Solitaire NG (Next Generation)

Guest JFDee

Hi, all,

I hope it's O.K. to announce new apps here. If not, please notify me.

I brushed up Ken Magic's Solitaire (it's Open Source) for use with newer Android devices.

It was an excellent hands-on intro to Android coding for me, but it might be interesting for others too.

Changes include so far:

• "Deal" menu entry for invisible decks

• Card size is adapted to screen resolution

• "Options" page replaced by a standard preferences list

Tested and optimized on the Dell Streak, but should run everywhere.

It is now available in the Android Market. Search for Solitaire NG.

Edit: here you can obtain the source code.

Josua Dietze

Edited by JFDee

Guest JoshGantt

Looks great, definite improvement!

Side note: the apk kept giving me an error on installation, but removing the previous version of Solitaire made it work.

... the apk kept giving me an error on installation, but removing the previous version of Solitaire made it work.

Thanks for testing!

I will look into that, I might have to change the namespace (which I tried to avoid) ...

• 1 month later...
Guest shocking2k
Get it from my server (for limited time): Solitaire NG

Edit: as reported, it might be necessary to deinstall the original "Solitaire" as the same namespace is used in NG.

Josua Dietze

Josua,

I installed this on my Motorola Droid 2 and it works great. I un-installed the previous version I am working on so I don't know if it would have installed that way. I am working on adjusting the card size for the screen size and was wondering if you would make your code available. I am curious if I'm on the right track. I'm a php/perl web guy, and haven't done Java in many years so I'm playing catchup and learning the Android platform too.

Thanks!

I am working on adjusting the card size for the screen size and was wondering if you would make your code available.

Done. See first post.

Note that I made it a proper Eclipse project, so if you follow the Android-Eclipse setup hints, this thing can do most of the footwork for you.

• 5 weeks later...

The first source code package had obviously lost the directory structure somewhere on the way. See first post for an update.

Also, the package is now available at the market.

Guest mwright

I have just tried this out on Desire HD and hit a problem.

Although the cards are the correct size - the numbers and "spots" on the cards are far too small to be read.

Is there any chance of fixing this?

Regards

Mike