
Sigh

Yay for naming conventions :D

Cheers for clearification.

Also there's an app in Android called Stop3GRoaming which will stop u from using internet while on Roaming/Telstra. A must have for everyone on Australian Three.

Guest Fawaad
So if you turn a 00 into a 21 via this method, is there still a way to make it back into an 00 for warranty returns? (or when the puka 00 rom comes out).

Can Koush's recovery be used to directly flash a stock 00?

Yes that should be possible as far as you have a Custom Rom similar to Modaco's Custom Rom.