Quality of finish on the Galaxy S (epic fail)

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm very unimpressed with the quality of finish on my Galaxy S.

I treat my phone VERY carefully, transporting it always in a pocket on it's own and cleaning it periodically with a soft cloth, the same way I look after all my phones. Simple reason: I like my phone to look good as new and I like to preserve any resale value.

I'm sad to say that the Galaxy S is probably one of the worst phones i've owned with regards to longevity of finish... I already have some issues such as...

• The main action button is scratched and has a 'wear dot' in the centre where it is pressed
  • The back cover is scratching easily on the edges and the top left and right corners are very 'cloudy' and scratched
  • The bottom corners on the back cover are also looking worn

Now, the back cover wearing I could probably cope with (I could just get a new back cover), but the action button wear is totally unacceptable. I've not had the phone long and don't abuse it or even excessively use it.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

I'll post some pics in a bit.

P

Guest Mike Beecham
I'm very unimpressed with the quality of finish on my Galaxy S.

I treat my phone VERY carefully, transporting it always in a pocket on it's own and cleaning it periodically with a soft cloth, the same way I look after all my phones. Simple reason: I like my phone to look good as new and I like to preserve any resale value.

I'm sad to say that the Galaxy S is probably one of the worst phones i've owned with regards to longevity of finish... I already have some issues such as...

• The main action button is scratched and has a 'wear dot' in the centre where it is pressed
  • The back cover is scratching easily on the edges and the top left and right corners are very 'cloudy' and scratched
  • The bottom corners on the back cover are also looking worn

Now, the back cover wearing I could probably cope with (I could just get a new back cover), but the action button wear is totally unacceptable. I've not had the phone long and don't abuse it or even excessively use it.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

I'll post some pics in a bit.

P

Well Paul,

I would say that the most annoying feature of the phone's design (so far) is the little raised bit above the speaker....this kind of screams out "I want to be scratched, so I'm going to be!". This showed signs of wear first of all, due to me placing it on tables, etc. However the back cover has shown signs of minor scratches already. That said, I did shell out on a ADVERTISING SPAM silicone case for the back, so I dont mind so much now.

With regards to the front, I've not noticed anything wearing away, especially around the 'capacitive" buttons. I will, of course, keep an eye out on that...but perhaps it's only an issue on some handsets.

I make this last statement, but I think I saw a post over at XDA, where the bezel corners showed unequal gaps around the handset...whereas mine seems fine.

Guest unfnknblvbl

I've always thought the SGS felt very 'cheap' and indeed, my main concern upon handling mine for the first time was just how long the finish would last for, especially the way the "with Google" and "Samsung" logos are painted on the surface of the rear case.

I hope somebody can make a nice replacement rear cover for it from some kind of metal (titanium? :D)

Guest SoreGums

I've had mine since they came out, so a month?

i put in my pocket with keys and don't treat that well other than making sure I don't drop it.

still looks brand new :/

I definetly think it feels cheap compared to the desire however having played with the desire (we got 5 for the office 2 days before galaxy was announced, glad I waited a few days :D ) the screen on it sucks for moving your finger. if the desire had the swype kb I think it would suck compared to the slippery-ness of the galaxy's screen

Edited by SoreGums

Guest Igniztion

I have similar issues. I take care of my devices and have owned quite a lot which I have sold in near mint condition after 6 months to a year of use. I always keep the devices in a pocket, or a carrying case, on it's own.

After a bit more than a month the Galaxy S has:

- Scratch on the screens' upper right corner of the viewport. No idea how I could've scratched the screen.

- Main action button is scratched and looks worn.

- Back cover is noticably worn and looks a lot worse than the HTC Hero I used for more than a year.

Guest Mike Beecham

So is there something that we can do about these issues? force either the network provider or Samsung to start making replacements? If the build quality is that bad, then they have some responsibility to change them...especially since they are now heavily advertising the phones on UK television?

I have similar issues. I take care of my devices and have owned quite a lot which I have sold in near mint condition after 6 months to a year of use. I always keep the devices in a pocket, or a carrying case, on it's own.

After a bit more than a month the Galaxy S has:

- Scratch on the screens' upper right corner of the viewport. No idea how I could've scratched the screen.

- Main action button is scratched and looks worn.

- Back cover is noticably worn and looks a lot worse than the HTC Hero I used for more than a year.

Coupled with the epic lag fail I'm seriously unimpressed!

P

Guest grassiekuik
I've always thought the SGS felt very 'cheap' and indeed, my main concern upon handling mine for the first time was just how long the finish would last for, especially the way the "with Google" and "Samsung" logos are painted on the surface of the rear case.

