T-Mobile UK announcement regarding removal of 2.1 for the Pulse

Guest Simon O

Guest Simon O
Hi,

We want to give all of our customers a great experience when they use our products and services. After receiving feedback on the recent T-Mobile Pulse Android 2.1 software update we've decided to suspend it temporarily. We're working with the phone's makers on an updated version which is expected in October.

Any customer experiencing issues with the Android 2.1 update on the T-Mobile Pulse should reinstall the December 2009 Android 1.5 software offered on our help and support website here.

Regards

Stefan

Forum Team

Guest Simon O

T-Mobile UK have removed the 2.1 update. What does this mean for me as a user?

The exact reasons for the update being removed have, so far, not been given. Based on reports in this forum we believe the issue may be to do with the low-memory issue which affects the sending and receiving of SMS messages, but it could also be related to the small amount of space for applications.

T-Mobile UK state that you can download the phone using the December 1.5 update. Should I do this?

We know from experience that downgrading to the December update is impossible unless you use the small fix provided by Huawei. It is not clear at this stage if T-Mobile will be offering this fix or are even aware of it.

Update: It appears that you can downgrade to 1.5 using the December Update on a phone that was updated with the UK 2.1 ROM without the use of the time machine fix.

Will running the UK 2.1 update on my Pulse affect my warranty?

Unclear at this stage although I am trying to get a definite answer from T-Mobile. As it's unlikely that the December update will install this will leave users in a situation where they are running an update that is not permitted by T-Mobile.

Does the removal of the official UK 2.1 update mean that the various custom ROMs also have issues?

The custom ROMs have been designed to be as stable and lean on resources as possible. Most of the known issues are either resolved or reduced to a very low level.

The SMS receiving issue concerns me a lot. Is there any way to fix this for good?

The SMS issue is caused by the device becoming low in free memory. There are various theories for what exactly happens on the phone but so far we don't have a definite fix. However it has been shown that reducing the number of memory hungry widgets and applications can reduce the issue to a very low level and using a replacement system launcher such as ADW can reduce the issue even more.

Edited by flibblesan

Guest Daz555

Updated version? Let's hope this ends up meaning Froyo! In the meantime it would be great if they could release the current 2.1 source regardless.

Guest robot1000
Will running the UK 2.1 update on my Pulse affect my warranty?

Unclear at this stage although I am trying to get a definite answer from T-Mobile. As it's unlikely that the December update will install this will leave users in a situation where they are running an update that is not permitted by T-Mobile.

Surely that can't be the case because afaik, they can't tell when the 2.1 update was installed and therefore one can just claim it was installed when it was available from their website

Guest Simon O
...and it still is available on their site.

It was removed from the page, although not the server. The official line is to install the December update on the phones instead. I'm waiting for a reply to this as we know the december update won't allow you to downgrade from a newer rom.

Guest Daz555
So if they remove the 2.1 update they will not release the 2.1 source neither? :huh:

Who knows. Hope this does not happen.

Maybe we can convince someone at T-Mobile to leak it if they decide not to post it officially.

Edited by Daz555

T-Mobile UK state that you can download the phone using the December 1.5 update. Should I do this?

We know from experience that downgrading to the December update is impossible unless you use the small fix provided by Huawei. It is not clear at this stage if T-Mobile will be offering this fix or are even aware of it.

I still had the december update in a folder on my sd card, I just renamed the folder and applied the december update back over the official 2.1 with no problem at all. I wasn't even aware of a fix, time to start searching the forum to find out what it does!

Guest Simon O
So if they remove the 2.1 update they will not release the 2.1 source neither? ;)

Huawei have already given permissions for T-Mobile UK to provide the code. But as the rom was removed from the website there is no way that T-Mobile would publish the code online. We would need T-Mobile to give us the code directly, which I'm trying to do.

It's funny how we've been trying to get T-Mobile to give us an update regarding the removal of the 2.1 update for over a week but yesterday an Engadget editor sent them a message on twitter asking why it was taken down and this morning we get an official announcement.

