07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest shadamehr
Yep, I did see where you mentioned that, but thought there was perhaps a possibility of an oversight. No matter. :)

Only other thing I can think of is an uninstall/reinstall of the Handcent app.

Alas:

...and even uninstalled and re-installed Handcent.

Please don't think me rude. I'm just seeing the funny side of things, rest assured mate, and indeed, thanks for your efforts to help too!

Guest fredaroony

I guess Paul only works on the flavour of the month phones and now given up on the Desire. Wish I would have known that before donating to this site. Hope you enjoy the money Paul!

Guest HugoQueiriga
I guess Paul only works on the flavour of the month phones and now given up on the Desire. Wish I would have known that before donating to this site. Hope you enjoy the money Paul!

Honestly, think about what you are about to write before you post it!

This thread will start becoming a child playground in a minute.

Guest absinthemeninded

Please don't be so daft!

Every time I check for r10 WIP - I die a little inside....

In all seriousness, Paul has done some fantastic work on the desire - you already have access resources that are well worth your money, and with a bit of patience I'm sure we can expect r10 soon.

Guest fredaroony
Please don't be so daft!

Every time I check for r10 WIP - I die a little inside....

In all seriousness, Paul has done some fantastic work on the desire - you already have access resources that are well worth your money, and with a bit of patience I'm sure we can expect r10 soon.

Umm... we have been patient enough as its nearly a month since the last so called "frequent" update. No point of having access to a "resource" that is now being left behind by many other ROMs.

At one point he was leading the Desire development but now he cant be bothered.

Guest fredaroony
Honestly, think about what you are about to write before you post it!

This thread will start becoming a child playground in a minute.

I did and I meant every word....

Guest Iceberger

Everyone here is waiting for Paul’s magic. But mind you, paying for the ad-free doesn’t give you the right to be offensive

Guest fredaroony
Everyone here is waiting for Paul’s magic. But mind you, paying for the ad-free doesn’t give you the right to be offensive

After being lied to and also paying for ad-free allows me to have an opinion. How can the truth be offensive?

Edited by fredaroony

After being lied to and also paying for ad-free allows me to have an opinion. How can the truth be offensive?

paying to be allowed to have an opinion and talking about "the truth" doesn't make any sense ...

Some of the posters in this thread need a long hard look at themselves and to grow up a bit.

Its only £10 a year, nobody forced you to pay it, and nobody promised you unlimited future updates for ever.

r10 will come, if you can not wait then go play with the other roms out there.

I have learnt so much from this site and others, I have rooted my phone(desire) and and my wifes(san francisco) and put custom roms on them both and unlocked the sanfran, that make them both better in everyday use. I had never touched an Android device until the desire, so was worried to start with.

I think personally that alone is worth the £10 to me, not to mention the expert knowledge that is available here for when you get stuck being a noob.

Guest fredaroony
paying to be allowed to have an opinion and talking about "the truth" doesn't make any sense ...

This is quoted from the start of this thread:

"This topic is for the WIP (work in progress) r9 release of my Desire ROM.

WIP ROMs are updated very frequently and as such are only available in the online kitchen until such time as they are considered 'complete' and prebakes are prepared."

Is it true or not?

Guest Raindroid

Im just as much a noob and paid for access to the kitchen, but no need to get so upset, you think being pissed off and going on about it will make it happen any faster?

Its 10GBP for the whole year from when you paid, thats less than 1 a month, yes you may be frustrated by the principal of paying for it then not getting it updated every week or whatever, but come on, not like you were forced in to it, and its not that much money. If Paul shows and and say he is ditching the desire, THEN we can get a little annoyed, lol.

Guest Ondra81

Oh please....take it easy everybody. I have also paid for ad-free. Since than there was no update at all. And guess what? I thing that access to online kitchen of R8 final, which is more customisable for me than any other ROM out there is MORE than enough for me to be happy and worth the money I paid.

So please stop crying and wait for R9 final, R10 WIP or whatever...

Edited by Ondra81

Alas:

Please don't think me rude. I'm just seeing the funny side of things, rest assured mate, and indeed, thanks for your efforts to help too!