I hope somebody can make a nice replacement rear cover for it from some kind of metal (titanium? :D)

And lose the reception? Mine is arriving today though. I have had it with another phone as well. I have returned that one and got the Tytn II instead.

So is there something that we can do about these issues? force either the network provider or Samsung to start making replacements? If the build quality is that bad, then they have some responsibility to change them...especially since they are now heavily advertising the phones on UK television?

Realistically, I doubt there's much we can do... I might hit up Samsung PR tho and see what they say. Be useful for everyone with a Galaxy S to report their experiences on this topic tho.

P

Guest Mike Beecham

Wow, your main button is bad mate...very bad. Mine does not have a single mark on it, but I'm not sure that I use it that much. Perhaps the advice is to get it shipped with a protective case of some kind...maybe a screen shield also?

Wow, your main button is bad mate...very bad. Mine does not have a single mark on it, but I'm not sure that I use it that much. Perhaps the advice is to get it shipped with a protective case of some kind...maybe a screen shield also?

I shouldn't have to. I don't on any other device!

P

Guest Mike Beecham
Realistically, I doubt there's much we can do... I might hit up Samsung PR tho and see what they say. Be useful for everyone with a Galaxy S to report their experiences on this topic tho.

P

If someone can grab a main point of contact then I think it's something that we should definately do. I guess with more and more contact to Samsung, they might do something. To a degree I'm now regretting my decision not to get a HTC Desire...mind you, I've been pretty happy with the phone since getting a lag fix onto the handset.

On that point Paul, you tweeted recently that you were going to work on a decent lagless rom (or a fix...cant remember)...how's that going? Any progress?

If someone can grab a main point of contact then I think it's something that we should definately do. I guess with more and more contact to Samsung, they might do something. To a degree I'm now regretting my decision not to get a HTC Desire...mind you, I've been pretty happy with the phone since getting a lag fix onto the handset.

On that point Paul, you tweeted recently that you were going to work on a decent lagless rom (or a fix...cant remember)...how's that going? Any progress?

Yeah, a JP3 lagfixed repack is nearly ready, hopefully up this week.

P

Guest Mike Beecham
I shouldn't have to. I don't on any other device!

P

No, I know...it's a valid point you make. However, I dont see that even contacting Samsung will change the materials that they use to make the handset, so something else will need to be done?

Guest LadFromWales

Mine so far is doing pretty good. I keep it in a Mofi pouch from eBay, and it's either in there or in my hand.

The home button has micro scratches that I can see when held into the light. I was mostly concerned about scratching the chrome surround, but it's perfect so far. No scratches that I can see on the back, but I've not a bright ligh to check with atm.

Definitely looks easier to damage then the Nexus I swapped for this.

Guest Mike Beecham
Yeah, a JP3 lagfixed repack is nearly ready, hopefully up this week.

P

I think that will go SOME WAY to elevating the negative feelings toward the handset...at least with no lag people can then begin to focus on the external issues. Mind you, I think a lot of people are hoping that the forthcoming official Samsung release will solve a lot of the software issues. Let's face it, in terms of software there's no way Samsung is going to have a worse track record now than HTC...who epically failed with software fragmentation and did nothing to change that.

Guest Igniztion
Coupled with the epic lag fail I'm seriously unimpressed!

P

At least the lag can be fixed by some clever hacking.

I find it strange that the Galaxy S has these build quality problems. My gf has used a Galaxy Spica for quite a while without it showing signs of being worn at all. It seems the weight shedding team on the Galaxy S made some poor design decisions.

Guest Mike Beecham
Mine so far is doing pretty good. I keep it in a Mofi pouch from eBay, and it's either in there or in my hand.

The home button has micro scratches that I can see when held into the light. I was mostly concerned about scratching the chrome surround, but it's perfect so far. No scratches that I can see on the back, but I've not a bright ligh to check with atm.

Definitely looks easier to damage then the Nexus I swapped for this.

The annoying thing is though...when the phone is working, it's STUNNING. My wife has my Hero now (she loves it), but even with custom roms on the Hero my SGS is still MUCH better overall. The lag fixed changed the aesthetic feel to my phone a LOT, and I enjoy it very much now...I guess it's now about keep the aesthetics externally nice and pristine.

That said, the first impression of the handset is that it's a little cheap and nasty!

To add in here, my crappy budget T-Mobile Pulse has been used to death, but is still as black as it was when I bought it.

Can't say I treat it too well either!

Wow! Your phone looks quite terrible, Paul. How you thread your phone?? :D

I have had my phone almost 2months (got it 24.06) and it still looks almost like a new. Yes, surely a plastic covers collects scratches, and that home button made from cheap plastic was a fail, but mine phone doesn't look that awful! :D