Now if only we could get him to ask for the source :huh:

Edited by flibblesan

Huawei have already given permissions for T-Mobile UK to provide the code. But as the rom was removed from the website there is no way that T-Mobile would publish the code online. We would need T-Mobile to give us the code directly, which I'm trying to do.

It's funny how we've been trying to get T-Mobile to give us an update regarding the removal of the 2.1 update for over a week but yesterday an Engadget editor sent them a message on twitter asking why it was taken down and this morning we get an official announcement.

Now if only we could get him to ask for the source ;)

Do you think it would be any idea to ask my swedish operator Tre about the source code? :huh:

Guest Simon O
I still had the december update in a folder on my sd card, I just renamed the folder and applied the december update back over the official 2.1 with no problem at all. I wasn't even aware of a fix, time to start searching the forum to find out what it does!

Hm interesting, thanks for that report.

Edited by flibblesan

Guest wideawakewesley

Now if only we could get him to ask for the source :huh:

Richard Lai, the engadget editor in question, is someone I'm friendly with. If you think it might help I can ask him to ask. Worst he can do is say no.

Edited by wideawakewesley

Guest Fusion0306
Richard Lai, the engadget editor in question, is someone I'm friendly with. If you think it might help I can ask him to ask. Worst he can do is say no.

Do it, please :huh:

Edited by Fusion0306

Guest DanWilson

Pretty please? With cheese on top!

Guest Simon O

I've had T-Mobile contact me on Twitter saying they are going to ask Huawei, but I know that Huawei have already given permission for the source to be released.

At the very least we need the 2.6.29 kernel source that Huawei supply so we can build our own kernels. What would be really fantastically helpful is to have the full vendor configuration from Huawei so we can pull the code from CodeAurora and compile it against the Huawei configuration. At the moment we can't do this without a lot of messing about.

Other manufacturers like HTC publish the vendor configuration through the AOSP. Huwei use CodeAurora, but it doesn't make much difference as Android is built the same regardless of where the code is from.

If there is anything you can do that would be fantastic. If you can also arrange for us all to have new phones too that would be wonderful :huh:

Guest DanWilson
I've had T-Mobile contact me on Twitter saying they are going to ask Huawei, but I know that Huawei have already given permission for the source to be released.

At the very least we need the 2.6.29 kernel source that Huawei supply so we can build our own kernels. What would be really fantastically helpful is to have the full vendor configuration from Huawei so we can pull the code from CodeAurora and compile it against the Huawei configuration. At the moment we can't do this without a lot of messing about.

Other manufacturers like HTC publish the vendor configuration through the AOSP. Huwei use CodeAurora, but it doesn't make much difference as Android is built the same regardless of where the code is from.

If there is anything you can do that would be fantastic. If you can also arrange for us all to have new phones too that would be wonderful :huh:

Can you explain to me the point in the vendor config and how to make one? (Not a full guide just like a run through - how hard would it be?)

Guest wideawakewesley

If there is anything you can do that would be fantastic. If you can also arrange for us all to have new phones too that would be wonderful ;)

Passed on that additional info and I'd love for him to send us a boatload of HTC Desires, but I think that might be pushing it.

:huh:

Guest DanWilson
Passed on that additional info and I'd love for him to send us a boatload of HTC Desires, but I think that might be pushing it.

;)

Lulz. If this happened I would really host a LURVE Desire PARTAY on the Moon!

If this happens I'll need a Space Shuttle. Do you think he could get us one? :huh:

Guest Simon O
My guess is that this might have been the end of the road for Android 2.1 from TMo UK.

That is very likely. By October most devices will be on Froyo.

Dan: In a nutshell the vendor configuration allows you to use the Android build system to produce a working system for our phones. What hardware support we need, capabilities of the device etc.

Guest JimJam707
Lulz. If this happened I would really host a LURVE Desire PARTAY on the Moon!

If this happens I'll need a Space Shuttle. Do you think he could get us one? :huh:

No.

Guest Simon O

;)

Hey I'd be happy with a Galaxy S personally lol

Thanks for contacting him :huh:

Edited by flibblesan