Not at all, I didn't go back to your original post to check. Anyways as I said, I'm out of ideas, except for the one from left field - flash the latest LeeDroid rom, it's a rippa! I did it the other night, installed a couple of his add-ons, restored my data back-ups and haven't looked back!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=768703

Guest BashyUK
This is quoted from the start of this thread:

"This topic is for the WIP (work in progress) r9 release of my Desire ROM.

WIP ROMs are updated very frequently and as such are only available in the online kitchen until such time as they are considered 'complete' and prebakes are prepared."

Is it true or not?

Let's take a step back here: What changes are you expecting or wanting exactly? Secondly, if £10 was such a major investment for you then why did you invest so quickly? Why didn't you bide your time, see how many changes were made over say a 30 day period and then make an informed decison as to whether or not a tenner was worth spending? Don't blame others for you 'throwing' your money away (if that's what you feel you have done). :)

You talk about value for mney...if you hadn't rooted and used a custom ROM you would be paying a monthly fee which by the end of your contract would total a few hundred pounds (for me it's £25*24), for a stock ROM that will have had updates from the network provider only. Yet by paying a VOLUNTARY fee of £10, I have been able to update to 2.2 a month before I could have done had I waited for my NP and produced around 4 different flavours in a couple of months. How is that NOT VFM?

I'd also suggest not ranting at 3AM :)

Edited by BashyUK

Guest logicalextreme

Ack. I'm jumping on the "customisability" bandwagon. More than worth £10.

Add to that, if I ever got a second handset I'd have customisable ROMs for that paid for too.

Guest volatile_ink

£10 per year is less than 3p per day. For what you get for that, it's a bloody good deal.

Why do you want MCR to pump out ROM's like theres no tomorrow? Better that a ROM is released that's been tested and works and has the features that we need rather than a host of pointless updates with meaningless numbers attached to them that mean nothing to anyone. If you want to be a flash-monkey head over to XDA and try some of the fly-by-night ROM's they host.

Thats why I paid £10; stable, fast, rock-solid and customizable ROM's that do the job and don't require me to spend half my existence formatting, reinstalling and configuring a phone.

There's only so far the Desire can be pushed. Its not going to stay ahead of the game for long, when that happens either live with it or get a new device.

Basically, stop whining. :)

Edited by volatile_ink

Guest logicalextreme
£10 per year is less than 3p per day. For what you get for that, it's a bloody good deal.

I generally just compare the price of stuff to how much I pay out for cigarettes every month. It makes you realise the good value of a lot of things out there, and also how goddamned expensive cigarettes are (which I like to imagine will help me quit).

Guest logicalextreme
Thats why I paid £10; stable, fast, rock-solid and customizable ROM's that do the job and don't require me to spend half my existence formatting, reinstalling and configuring a phone.

Agreed on this as well. Nobody wants MS to release a new version of Windows every week; we'd spend our lives tweaking our profiles back up. Hell, if you're using a Linux distro (like the Ubuntus, or even SUSE) that updates every 6 months, that's painful enough.

Its only £10 a year, nobody forced you to pay it, and nobody promised you unlimited future updates for ever.

r10 will come, if you can not wait then go play with the other roms out there.

*sign*

And additionally:

Let Paul work at the new Desire phones because this will help us to become new features on our Desire!

ty, hf

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Agreed on this as well. Nobody wants MS to release a new version of Windows every week; we'd spend our lives tweaking our profiles back up. Hell, if you're using a Linux distro (like the Ubuntus, or even SUSE) that updates every 6 months, that's painful enough.

No questions about value for money; I have already said that earlier. And as for MS releasing new versions every week - well if installing and configuring Windows ever turned out to be as addictive as is flashing Paul's ROM, then I think we would all be complaining about them too.

But fortunately for me MS can never match Paul there, and I only have to handle one addiction - banging on F5 on the R9 thread to see if Paul has been up to something new.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest volatile_ink

Idea: Have a special on-line kitchen for whiners and wingers that will brick their phones. When they complain, call it a 'work in progress'! :)